Gone girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone girl (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn (Author)

6,931690522 (3.86)3 / 618
Member:barbharper
Title:Gone girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn (Author)
Info:New York : Crown, 2012.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:21st century fiction, American fiction, thrillers, murder, marriage, Missouri, missing persons, sociopaths

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

2012 (146) 2013 (140) 2014 (32) American (36) audiobook (37) book club (47) contemporary (33) crime (126) crime fiction (29) ebook (102) fiction (660) Kindle (96) marriage (265) missing persons (110) Missouri (149) murder (104) mystery (503) novel (51) psychological thriller (96) read (88) read in 2012 (86) read in 2013 (95) relationships (69) revenge (29) sociopath (65) suspense (176) thriller (332) to-read (266) unreliable narrator (54) USA (30)
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (677)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (689)
Lots of twists, turns and lies. It gets better and better. ( )
  Tilda.Tilds | Jul 23, 2014 |
I found Gone Girl to be a well thought out and planned story that is patient, thorough, and allowed me to enjoy the trip as I anticipated the arrival. Too often, a plot is set, a climax is coming, twists and turns show up in the end, but the journey is a bit bland and I find myself tempted to skip ahead to get to the good part. Not so with this book. Mr. Flynn keeps the pace while being meticulous, detailed, AND interesting along the way.
I do not recall a book with this structure and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the story from both narrators. Sometimes, the style felt like a Hitchcock movie, with the patiently building suspense flavored with humor and sarcasm. Made me think that this could be a good movie??
I am an impatient reader, at times. I value my reading time, and if a story goes flat or loses my intersted, I have no issue with putting the book down. As much as I enjoy Stephen Kings works, I have set many of his books aside...reluctantly, yes, but aside, nonetheless.
This book captured my interest and delivered the goods. Both characters deviated from the likeable and relatable personalities that I see so often. Neither was a "good guy", strictly speaking, but because of the authors persistence, I still found myself grasping to attach myself to them both.
I found myself searching for other works by the author and seeking out Amazons recommended readings.... ( )
  pife43 | Jul 23, 2014 |
A man's wife disappears, and he's quickly suspected of murder. The story is told by both spouses in parallel entries. Once one figures out that one (or maybe both?) of the narrators is unreliable it becomes fun in a creepy crawly way. If you liked "Diabolique" or have ever wanted to kill your spouse, read this book. ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

This book is Adult Fiction. There is a movie adaptation starring Ben Affleck coming out soon. I would definitely call this book a psychological thriller, and after the last page I don't know what to think or how to feel about it.

This story follows Nick and Amy Dunne, a married couple, with each chapter alternately written by the two characters. This way of formatting the book really helped intensify the book. Anyway, Amy goes missing and as evidence piles up against Nick for her disappearance, the police are after him. Without a body or a confession, charges are hard to make...

As the story continues, things become more and more strange and messed up, making the reader flip flop between their guesses and assumptions. Flynn did an amazing job dissecting the human mind at different points and with different perspectives. There were a very few small plot holes, but it didn't take away from the story. This book is definitely a ride, an easy page turner for sure!

If you have problems reading about-or have triggers relating to-sexual content, rape, stalking, or distasteful language this may not be the book for you. This is not something I would recommend for a younger reader. If you want a book to leave you thinking 'wow, what would I do?', or want a book that is fast paced and psychological, give this a try. ( )
  joaslo | Jul 22, 2014 |
There is a Maddie Crum article in The Huffingtonpost entitled 8 Popular Books With Deeply Disappointing Endings. Gone Girl is one of the titles she listed. I was halfway through the novel when I noticed the piece, so I didn’t read it at the time. Now that I’ve finished the book I’ve gone back to see if I agree with Crum’s premise. She has a primary reason why she doesn't like the ending and a different reason, just as strong, why she does. So, without mentioning what those arguments are, I will say I agree with her detail, but I don’t agree with her putting the book on her list. There were times when I was reading the ending that I felt like yelling “Please stop this!” because a number of conclusions were reached and after each one, the plot would keep on going. But the final choice was brilliant. I’ve read elsewhere that Gillian Flynn intends to “tweak” the ending for the movie. It will be interesting to see what she does. The nature of translating a book to the screen forces the story to be shortened, so I think my complaint will be handled automatically. I worry about other changes.

I’m rating Gone Girl as a five star book, despite some aspects I didn’t like. I already mentioned how long the ending seemed. I thought some of the foul language was indulgent and sometimes given to characters I didn’t feel would use it. And there were many moments when characters knew things they couldn't possibly know and other times when they reacted in ways I found hard to believe.

But the story is incredibly intense (Amy’s parents would say amazingly intense) and unique. The way Flynn takes two despicable characters, mixes in tremendous lies, and still has me sympathizing with them both is simply great. There is truth about relationships in this book. It’s exaggerated, twisted, ignored at times and lied about at other times, but it is still truth and for that reason I care about Nick and Amy even as I feel their hatred and frustration.

I picked an excellent time to read Gone Girl because the film is due out in October. I can’t wait to see it.

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul and White Horse Regressions ( )
  SteveLindahl | Jul 19, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,540,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible