Gone Girl

Title:Gone Girl
Authors:
Info:Orion Publishing Ome, Paperback
Rating:*****

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (689)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (701)
This is the first book I have read by Gillian Flynn and it won't be the last.

The book was very well written and I was intrigued since the beginning. The book had many plot twists and I love that in a book. I gave it a 5 star because I was very interested in the whole book and devoured it in a day. ( )
  Kimjof | Aug 13, 2014 |
Most mysteries you can figure a certain path will be taken. You may find a bit of surprise but then if this occurs than this may happen. If that occurs than that may happen. This is not one of those mysteries. ( )
  AspieNerdGirl | Aug 12, 2014 |
The Gone Girl has won high praise from critics and has been a New York Times bestsellers, proving once again that critical acclaim doth not a good book make.

On Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary Amy mysteriously disappears. Nick, the quintessential weenie, appears oddly unaffected, even evasive and as the evidence mounts it becomes clear that his beautiful wife has meet with fold play and the allegedly loving husband is the prime suspect. Gone Girl creates a compelling peek into the lives of two codependent individuals one of whom is the worst kind of psycho. Gone Girl provides an interesting perspective on media coverage, police procedure and the effect of personality in criminal cases.

The design of the novel, alternating chapters from Nick’s point of view with Amy’s diary, is engaging and creates a page turning reading experience. I eventually found, however, that the diary began reading like a Seinfeld script and was tempted to skip the later entries. The plot is intricate, and detailed, two attributes I enjoy and look for in a good thriller. My disappointment arrived long before the last page when the plot resolved on page 370 and an epilogue of sorts ended this four hundred twelve page novel with an unsatisfying metallic clunk.

The writing is fast paced, witty and engaging. The psychological elements are beyond insightful and become frighteningly real. The police procedural aspects are lacking and, for me, become a distraction. The plot, to a point, is brilliant but for this reader becomes the fatal flaw of Gone Girl. Two stars is very forgiving.
  nvellis01 | Aug 11, 2014 |

nvellis01 | Aug 11, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,092,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible