Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (2012)

by Gillian Flynn

7,583757451 (3.87)3 / 669
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (730)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (742)
So, how well do you really know the people closest to you? How well can you know another person, really, truly, their mind, their heart, their brain?

I don’t read suspense or mystery novels, so when Gone Girl first appeared I pretty much ignored it as “not my thing.” However, after the many - many - rave reviews plus lots of people I know gushing about it I finally decided to give it a try.

So glad I did. Gone Girl lives up to the hype! It’s pretty much an all-round excellent read, the kind that sucks you and demands you keep turning those pages. Flynn can really write - she gets characters down that are so real, so three-dimensional. Her descriptions of living in recession-struck suburbia are timely and fascinating. Her insight into the effects of the Internet on everything from people’s jobs, to the shaping of their personalities, to the law - is keen and sometimes brutal and paints such a clear picture of the modern world and modern people.

My favourite quote (it’s not spoilery):

”We were the first human beings who would never see anything for the first time. We stare at the wonders of the world, dull-eyed, underwhelmed. Mona Lisa, the Pyramids, the Empire State Building. Jungle animals on attack, ancient icebergs collapsing, volcanoes erupting. I can’t recall a single amazing thing I’ve seen firsthand that I didn’t immediately reference to a movie or a TV show. A fucking commercial. You know the awful singsong of the blasé: Seeen it. I’ve literally seen it all, and the worst thing, the thing that makes me want to blow my brains out, is: The secondhand experience is always better. The image is crisper, the view is keener, the camera angle and the soundtrack manipulate my emotions in a way reality can’t anymore. I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. If we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.” (p. 72-73)

And there were more, lots of good, quotable stuff, her rant on the “Cool Girl,” also springs to mind.

The summary (as basic and non-spoilery as I can make it): Nick and Amy have been married for five years. They both lost their jobs in New York due to a combination of the Internet and the recession (Nick was a pop culture critic, Amy wrote quizzes for teen magazines) and have moved to Nick’s childhood town. The novel is told in alternating chapters, Nick’s perspective taking place in the present, the day of their five-year anniversary, and Amy’s diary entries from years before, beginning when they first met.

As you see both points of view, you begin to get a real feel for both characters. But. BUT. No, I won’t say anything to spoil it, except that the twists are coming. It’s fantastic. The pacing is tight and crisp and suspenseful. It’s well worth the read, even if (like me) you are not normally a suspense/thriller/mystery reader.

Recommended! I will be seeking out Flynn’s other books! ( )
  catfantastic | Oct 14, 2014 |
Perfectly serviceable airport/transport novel. Generally tight writing, crisp descriptions, particularly of intimate's behavior and thought processes. As no doubt many have pointed out, the last third just becomes too preposterous. If you're fixing the plot points in your head as you read, there's something wrong with the novel.

Amy is supposed to be so smart but she keeps her cash all in a money belt instead of hiding bits in the car, cabin upholstery, even off the premises? The Ozarkians who watch TV all day will never spill the beans? Are the cops so dumb they never attempt to check Desi's locales, gas charges, etc. on the day (and more) he supposedly kidnapped what's her name? How about on the *very day* she returns home, the same day that she has killed Desi and supposedly undergone days of rape ... and yet she perkily agrees to police interrogation and has already figured all the answers in detail. Pretty convoluted answers in some cases, like those involving the diary. I think Flynn did that in Q and A form w/ the cops because she was too bored with the story by then. And why in heaven's name would Amy want Nick to stick around--to live with her?! It's not true to her character. For one thing, she wouldn't want to stick around Missouri from everything we know about her. Have the baby,by all means (now how did she do that exactly? Wouldn't the fertility clinic require the husband's approval?), and use it to keep Nick from blurting any beans but why would she need a husband, for public presentation or otherwise?

Surprised to see the affectionate remarks about the Missouri relatives in Flynn's acknowledgements because most of the Midwest characters, their tastes, clothes,foods, diversions, etc are so cartoony. We have the Pennsatucky character with a lesbian mother and that's it; I thought for a moment: ah, Flynn is going to poke at the stereotypes. I'm not from the Midwest and only spent a little time in this neck of the woods, *but there are always exceptions.* It's damn easy now to get offbeat movies, books, etc. wherever you are. I'm sure St. Louis has some fine universities and art museums. Sure, much of these views are filtered through the sneering Amy but, as with the lesbian mother or a few terms used by Boney, there are ways to suggest that people here aren't so simple-minded, after all.

Really did like the description of a Cool Girl, tho. I know that girl, but she doesn't exist too long after college, does she? ( )
  Periodista | Oct 13, 2014 |
I rate GG as a 3.5. There was a lot that I liked and had the book ended earlier I would have given it a 4 or 5 star rating. I love books with big surprises and the surprises in the book were huge surprises. If the ending is dark, I like it if it makes sense, but I rate the ending as weak. I also prefer books with a protagonist and an antagonist, but GG had two antagonists with no protagonist. In summary, I really enjoyed reading the book in spite of the drawbacks. ( )
  GaryBigfoot | Oct 12, 2014 |
and understanding. No....it's not! Not at all.

Let me try that again.

I knew nothing about this book when I began. My Other-Half was reading Gone Girl for a book club, and I wanted to join her. Broken into three sections, I felt like I was reading a Nicholas Sparks novel for most of the first section. I thought "this will be a nice break from my typical reads...a light fluff piece." And then BAM!

Gillian Flynn has created a story that terrifies me with plausible realism.

This psychological thriller had me completely enthralled. I couldn't put it down. And when I had to go to work I would wonder what the characters were up to...what was going on without me...what was I missing?

FIVE STARS, without a doubt. Five shiny, twisted stars. ( )
1 vote storeyonastory | Oct 12, 2014 |
Contemporary, Suspense, Romance

New York City & North Carthage, Missouri

Nick and Amy Dunne are getting ready to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary. It is a warm summer morning in North Carthage. As the presents are wrapped and the reservations made Nick’s beautiful and clever wife disappears. Now the police are investigating. Nick might be the town golden boy but he isn’t helping with his deceit, his lies nor his inappropriate behavior. He is definitely bitter and evasive, oddly so, but that doesn’t make him a killer or does it?

This is story that is full of suspense and so many twists and turns that soon the reader is doubting even themselves. This a book that sucks the reader in with all that is happening and wondering just what will happen next and just what the truth is. Just when the reader thinks they have figured out the mystery something else is thrown into the mix that makes them wonder if they are on the right track or not. The story will also keep the reader guessing until the very end on just how this one will end. This is one book that is worth reading and will have readers re-reading over and over even when they know the ending because with all the nuances in it readers are sure to discover something new with every read. It does have a somewhat abrupt ending but overall it still an excellent book. ( )
  lrhubble | Oct 11, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible