Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

9,462912307 (3.86)4 / 831
Member:camnini
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:***

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.

English (893)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (911)
This book is amazing, twisted, intense, and unexpected, but unfortunately the ending fell flat ( )
  Haidji | Aug 27, 2015 |
Amazing. This book kept me hooked and I just had to finish it (I read it in 2 days). Didn't expect the ending at all. A must read for adults or mature teens (I am a teen myself). ( )
1 vote valerieeew | Aug 27, 2015 |
Amy disappears on her 5th wedding anniversary and her husband Nick is soon a suspect. I don't, for once, know how to continue describing this book without giving the whole plot away. It was very well written and engaging to read with lots of twists and turns. It really keeps you on your toes. I will soon be reading her other two novels when I get off a never-ending wait list from my library. I think everyone wants to see what else she's written. ( )
1 vote campingmomma | Aug 20, 2015 |
Almost everything that I want to say would be a spoiler, so I can say very little. Several people said that this was an "I can't put it down" type of book. For the first hundred or so pages, I thought the book was very good, but I could rather easily put it down. Then...... something happened! Just read the book and then we can talk! ( )
1 vote TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,063,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible