Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

11,8701095223 (3.86)4 / 901
Member:janna_voss
Title:Gone Girl: A Novel
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:thriller, fiction, novel

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)

English (1,076)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1,095)
I just didn't love it. I wanted to but it never grabbed me and I was bored halfway in. Not saying it needed to be a thriller but it was all just a bit far fetched for me. I hate to say this but it will make a better movie.... ( )
  dmbkel41 | Dec 7, 2016 |
I find it very hard to review Gone Girl because it was so good that I don’t want to give anything way! However, I will try my best to give you an idea of what makes this book an excellent read.

Nick and Amy began as the perfect couple, but things changed along the way with both of them losing their New York jobs and making a move to Nick’s childhood home in Missouri to look after his ailing parents. On the day of their fifth anniversary, Amy disappears leaving behind what looks like a deadly struggle and Nick doesn’t seem as shocked as the public expects. With Nick’s character being called into question, we are taken on a twisting journey where you will find yourself wondering who took Amy, what happened that day and why is Nick keeping information from the police?

Gone Girl is the type of book that grabs your attention from the very beginning. Intrigue spills out of every page and you keep switching allegiances at every chapter. It also keeps you guessing - there is the obvious suspect, but there is still enough reasonable doubt that keeps you wondering whether you had the killer pegged.

Two issues - first, sometimes Nick and Amy’s voice seemed interchangeable However, the chapters that we see from Nick’s point of view and Amy’s diary entries are clearly marked, so there was no confusion as to who was speaking at the time. Of course, as the book progresses it became much easier to tell them apart, so this was very minor issue in the end.

The next was, I didn't REALLY like the ending. While the story itself was great, and the twist (which comes in the middle) caught me by surprise, I found that I couldn't actually enjoy that ending. Not that it was bad, but I couldn't get behind it.

I want to get more into the story, but I don’t want to spoil it for the reader, but will say this, the pace in the beginning is a little slow and it might take a few pages for you to get into the story, but when you meet the half-way point you will not regret reading, for that matter, you might end up staying up all night so you could finish the story! ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Nick and Amy are made for each other. They're good-looking, they're smart, they're charming. (They're two very sick people in need of serious help.) On their fifth wedding anniversary Amy disappears. The more attention Nick gets from the police and media the more lies he doles out and evasive he becomes. And the more everyone seems to think he murdered his wife.

I don't understand the hype. The first part was painfully boring. The ending was kinda boring. I liked the author's writing, but the story itself wasn't that great to me and I don't know why. It may be my subconscience thinking it's too far-fetched.
  jenn88 | Nov 29, 2016 |
Wow. Just wow. As is usually the case with me, I'm torn. I considered rating this book 3 stars because I was that personally dissatisfied with the ending. After a little more thought I realized that the book deserves credit for containing one realistic fact of life amidst all of the unlikely events it held: Shitty people do not always get what they deserve. I've seen it firsthand many times, though clearly these unkind acts were nothing compared to the ones contained in this novel. Sometimes bad people get away with treating people poorly and suffer no karmic punishment in their lives. Whether that message was intended by the author or not, I still find it jarring and even a little brave every time an author doesn't give you a happy ending (sans the contrived "sad/bad/gloomy" endings anyway). The first half of this book was enthralling and electric. The last part, not so much. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
I'm not sure how to rate this book. I guess the author did a good job but, honestly, I didn't like a single person in this book, didn't like the story and could not wait until I was done. ( )
  400mom | Nov 23, 2016 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

"En un caluroso día de verano, Amy y Nick se disponen a celebrar su quinto aniversario de bodas en North Carthage, a orillas del río Mississippi. Pero Amy desaparece esa misma mañana sin dejar rastro. A medida que la investigación policial avanza, las sospechas recaen sobre Nick. Sin embargo, Nick insiste en su inocencia. Es cierto que se muestra extrañamente evasivo y frío, pero ¿es un asesino?"--Book cover.… (more)

4 1989

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,832,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible