Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

9,169885327 (3.87)4 / 810
Member:jgrann
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Tags:kindle, fiction, read

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.

English (862)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (880)
Worthy of the hype that has surrounded this book and making it into a film. This is a thrilling tale which keeps you guessing with lots of twists and turns. Basically, a woman goes missing and all the evidence points to the husband having murdered her, but did he? I won't say more or I'll spoil it (although you've probably heard elsewhere already). ( )
  eclecticdodo | Jun 22, 2015 |
AMAZING!! Absolutely loved this book, even though the first half was really hard to get into because its all about the husband getting the blame and searching for her, it was so worth it. Reading it, you realise how acidic their relationship is and your like 'why you still together' and then you realise who psychotic she is and how she manipulates him, and you hate her.. But amazing thriller! recommend to anyone. ( )
  ChelseaAnne96 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Talk about twisted! ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Absolutely Brilliant - 5 Stars

This story had me hooked right from the beginning and refused to let me go. I realize that I am late to the game here as many of my friends have already read this one. I will spare you a plot synopsis as there are many many reviews done before me but I do hope you give this story a chance.

The Devil's in the Details

The careful construction of this story was the single most impressive element. The author created a story that slowly unravelled, spun back on itself and unravelled once again. Was the story perfect? No. There were one or two things that seemed contrived, namely (view spoiler) Regardless, these issues felt minor given the mastery of the book as a whole.

I will be honest, I had guessed 95 percent of the story as I was reading. Normally that would be a turn off and would hurt my rating. In this case, tension and writing that caused me to constantly question was more enjoyable than surprise would have been. The book is written in two voices. One from the perspective of Nick as his wife goes missing and towns eyes are fixed upon him and one from the perspective of Amy through a series of journal entries over the span of several years. The major question in the novel is did he or didn't he? Did Nick kill his wife or have a hand in her disappearance. Through the majority of the book, Nick never relays an emotion to the reader as it relates to his wife's disappearance. This forces you to look at the peripheral evidence to decipher the mystery as our narrator never lets us inside his head. Personally, I thought this style of writing was brilliant. While the town in this novel is confused and bewildered by the behaviour and attitude of Nick, the reader feels the same way. The author did of wonderful job of painting a picture.

Some of these elements will put off readers. You get the sense that the narrators are not reliable. Nick's behaviour is difficult to comprehend and Amy's version is static. Written on a page and not open to cross examination. For some readers, this may feel as if the author has pitted the characters against the reader. I have heard that many readers did not like either of the main characters and found themselves hating the novel as result. From my perspective, the author painted a true and honest portrait of each character. Whether or not you liked one or both of the characters was irrelevant, a study of human motivation was put on display.

Final Thoughts

This book will not be enjoyed by everyone. The unconventional story telling will be off putting to some as will these less than ordinary main characters. I recently read the classic novel, Rebecca. In that story we are faced with a naive and lacklustre protagonist that I had come to despise for the first three quarters of the book. The author eventually used those feelings and the protagonists unreliable narration to turn the story on its head and leave me embracing the character for who she was. This novel does a very similar things characters. I thought this form of writing was masterful in the classic novel and I am equally impressed with its use in this modern psychological thriller.

Word of warning. If you are put off by adult language, you may wish to avoid this one. There was significant swearing throughout. I have been known to abandon books with excessive swearing but I was so involved in this one that I couldn't stop listening to the audiobook. ( )
  timmeloche | Jun 12, 2015 |
I love a good tale with an unreliable narrator. While this one moved along at a fairly good clip, I wasn't as entranced by it as the others were. For me, too long to get to the payoff. For once, I felt it's okay to just go to the movie. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Jun 8, 2015 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,860,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible