Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

6,246None640 (3.87)3 / 553
Member:CWollenTO
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

2012 (145) 2013 (135) American (33) audiobook (34) book club (40) contemporary (30) contemporary fiction (27) crime (111) crime fiction (27) ebook (97) fiction (601) Kindle (93) marriage (251) missing persons (103) Missouri (140) murder (95) mystery (466) novel (46) psychological thriller (92) read (83) read in 2012 (85) read in 2013 (86) relationships (67) revenge (26) sociopath (62) suspense (166) thriller (298) to-read (193) unreliable narrator (47) USA (26)
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (620)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (630)
I requested Gone Girl from the library because I kept reading wonderful reviews on it. It was actually the second time I had requested it from the library. The first time, I made the mistake of not putting it at the top of the stack and I had to return it before I could get to it. I didn't make that mistake this time.

This isn't normally my type of book. And to be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to think of it when I began to read it. And at one point, I almost started to lose interest. Not because it is badly written or boring, but because I was starting to think it was a standard husband kills wife murder mystery. And then . . . . .

She made a sharp turn that I did NOT expect. She showed that you should not assume what is going on in a story (and I think that can also apply to real life) This was so very NOT the story I imagined it was.

Gillian Flynn has created a superbly twisted character in this tale of betrayal, obsession, vengeance. She takes us deeply into the mind of a psychotic sociopath and along a rollercoaster ride with this character, egocentric and void of any empathy to any other human. Its a chilling study of how a attractive face and pleasant personality can hide a vile and cruel soul.

And the good thing is? I understand she has written two other books! ( )
  sephibitchwitch | Apr 12, 2014 |
I wasn't sure I'd be into this book at first. My mom didn't care for it, and my tastes run alongside hers.

At first it felt like hipster reading. The language was so clever you could feel it was in love with itself. But the story is mundane. Just a boy and a girl having marital problems.

So why couldn't I stop reading it?

I'm not sure where it got me. It must have been some time in Amy's diary entries where she's talking about dating in Manhattan, where she's dating Nick and talking about "monkey husbands". It sounded like a girl I could like, and a boy I could sympathize with.

But all the women love having uber amounts of sex and speak vulgarly. I know my experiences are limited, but I just don't know any women like that. I don't know any women who know women like that. Are they out there? Is there anyone like in this book? Everyone's acting like they do in Sex and the City but it's played for farce in there.

Here's the other thing. I read that the author tried to make it ambiguous to the reader whether the man was actually the killer or not in the first half, as in all the other "Lifetime movie/Sleeping with the Enemy" scenarios. I never got that part, so I never figured Nick was the killer/kidnapper. I read part one completely straight -- a man trying to keep his name clear when the world's out to get him.

At a certain point it started reminding me of those shows like "Revenge" and "Damages" and "Pretty Little Liars" that are all intrigue and scandal but never reach a resolution. They're soap operas. This one has a resolution, but it also has the amazing coincidences of the characters needing to be who they are (good thing her stalker, who always denied being a stalker, was really her stalker, and happened to be rich and have an isolated place on the lake) and do what they do when needed.

Not to mention what does she hope to gain from all this rigmarole when it gets to the end? I know she's a sociopath, so she might not be thinking straight. But she seems to have a plan for everything else. She ends up exactly where she started which was where she planned to be so.... yay? Gone Girl? Yeah, more like gone in the head. ( )
  theWallflower | Apr 9, 2014 |
I love a good mystery as well as a well written book about the human psyche and this was a really complex story with so many twists and turns, rumors and innuendos, casually dropped but oh so important clues, mystery and psychotic characters that I didn't want to put it down. Talk about dysfunctional relationships, this book had them in spades.

Both of the main characters had their say in alternating chapters and this really kept me hooked into the story and where it was going. I liked that it made me concentrate and hold on to the details, giving clues along the way, building up to twists and turns that leave your head spinning.

I must admit that about 3/4 of the way through I didn't think I could take any more twists but honestly, it couldn't have been written any other way. It followed the type of characters that Amy and Nick were, making it more realistic, the storyline becoming more complex and even as you were turning pages trying to find out real quick what was going to happen, I didn't want to rush and find out because that meant it would be closer to the end.

The ending was true to their nature, that's all I can say. To say too much more would probably give away spoilers. ( )
  Artfullee | Apr 8, 2014 |
I have a weird relationship with Gillian Flynn, and it’s extremely hard for me to put into words, but I’ll try. I love the life that she breaths into her characters, and the heady affect of her prose, which keeps me turning pages. It’s not until I’ve finished her books and had time to sober up, that the headache and nausea set in. I call it the “Flynn Hangover.” Sure, it was fun while it lasted, but I am usually emotionally spent and disappointed in myself afterwards.

So, Gone Girl. Hmm. I think the best way to sum up my feelings is a quote from one of the main characters, when explaining why nothing really surprises him:

Everyone else, I always know what they’re going to say, because everyone says the same thing. We all watch the same shows, we read the same stuff, we recycle everything.

What I was mainly thinking about while reading this was how many early 90s movies came to mind like: The War of the Roses, She-Devil, and Sleeping with the Enemy—a rehashing of overused plots and dialogues. If I can guess how things are going to turn out, then that doesn’t bode well for me.

That being said, Flynn definitely has a way with wit and sarcasm, and that’s her saving grace. I lost track of how many passages I highlighted. She has this breezy way of summing up jarring, deep sentiments in funny one-liners. I’ve yet to read another author that makes me laugh out loud, but nod because I’ve been there and done that! I’m glad she decided to do something different from her previous books, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward to the next book, and hoping it’s more in line with Sharp Objects.

Funny Quotes That Made Me Holler:

Three morbidly obese hill people on motorized scooters are between me and my morning coffee. Their a**es mushroom over the sides of the contraptions, but they still need another Egg McMuffin.

I even looked behind the toilet tanks. “Very Godfather of you,” Go said. “If it were very Godfather, I’d have found what we were looking for and come out shooting.”
“Mary! I thought you were coming tomorrow!” “I was, but my unemployment doesn’t come for a week, and I was down to a box of cereal and a can of creamed corn!”

I have learned about bulk shopping in my four weeks as a Mississippi River resident. Republicans go to Sam’s Club, Democrats go to Costco.

“You need at least a little powder, Nick,” Betsy finally said, coming at me with the puff. “Your nose sweats when you get nervous. Nixon lost an election on nose sweat.”
“I mean, you should see me,” he said. “I do not look like some alpha-male rapist. I look like a twerp. I am a twerp. My go-to karaoke song is ‘Sister Christian,’ for crying out loud. I weep during Godfather II. Every time.” He coughed after a swallow. Seemed like a moment to loosen him up. “Fredo?” I asked. “Fredo, man, yeah. Poor Fredo.” “Stepped over.” Most men have sports as the lingua-franca of dudes. This was the film-geek equivalent to discussing some great play in a famous football game. We both knew the line, and the fact that we both knew it eliminated a good day’s worth of are we copacetic small talk. ( )
  dreamydress48 | Apr 8, 2014 |
engrossing and disturbing novel about a missing wife.
  mochap | Apr 8, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dad or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible