Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

7,134710501 (3.86)3 / 632
Member:dbeckman
Title:Gone Girl: A Novel
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (695)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (707)
I know this was and remains a bestseller but I thought it was awful. I did not like the characters, the plot was predictable and the resolution was pitiful. Should you read it? Depends on the amount of suffering you are able to endure. Depends on the number of hours in your life that you cannot think of anything better to do. I should have used this time to read something else, solve world destruction or at the very least be like the cartoon lad mouse Brain and plan to take over the world. Pleas do not let there be a sequel.
As a person who wanted to enjoy this novel, I am sadden that it has not only been a bestseller but soon to be released movie. And OMG are law enforcement personnel this incompetent? If so I fear for the future of America.
  vtlucania | Aug 20, 2014 |
Reader, I devoured it. One of those watching-the-clock-'til-the-time-I-can get-back-to-reading-it books. Like many before me, I read Gone Girl quickly, see-sawing between horror and admiration for this author and the tale she tells.

There's no-one to root for, really. Gillian Flynn switches between two narrators, a 30-something married couple. Both are mostly unlikeable and wholly unreliable. Amy is a Manhattan trust fund kid resentfully slumming it in Missouri. Nick is the sort of handsome, oblivious guy a lot of chicks dig these days. Then Amy disappears on their fifth wedding anniversary and Nick (and the reader) follow a trail peppered with clues - and more than a few red herrings - to find out what really happened to her.

Flynn is a clever writer, in two ways. First and foremost, her plotting is smart enough to keep even the sharpest armchair sleuth guessing. But her writing also, at times, tips over into smugness. It reminded me of the precocious, self-satisfied expression of an expensively educated teenager - aren't I just so cool and clever. This novel is so hip that it probably won't date very well. But for now, as a reflection on marriage, media and the criminal justice system in early 21st century America, Gone Girl resonates. ( )
  whirled | Aug 20, 2014 |
Pretty good psycho/thriller. I like how I couldn't figure it out right away. Even some twists at the very end to reinforce the psycho aspect of the book. ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I became fairly absorbed in this novel. Took me a little while to realize what the character was doing in her story-telling/journalling of her events as she wanted us to "know" about her life. Fascinating how she manipulated everyone, including me. I was pretty excited to learn about the upcoming movie, based on this novel. After reading this latest novel, I quickly devoured her two previous ones...was not disappointed. ( )
  Tina417 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Several of my friends raved about this book, so I had to give it a try. I was bored from the start & it didn't get any better. Good reader, but the situation was underwhelming & grotesque - real life crime told by Nick, the husband, interspersed with diary entries by Amy, the 'gone girl'. It's obvious that both are unreliable narrators, the only question being which one of them is guilty in the first part. Before the halfway point, it's obvious that Amy is framing Nick & he's such a spineless idiot that he let her. It was scene with the cops & the credit cards that clinched it. She's in hiding & will turn up eventually. I couldn't get much beyond that point.

I got to the point where Amy buys a gun which is completely out of character for her unless she's a lot tougher & meaner than either narrator has led us to believe. Given the parents & the build up of the books, assuming Flynn is a decent author, Amy has to be a psychopath & has broken with society. Nick is her victim & he's a pitiful one.

Nick is being tried in the public eye, his idiocy exacerbated by Amy's best friend who she carefully kept hidden from Nick. The diary will have to come light soon along with Nick's affair further smearing him. I wish I could muster some sympathy, but he's such a self absorbed jerk that I can't.
That's the biggest issue I have with this book. I just don't like or care about the main characters. I can't root for either of them or have any sympathy. Hell, I've rooted for the bad guy more than once, but can't even do that in this case.

The story is left with very few options & I don't have the patience to wait it out. There has been an abrupt turn in Amy's character & we know she's guilty & in hiding. Flynn seems to be a technically good writer, so Nick's voice won't turn out to be some sort of memoir, so I think he survives her return which probably means she'll use her just revealed pregnancy into getting back together & to garner more public support. She'll probably kill some homeless guy (A couple like those we met in the store?) & set him/them up as her kidnapper(s). Since she's a writer, she'll write a best selling memoir & she'll use it to put the screws to him by earning lots of money, the other reason she's done this. He'll commit suicide at the very end or turn into a captive worm & become just like his father. Hmmm... that last is too good, so gets my vote. That also casts Amy into an evil version of his mother, a woman she seems to have admired. Even a better, more thorough ending of Nick the Jerk. So Amy the evil will win. I really wish I could get behind that, but I just don't respect or like her enough for that. It's beyond me how can someone so smart, evil, sexy, & thorough can come across as so petty & worthless.

Unfortunately, I don't care. If there was any justice in the world, they would have killed each other chapters ago & put themselves & their piddling, self-made problems out my misery. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,148,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible