Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

6,828678539 (3.86)3 / 608
Member:jgrann
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Tags:kindle, fiction, read

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

2012 (146) 2013 (140) 2014 (32) American (36) audiobook (37) book club (47) contemporary (33) crime (126) crime fiction (29) ebook (102) fiction (660) Kindle (96) marriage (265) missing persons (110) Missouri (149) murder (104) mystery (503) novel (51) psychological thriller (96) read (88) read in 2012 (86) read in 2013 (95) relationships (69) revenge (29) sociopath (65) suspense (176) thriller (332) to-read (266) unreliable narrator (54) USA (30)
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (666)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (678)
Oh my god. That's the best I have to describe this book. I heard about it from multiple people, multiple podcasts. Heard it was an incredible book--but not much more than that because you didn't want to give anything away. I saw the book and on a whim bought it (I don't buy many books, but usually borrow from friends or the library.) so I worried a tad that it would be not as good as its hype.

It was that good and better.

I just finished it, and I would love to start over again. I am recommending it to everyone I know, because I want to talk about it--but not give it away. It's agonizing. Please read this book and talk to me!!

Here's what I feel is safe to tell: it's the story of a couple, and opens on their fifth wedding anniversary. The husband is at work when he gets a call from his neighbor that the door is open and the cat is on the porch. He comes home, finds his wife is gone, the iron's on, the teakettle on, signs of a struggle in the living room--no wife.

From there the story is told every other chapter between the husbands present time pov and the wife's diary entries that start when she first meets him.

This book is amazing! Read it! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Querido diario,

Acabo de terminar Gone Girl, sí, ese libro que comencé hace casi un mes. Yo sé que normalmente no me tardo leyendo un libro, pero es que, bueno, no atrapaba mi interés. Era una página buena por cada 4 aburridas, repletas de descripciones sin fin.

Había leído que este libro era de misterio, pero la verdad el misterio se resuelve justo a la mitad del libro, de manera bastante obvia, y luego solo seguí leyendo esperando que comenzara otro misterio o que la historia tomara un giro inesperado... Y simplemente nunca sucedió.

Los personajes son interesantes y el libro tiene varias frases espectaculares, pero el desarrollo de la trama deja demasiado que desear. Fue TAN frustrante que no tengo ni palabras para explicarlo...

Realmente decepcionante.

Pero supongo que esa es solo Diario Glire hablando, Asombrosa Glire jamás diría eso.

Ahora, la unica razón por la que le puse 3 estrellas y no menos:

"Love makes you want to be a better man – right, right. But maybe love, real love, also gives you permission to just be the man you are."

"Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl.

Men actually think this girl exists. Maybe they’re fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl."

"We searched every cranny of my father’s house, which didn’t take long, since it’s so pathetically empty. The cabinets, the closets. I yanked at the corners of rugs to see if they came up. I peeked into his washer and dryer, stuck a hand up his chimney. I even looked behind the toilet tanks.

‘Very Godfather of you,’ Go said.

‘If it were very Godfather, I’d have found what we were looking for and come out shooting.’"

"Nick didn’t own a pair of scissors when we moved in together. No scissors, no iron, no stapler, and I remember asking him how he thought he was possibly civilized without a pair of scissors, and he said of course he wasn’t and swooped me up in his arms and threw me on the bed and pounced on top of me, and I laughed because I was still Cool Girl. I laughed instead of thinking about what it meant.

One should never marry a man who doesn’t own a decent set of scissors. That would be my advice. It leads to bad things."

"Bang bang bang. I understand now why so many horror movies use that device – the mysterious knock on the door – because it has the weight of a nightmare. You don’t know what’s out there, yet you know you’ll open it. You’ll think what I think: No one bad ever knocks." ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
Now wasn't that an entertaining journey into the lives of privileged sociopaths! ( )
  Jolynne | Jul 4, 2014 |
Very intriguing and surprising. I really enjoyed it. ( )
  Laurenkm22 | Jul 2, 2014 |
I didn't really like it. It's well-written... it's just so unpleasant. ( )
  picardyrose | Jul 1, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dad or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,214,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible