Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

6,265633633 (3.87)3 / 554
Member:janna_voss
Title:Gone Girl: A Novel
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:thriller, fiction, novel

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

2012 (145) 2013 (135) American (33) audiobook (34) book club (40) contemporary (30) contemporary fiction (27) crime (111) crime fiction (27) ebook (97) fiction (601) Kindle (93) marriage (251) missing persons (103) Missouri (140) murder (95) mystery (466) novel (46) psychological thriller (92) read (83) read in 2012 (85) read in 2013 (86) relationships (67) revenge (26) sociopath (62) suspense (166) thriller (298) to-read (193) unreliable narrator (47) USA (26)
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (622)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (632)
With a downturn in the economy, a successful New York couple is forced to move back the husband's country home town after they both loose their jobs. The husband receives a call stating the front door of his house is ajar. Upon returning home, he finds evidence of a struggle and his wife is missing. Framed or victim, the first half of the books attempts to determine the innocence or guilt of the husband. There are many twists and turns in the story, ending where you wouldn't quite expect.

Both the husband and wife's characters were extremely pretentious, making it hard to care one way or the other. It was hard to care that she was dead or not. It was hard to care that he had killed her or not. Comparing the diary entries to the reaction of the husband created an obvious circumstance that lessened the impacts of the twists and turns. ( )
  Sovranty | Apr 19, 2014 |
After struggling to finish this book, I'm not sure how to write a review.

I'll start by saying the book is about 100 pages too long. The author has a good story, can write exceedingly well, but it seemed that like the characters in her book, she was manipulative, and impressed with her writing abilities, wanting to keep writing just to show how good of an author she is. This ploy backfired for me.

The story is intriguing, the plot is explosive and at first the reader is pulled in. Told from differing perspectives, we learn just how emotionally sick both characters are.

Amy and Nick Dunne started an obsessive relationship that led to marriage. On their fifth year anniversary, Amy disappears. Nick seems detached and unconcerned. He lost his writing/journalist job and with his wife flees from New York City back to his home town of Carthage, Missouri to allegedly take care of his dying mother.

At first the chapters written from Amy's perspective drag the reader into a disdain for Nick, for his weakness, for his selfishness and lack of support for his poor misguided wife who loves a man who no longer seems to care about her.

She is drop dead gorgeous, rich and highly intelligent. He is a ladies man who is charming and charismatic.

From Nick's perspective we learn of an affair with a young student he met while teaching at a local junior college. We learn he is weary of Amy's games and is emotionally drifting in black, mucky water.

Soon, we learn that Amy's comments are from a diary that she is using to frame her husband for murder. Hoping the police will find this diary after she is long gone, will place a nail in the coffin for Nick and lead to his arrest for her murder.

Systematically, Nick is pulled into a very dark abyss as all too soon the clues left behind intentionally lead him to know that a very sick game is played wherein at all stages, Amy's manipulation leads to distrust and judgment of Nick as the noose tightens and he is indeed the only suspect.

This is a very sick relationship, and as the pages go on and on and on, the reader feels sorry for no one, and that they both truly deserve each other.

Difficult to judge just who is more sociopathic than the other, the reader soon grows weary of never ending muck of love gone very, very wrong.

I won't say not to read the book, but I will mention that you might tire of the tennis game of explosive hits that never lead to a good game. As the balls fly back and forth and back and forth, the only one who wearies is the reader, while the characters continue to play on and on and on and on, long after the lights are turned off the court. ( )
1 vote Whisper1 | Apr 17, 2014 |
I requested Gone Girl from the library because I kept reading wonderful reviews on it. It was actually the second time I had requested it from the library. The first time, I made the mistake of not putting it at the top of the stack and I had to return it before I could get to it. I didn't make that mistake this time.

This isn't normally my type of book. And to be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to think of it when I began to read it. And at one point, I almost started to lose interest. Not because it is badly written or boring, but because I was starting to think it was a standard husband kills wife murder mystery. And then . . . . .

She made a sharp turn that I did NOT expect. She showed that you should not assume what is going on in a story (and I think that can also apply to real life) This was so very NOT the story I imagined it was.

Gillian Flynn has created a superbly twisted character in this tale of betrayal, obsession, vengeance. She takes us deeply into the mind of a psychotic sociopath and along a rollercoaster ride with this character, egocentric and void of any empathy to any other human. Its a chilling study of how a attractive face and pleasant personality can hide a vile and cruel soul.

And the good thing is? I understand she has written two other books! ( )
  sephibitchwitch | Apr 12, 2014 |
I wasn't sure I'd be into this book at first. My mom didn't care for it, and my tastes run alongside hers.

At first it felt like hipster reading. The language was so clever you could feel it was in love with itself. But the story is mundane. Just a boy and a girl having marital problems.

So why couldn't I stop reading it?

I'm not sure where it got me. It must have been some time in Amy's diary entries where she's talking about dating in Manhattan, where she's dating Nick and talking about "monkey husbands". It sounded like a girl I could like, and a boy I could sympathize with.

But all the women love having uber amounts of sex and speak vulgarly. I know my experiences are limited, but I just don't know any women like that. I don't know any women who know women like that. Are they out there? Is there anyone like in this book? Everyone's acting like they do in Sex and the City but it's played for farce in there.

Here's the other thing. I read that the author tried to make it ambiguous to the reader whether the man was actually the killer or not in the first half, as in all the other "Lifetime movie/Sleeping with the Enemy" scenarios. I never got that part, so I never figured Nick was the killer/kidnapper. I read part one completely straight -- a man trying to keep his name clear when the world's out to get him.

At a certain point it started reminding me of those shows like "Revenge" and "Damages" and "Pretty Little Liars" that are all intrigue and scandal but never reach a resolution. They're soap operas. This one has a resolution, but it also has the amazing coincidences of the characters needing to be who they are (good thing her stalker, who always denied being a stalker, was really her stalker, and happened to be rich and have an isolated place on the lake) and do what they do when needed.

Not to mention what does she hope to gain from all this rigmarole when it gets to the end? I know she's a sociopath, so she might not be thinking straight. But she seems to have a plan for everything else. She ends up exactly where she started which was where she planned to be so.... yay? Gone Girl? Yeah, more like gone in the head. ( )
1 vote theWallflower | Apr 9, 2014 |
I love a good mystery as well as a well written book about the human psyche and this was a really complex story with so many twists and turns, rumors and innuendos, casually dropped but oh so important clues, mystery and psychotic characters that I didn't want to put it down. Talk about dysfunctional relationships, this book had them in spades.

Both of the main characters had their say in alternating chapters and this really kept me hooked into the story and where it was going. I liked that it made me concentrate and hold on to the details, giving clues along the way, building up to twists and turns that leave your head spinning.

I must admit that about 3/4 of the way through I didn't think I could take any more twists but honestly, it couldn't have been written any other way. It followed the type of characters that Amy and Nick were, making it more realistic, the storyline becoming more complex and even as you were turning pages trying to find out real quick what was going to happen, I didn't want to rush and find out because that meant it would be closer to the end.

The ending was true to their nature, that's all I can say. To say too much more would probably give away spoilers. ( )
  Artfullee | Apr 8, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dad or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,566,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible