Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

8,620849354 (3.87)4 / 759
Member:lauriejenness
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:***1/2

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl on the Train: A Novel by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.

English (828)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (845)
I think I am one of the last people to read Gone Girl but even though I had a fairly accurate idea of what I was going to be reading this book still managed to wow me. This does appear to be a very divisive book with many people really disliking it while others love it. I come down firmly on the love side. I found this book to be a fun roller coaster ride of deceit, infidelity, suspicion and murder.

The story of two rather unlikeable people starts out with the reader having full sympathy for one of the characters but slowly as things are revealed, the perspective changes. Then the second half of the book opens with confessions that knock the reader sideways and reveal psychological flaws that show a depth of darkness that one doesn’t find very often portrayed so cleverly.

This is my first book by author Gillian Flynn but she is definitely an author whose books I want to explore. Gone Girl, with it’s surprising twists and turns kept me glued to its’ pages and it’s been quite some time since I stayed up all night just to finish a book. I applaud the author for how she ended the story, I expected something quite different, but when I think about it, leaving this toxic combination to continue to simmer along gives the book a provoking and terrifying conclusion. ( )
5 vote DeltaQueen50 | Mar 4, 2015 |
I did not see that ending coming, and I am a little disappointed, but on the whole, it made sense. I'll say no more about the ending. The characters of Amy, spoiled but misused only-child New Yorker of parents who used her as a muse for their bestselling children's books, and Nick, good-looking, charming Missouri-bred boy made good in New York, are deftly and cynically drawn by the author. The story of Amy's disappearance is full of twists and turns. I don't think it could have been much better, but it is hard to give 5 stars. The audiobook, however, would have benefited from a different voice actor for Nick. He is very skilled at his craft; his voice is just too boyish for the character he plays. Amy's voice actor is spot-on, however. It was a delight to hear her narration. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Mar 4, 2015 |
I finished this audiobook last night and I’m still thinking about it, that means Gillian Flynn wrote a really good book.

Gone Girl is disturbing, intriguing and captivating. The narrators Julia Whelan and Kirby Heyborne did an amazing job bringing to life the story and all the different characters. This was my first time listening to an audiobook narrated by them, but I’m sure it won’t be my last.

Now, we come to the “but”... I was really loving this book… loving it!... until the very end… the end… I can’t say anything without giving spoilers away; but I can say (IMO) it felt like the end cheapen the book. It was such a weak end that I had to listen to the last couple of minutes couple of times to see if there was something I had missed. Sadly, I hadn't. I couldn’t believe such an awesome book would have such a lame end. That end cost this book a star. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Although it took me awhile to get into it, I enjoyed Gone Girl a lot. I haven't read many "thrillers" - let alone psychological thrillers. I'm not one to try to guess what is going to happen in a book (or movie). I usually just let it happen. For me there were twists and turns and surprises all the way through and that kept it interesting. I usually like a book where I can be emotionally invested in the characters. I could not get emotional about any of the characters in Gone Girl, but I was definitely intrigued. Oh, and the ending - I thought it was perfect. ( )
  slsmith101 | Mar 3, 2015 |
Wow….what an unexpected story, with the perfect ending. Haven’t seen the movie, not sure I want to, I’m afraid it will be a case of “The book was better.” ( )
  brangwinn | Mar 2, 2015 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,815,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible