Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

12,3751126201 (3.86)4 / 932
Member:library_kate
Title:Gone Girl: A Novel
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Crown (2012), Hardcover, 432 pages

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paul A. Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Local Girl Missing: A Novel by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)

English (1,104)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (4)  German (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (1,125)
Nick and Amy are made for each other. They're good-looking, they're smart, they're charming. (They're two very sick people in need of serious help.) On their fifth wedding anniversary Amy disappears. The more attention Nick gets from the police and media the more lies he doles out and evasive he becomes. And the more everyone seems to think he murdered his wife.

I don't understand the hype. The first part was painfully boring. The ending was kinda boring. I liked the author's writing, but the story itself wasn't that great to me and I don't know why. It may be my subconscience thinking it's too far-fetched.
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
This thing makes me want to play Britney Spears's song "If you seek Amy" for these reasons: 1) Amy is the character missing; 2) it made me nuts to think of playing a song that I really don't like; and 3) that's what this book did to me. If you still don't get it, I will literally spell it out for you: f-u-c-k me.

Nick Dunne's wife named Amy goes missing on their fifth anniversary. This is the start of the catastrophic romance story.

That is the only only thing you need to know. I won't put here what happened next. Read the book! :)

I like how it was done. The story was not what I expected.

I will just put a thought that is not connected to the mystery:
I think that the main characters were pretending to be someone they're not and ended up together thinking that they could still keep up with their high standards, leading a cardboard-cut perfect life. Then poof they got tired of their own show, thinking that their lover loved them only because of their pretenses. When they begun to be their real selves, it caused unhappiness.

Note: Do not marry someone you actually know nothing of.
(unless you will not cheat ever) ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
I thought I had this book pegged. I almost didn't finish reading it. I am so glad I didn't give up. I have never felt so betrayed by a fictional character. This book was truly a work of art never giving away its secrets until the very end. ( )
  tiffany05 | Mar 14, 2017 |
Just wasnt impressed. ( )
  annaofthewaves | Mar 12, 2017 |
Very enjoyable read that provides a real warts-and-all view of humanity. ( )
  kale.dyer | Mar 4, 2017 |
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Synopsis: Amazing Amy, previously a bestselling author, mysteriously disappears and forensic analysis immediately points Nick, her husband, as the suspect.

Written in epistolary, we learn more about Nick and how his relationship with Amy has been on the edge for a while.

As the investigation continues, Nick hires a lawyer, increasing our suspicion as to what happened with Amy.

My Opinion: Amy goes missing very early on in the book, but then we jump back in time to learn more about Nick. Lots of background information about Nick and Amy were provided in disjointed parts and I found it hard to decipher whether the story was about their marriage or about finding Amy. I mean, come on! Amy has gone missing! Your wife! Stop talking about yourself.

An excerpt from the book:

- “I haven’t been upset enough about Amy,” I said. “I know that.” (p.125)

And then Nick goes on to tell his friend how he hasn’t told his father that his wife has gone missing. Um, what the heck!! Your wife has gone missing, dude! I’m here reading and trying to find out why your wife has gone missing, and eager to cut to the chase as to where she is and you’re sitting around not even thinking about her! I don’t even know who your wife is and yet I seem to be more concerned about her whereabouts than you are.

I couldn’t form an emotional connection with any of the characters to care enough to find out what happened in the end.

Maybe some of the other reviewers who rate this 5 stars have watched the movie first and then read the book? My review is based on only my knowledge of the plot from reading the book, not the movie.

I’m sure there is a lot of subtle undertone that I missed out on but to be honest I just didn’t really get into it enough to really care. The story couldn’t have ended sooner for me. The Wikipedia plot description cut to the chase better than the author did

...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.

Very enjoyable read that provides a real warts-and-all view of humanity.

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

"En un caluroso día de verano, Amy y Nick se disponen a celebrar su quinto aniversario de bodas en North Carthage, a orillas del río Mississippi. Pero Amy desaparece esa misma mañana sin dejar rastro. A medida que la investigación policial avanza, las sospechas recaen sobre Nick. Sin embargo, Nick insiste en su inocencia. Es cierto que se muestra extrañamente evasivo y frío, pero ¿es un asesino?"--Book cover.… (more)

4 2031

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,846,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible