Lord of the Vampires (Harlequin Nocturne) by…

Lord of the Vampires (Harlequin Nocturne)

by Gena Showalter

Series: Royal House of Shadows (1)

2203452,892 (3.24)2

English (33)  Hungarian (1)  All (34)
Lord of the Vampires
2 Stars

Synopsis:
Once a vampire renowned for his virility, Nicolai is currently a sex slave to a revolting family of witches. When he summons help, the most unlikely of women is unable to disobey his call. Jane Parker is a human scientist who finds herself in a magical realm and must save the life of the only man she has ever craved.

Review:
An intriguing reverse fairytale plot, however, the execution is exceedingly disappointing.

While I’m usually a fan of dominant alpha males, Nicolai is just too much for me – the man is a complete Neanderthal. Jane is supposed to be an intelligent scientist but comes across as a naïve and idiotic simpleton. While their sexual connection is intense and steamy, their dialogue is repetitive and ridiculous. Moreover, the villains are utterly grotesque, which is not that bad but they also come across as cartoonish.

The overall story premise has potential but events become repetitious as the book progresses. There is very little foundation or build up and explanations appear to be tacked on as an afterthought. For example, the idea of Nicolai’s amnesia and returning memory has promise but ultimately misses the mark because the process is difficult to follow with abrupt transitions between reality and memory, and Jane’s role in the return of his memories is under-developed and vague.

Overall, I found it difficult to suspend my disbelief and was unable to become immersed in the fantasy world. Nevertheless, I will most likely continue reading the series as I am interested in seeing how a different author handles the same themes and world.

Lord of the Vampires is scheduled for release on August 23, 2011. An advance copy of the book was provided to me for review by the publisher and NetGalley.com. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Meh ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Sadly DNF

This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Lord of the Vampires by Gena Showalter is book one in the Royal House of Shadows series by Gena Showalter, Jill Monroe, Jessica Andersen and Nalini Singh.

Sadly today’s Review is going to be a short one and with many “sadly” in it, because it’s my first DNF review since I started my blog.

I was very excited when I learn about this series, not just some great authors but two of my favorite authors (Gena Showalter and Nalini Singh) were getting together to write these books. I also loved the paranormal-fairy tale idea they were going to be based on.

Happy is an understatement of how I felt when I got my hands on Lord of the Vampires, but sadly this emotion didn’t last for long. After couple of pages into the book I was a little bit disappointed and confused I couldn’t believe this book was written by Mrs. Showalter, it didn’t feel like her at all.
I love Mrs. Showalter writing style and books, one of my all time favorite series (Lords of the Underworld) is written by her. So I really was expecting to love or at least like this book; it NEVER crossed my mind the possibility that I might DNF it.

I was talking with some people on Twitter about this book and my decision to DNF it, they asked me what was it that it didn’t work for me. My answer was the same one I will give you.

First and foremost I couldn’t connect with the main characters, I didn’t like neither hero nor heroine. Hero was supposed to be an alpha male but I felt he was just an animalistic brute. Heroine is supposed to be a very smart woman but I never felt it, she feels rather dumb. Their relationship is one of those “mine at first sight” but apart from that I didn’t feel any real connection between them.

Sometimes when you cannot connect with the main characters there is a good secondary character that saves the book, “sadly” that was not the case with Lord of the Vampires, the secondary characters were worst than the principals.

Something that really killed me was the dialogue or for better understanding the lack of it. All the conversations between characters were almost like “Me Tarzan, You Jane” kind of communication. This was not just between main characters but also with secondary characters.

My final thought: Sadly Lord of the Vampires wasn’t for me, this doesn’t mean I won’t read anything else from Mrs. Showalter because it’s not like that, I still love her and next September 27th I will be getting Darkest Surrender. It also doesn’t mean that I won’t read the following books of this series because I can guarantee you that I will. It was just that after 137 pages Lord of the Vampires wasn’t doing anything for me and I took the very difficult decision to stop reading it. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I have mixed emotions about this book. I enjoyed Jane and Nicoali's story but I think some of it was overly long and the ending was rushed. I guess I'm trying to say it wasn't paced well...... maybe. I'm not sure but I'm not feeling sunshine and rainbows about it overall. Despite that this had good characters and a pretty good "bad guy" and I'm definitely intrigued to check out the other stories in the series. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 7, 2014 |

Gena Showalterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bevier, GenvieveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Nicolai the Vampire was renowned for his virility, but in a twist of fate "The Dark Seducer" had become a sex slave in the kingdom of Delfina--stripped of his precious timepiece and his memory. ... In her dreams, a wanton vampire called to Jane Parker, drawing her to his dark sexuality and his magical realm. But for a human, all was not a fairy tale in Delfina. Jane was the key to Nicolai's memory--but exploiting her meant dooming the only mortal he craved"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,376,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible