Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

12,6971147187 (3.86)4 / 941
Member:jen.ireland
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paul A. Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    In the Woods by Tana French (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Unreliable narrators, psychopaths, unsympathetic characters who miss their chance at redemption
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)

English (1,125)  Dutch (4)  German (4)  Catalan (4)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (1,147)
I previously had this rated as a 3, but I did not remember reading it. I am not one who can re-read, but I decided to pick this up again anyway. I could not get back into it since previously reading it and also watching the movie. I am keeping my previous rating since I guess that is what I put a few years ago. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jul 19, 2017 |
A page turner - with a very screwed up story. Hard to put down.

*significant adult language and content not for everyone. ( )
  KenMcLain | Jul 18, 2017 |
Would have been 3 stars for the beginning which seemed interesting enough. Alas, it was short lived :( I wish I didn't waste my time on this one ... God knows I barely get the time to read ... Check out from a library .. don't waste your money like I did .. ( )
  ArchanaV | Jul 16, 2017 |
Better than Dark Places but not as good as Sharp Objects. Ms. Flynn is a beautiful writer; there are neither too many nor too few words. It's a joy to read her work in the midst of crap like 50 Shades ( )
  taranator | Jul 11, 2017 |
From my Cannonball Read 5 review:

Okay, everyone’s read this right? No? Briefest of synopses: woman goes missing, leaving behind cleaned-up blood and a possibly-staged crime scene, and husband is the suspect. The first chunk of the book is told alternatingly from his perspective and then from her diary entries. The rest … I’ll leave for you to discover.

So here’s my take. It’s really good. I read it in about three days, and screwed up my sleep by staying up about two hours later than I should have because I go so into it. I was really able to picture this couple, both in happier times and during the years leading up to the woman’s disappearance. The author did a really great job in creating different voices, making the characters stand out. It wasn’t quite like two different authors wrote it, but it was enough to make me believe these two different people and their perspectives.

Complaints? Hmmm. There are some super unsatisfying moments where I wish things went a different direction, but I think that’s good for a book. If I go along assuming X will happen because that’s what I want to happen, that doesn’t make for a very interesting read. Pleasant and mindless, sure, but not interesting. And I like interesting.

I borrowed this from the library and might re-read it again in a year. I have a feeling that, like The Sixth Sense, it will be kind of fun to go back and reread parts knowing how it ends. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 8, 2017 |
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

"En un caluroso día de verano, Amy y Nick se disponen a celebrar su quinto aniversario de bodas en North Carthage, a orillas del río Mississippi. Pero Amy desaparece esa misma mañana sin dejar rastro. A medida que la investigación policial avanza, las sospechas recaen sobre Nick. Sin embargo, Nick insiste en su inocencia. Es cierto que se muestra extrañamente evasivo y frío, pero ¿es un asesino?"--Book cover.… (more)

4 2069

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,031,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible