Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

7,277723489 (3.87)3 / 651
Member:CWollenTO
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Recently added bylouisianagirl91, Lombart, dilandau, thosliot, private library, MHelm1017, witchy_poo
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (708)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (720)
The Basics

On a day like any other day, Nick Dunne gets a call from his neighbor who says his front door is standing wide open. He comes home to find his wife Amy has disappeared. The investigation begins, Nick falls under scrutiny, and a media storm descends. But is Nick the one at fault?

My Thoughts

I went into this novel not knowing anything besides the fact that it’s a bestseller and rather popular. I knew those basics up there. A woman disappears, her husband is blamed, so what now? I honestly didn’t hold out much hope for this novel being anything, because I’ve read my fair share of thrillers and crime novels, and they rarely ever take it to any sort of interesting place.

Let me be the millionth person to say that this book takes it to an incredibly interesting place. In fact, it drives up to “Interesting Place”, looks around, and deems it not interesting enough. It speeds off past “Fascinating Lane” and crashes gorily right into “WTF Station.” Go into this book knowing next to nothing, because it will serve you well. I reached a point where I had a theory about what could’ve happened and then stalwartly told myself, “no, no, don’t be silly. No one has the guts to go that far.” Flynn does. She has guts to spare.

And talent. Twists and turns are well and good, but does she have the skill? Yes. And then some. This book was gorgeously written. Sinking into these words felt so good. Not just wild and crazy, but really weighty. Flynn is writing some incredibly post-post-modern feminism here with prose that packs a punch. It also takes a long, hard look at the way the media handles, or doesn’t, real life crimes and how and why they sweep the nation.

You’re looking at my rating and wondering where that other star went. I didn’t care for the ending. This book was bombastic and enormous and reached a point where I wasn’t sure we were dealing in real world logic anymore. Then it ends with a whimper when I wanted a bang that might send the book flying out of my hands under its own power. Nope. Just a fizzle. Still worth every moment though.

Final Rating

4/5 ( )
1 vote Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
A thriller unlike any other that I've ever read. We see things from numerous sides as a proverbial school of red herrings are brought to bear, culminating in an end that you might think you see coming. And - probably - you will be partially correct. Then again, I'd be stupidly surprised if you were completely correct.

While a slow-starter, this book soon picked up speed and garnered more and more of my interest. I wouldn't normally recommend it, outright. The difference here is that it is so singularly unique that I feel any lover of the genre should give it a whirl. ( )
  HeathDAlberts | Sep 14, 2014 |
Chilling, but I hated the ending. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
Chilling, but I hated the ending. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
An interesting, strange, dark, intriguing book! Amy Dunne disappears on her 5th wedding anniversary leaving her husband Nick as the prime suspect for her disappearance and possible murder. The book took me a while to get interested in. Switching from Nick's to Amy's point of view each chapter while also changing time frame took a while to adjust to. As the story moved along and the timelines started to merge the story became more and more interesting. Several major plot twists throughout kept my full attention. ( )
  kim.jacobs | Sep 11, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible