Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (2012)

by Gillian Flynn

9,330904320 (3.86)4 / 819
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.

English (884)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (902)
Sorry, not a fan! If there’s anyone out there that still doesn’t know the “twist ending,” go ahead and give this a try – many critics certainly gave it glowing reviews. But this tale of “perfect marriage” gone horribly wrong left me feeling unentertained and merely a little icky.

It’s not that I have a problem with detestable characters. (Advanced warning, pretty much everyone in this novel is detestable on some level.) For instance, I thoroughly enjoyed Patricia Highsmith’s The Talented Mr. Ripley, to which this novel is often compared. I think my problem with this was that the protagonist, cheated spouse Amy, irked me from the outset. Unintentionally, I presume, she comes off not as a strong, confident woman, but as a vain, shallow creature willing to sell out her own values and gender in order to be perceived by her husband as a “cool girl.” This caused me to distrust her so intensely that when the “twist” was finally revealed, I found myself neither surprised nor particularly intrigued. Turns out it’s hard to generate suspense when you don’t give your reader any reason to care about what happens. Add to this a denoument that strained whatever credibility the story managed to sustain after the “twist” and hopefully that explains why this left me unentertained.

Mind you, I did find this novel to be sinister and disturbing … just not for the reasons the author intended. Rather, I feel that the book’s “sinister and disturbing” attribute is in positing that Amy’s actions were somehow justified because she was betrayed, when in fact she is the one who betrays herself and her gender, over and over again. In case you’re keeping track, that’s where the “icky” comes in. ( )
  Dorritt | Jul 31, 2015 |
I find it slightly amusing that most of the people I met who read this book (or watched the movie) thought that this book was disturbing, but something kinda hit me after I finished listening to this audiobook: should it be wrong that I feel strangely satisfied with this book? I really enjoyed how pretty much every single character in this books is not trustworthy, but at the same time there are so many intriguing things happening all the time. Every character has a dark nuance to their personalities. All of them are very human in the most sordid, ludicrous possible way, and I loved every bit of this distorted characteristic. Faults like vengeance and obsession are taken to a level that actually makes you feel bothered with what's going on, and the experience of going through the story was magnificently discomforting.
I really enjoyed this book in a distorted sort of way and can't wait to read/listen to other of Gillian Flynn's books. ( )
  aryadeschain | Jul 24, 2015 |
Deliciously Dark and Twisted

A great storyline and exceptional writing kept me turning pages in this psychological thriller. Loved the twists of unreliable narrators and I'm okay with not having a good guy to cheer. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't feel the start was slow (quite the opposite), and I felt the ending was a satisfactory outcome. It's not high literary fiction but a very well crafted story by a capable and creative writer who hooked me in completely. Will check out her other works now. ( )
  Zumbanista | Jul 20, 2015 |
Great book! Weak ending. ( )
  Braden_Timss | Jul 17, 2015 |
That ending was a complete and utter let down. Seriously? Apparently that was the 'big twist' everyone keeps talking about? Dumb. I'm giving it two stars because it wasn't the worst book I've ever read. There were points in the book where the story was really good; it kept you guessing and kept twisting everything around. Granted there were only about 140 pages that were interest and twisting. The beginning is long and drawn out. Ending is completely lame. L-A-M-E. I actually furrow my brows and said "really?" out loud after finishing that. Bleh.

Amy and Nick? Deplorable, insufferable, completely unlikable people. I know that's kind of the point, but still. It was like I was constantly eye-rolling because I couldn't even handle them.

Glad I read it? Nope. Would I suggest it to anyone? Only if you like huge let downs after reading 400 pages and boring chapters of characters basically saying "oh why me?! poor me?!". Soo, no.

Lots of hype - huge let down.

*shrug* you cannot win them all. ( )
  MermaidxLibrarian | Jul 16, 2015 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,479,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible