Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl

by Gillian Flynn

14,1461240246 (3.86)4 / 987
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.
    In the Woods by Tana French (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Unreliable narrators, psychopaths, unsympathetic characters who miss their chance at redemption
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)

English (1,212)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Catalan (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (1,237)
Nick's wife disappears and he becomes the primary suspect. Excellent read, with many, many twists! ( )
  addunn3 | Sep 18, 2018 |
Holy unreliable narrators, Batman! This book is much better if you go into it knowing you will hate all the characters and treat it as a puzzle and a character study. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Engrossing, good read. ( )
  jslantz1948 | Sep 15, 2018 |
Engrossing, good read. ( )
  jslantz1948 | Sep 15, 2018 |
** spoiler alert **

Gone Girl took me on a roller-coaster ride of feelings toward the two main characters, Nick and Amy. As Amy's diary entries begin to reveal more and more of Nick's 'dangerous' marital behavior, I began to feel that Nick was, in fact, the bad guy. Then it became obvious that Amy was a true psychotic, sociopathic person who was up to something. About halfway through the book it was revealed that Amy was alive and well. For about a hundred pages thereafter, my opinion of Nick changed negatively. Amy almost led readers to believe that she was right in making Nick suffer to such an extreme. Even as a male reader, I thought for a while that Nick was the one who caused everything and that he actually married her for her money. After a while though, it became clear that Amy was a very devious and controlling woman. Her ability to plan her demonic scheme for a full year is evident that she really is a mental case.

Gillian Flynn has an incredibly dark imagination which has led to the creation of this story about marriage. Is this a revenge story? Is it a story of simple psychosis? Men (and women) cheat in their marriages for many different reasons. Nick says its because he could never make Amy happy. Amy took Nicks cheating as a complete surprise and never found fault in herself. I mean, it takes two to tango and vice versa. The elaborate plan to frame Nick for his wife's murder is a bit extreme, but what else could you expect from a sociopathic crazy woman from hell.

So, in the end, the couple remain together and Amy gets away with murder! Nick is truly addicted to his wife in a sick way because any man that is fully in control of his faculties would never stay with a woman like Amy. For Amy, the whole charade of planning the frame job and seeing it through to the end is, in her mind, the equivalent of completing a beautiful symphony. Amy really is 'Amazing Amy' after all and Nick is just the timid weak-willed husband on a leash. At least that is what Amy has manipulated them into believing. ( )
  Scorched_Earth | Sep 11, 2018 |
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graziosi, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zani, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from police and the media -- as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents -- the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter -- but is he really a killer? As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they really know the one they love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible