Gone girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone girl (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

8,858862340 (3.87)4 / 779
Member:barbharper
Title:Gone girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn (Author)
Info:New York : Crown, 2012.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:21st century fiction, American fiction, thrillers, murder, marriage, Missouri, missing persons, sociopaths

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.

English (841)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (859)
This could almost have been called ‘Fatal attraction’. It is a vividly written, first rate crime novel that grabs hold of you from the first page and never lets you go until the last line. The story is told in alternating chapters by Nick and Amy Dunne, a couple in Missouri who have been married for five years. On their anniversary, Amy disappears and Nick is suspected of murdering her, an accusation that he strenuously denies.
To reveal more of the plot would be a disservice to the reader, suffice to say that as the investigation unfolds over the following days and weeks, the tension increases as clues implicating Nick are uncovered, but no body is discovered.
Altogether, this is a highly charged read that lives up to all the praise that it has received as the relationship and power between Nick and Amy ebbs and flows until the finale.
  camharlow2 | Apr 10, 2015 |
Okay, I know this book gets a lot of hype, but it is so good! I actually did something I try very hard not to do - I watched the movie first (gasp!) to see if I cared to read the book. That's how concerned I was about all this hype. And despite the fact that the movie starred Ben Affleck, who I personally do not enjoy watching (although he fit this role perfectly), I really enjoyed the film. And the book is (of course) even better. The plot is just so insane, and I'm fairly certain I drove my husband up the wall with how much I talked to him about it. I will say that you will despise almost all of the characters in this book, and if that is something that drives you crazy, you will not enjoy the experience of reading this. Personally, I can't wait to read more from Gillian Flynn! ( )
  skrouhan | Apr 9, 2015 |
Beginning is pretty dry, but the rest of the book will shock you. You will not be able to put it down. ( )
  Nessa24Flutist | Apr 6, 2015 |
At first I wasn't too sure about this book, despite all the raves I'd heard. I have a general aversion to fiction that depends on self-created drama by shallow, unlikable characters. And I didn't like either of the two narrators, even though I think (at first) the reader is supposed to. But as things got crazier and more twisted...the more I enjoyed it. Some of the written rants are absolutely excellent. On the other hand, aspects of the plot were more than a little contrived -- otherwise I might have gone for 5 stars.
I listened to the audible version, which alternates actors with the alternating narrator in the book. I thought it worked particularly well here, and was very well done. ( )
  Marlissa | Apr 3, 2015 |
** Spoilers**

I didn't like the ending. Not because Amy didn't get punished, or because Nick stayed with her but because of the classic line!!
Every "good guy" says that line to the "evil guy".
It was so disappointing. A bad person or a psycho like Amy will not feel regret or remorse because she's evil. she thinks that's the way to be. She doesn't know anything else. That's exactely what makes her "evil" so it was so pointless.
It would have had more impact if he said he loved her, because we know he doesn't really.

But ultimately, it was a good read. It's the first time I read a suspens novel, and I liked it very much. I liked how they illustrated how people tend to believe appearances, and not care for the truth sometimes because it's more convinient. ( )
  Inessova | Mar 28, 2015 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,561,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible