Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

7,658753440 (3.87)3 / 673
Member:ReadingWithMartinis
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:*****

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (739)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (751)
A little mystery, basically a good read. ( )
  dddale | Oct 28, 2014 |
This is a brilliantly written book that keeps you turning pages, but I never really liked the characters. At a certain point in the book, I no longer cared what happened to them. ( )
  vnesting | Oct 26, 2014 |
This book was OK, but not a page-turner until the end. The author's writing from the perspective of a young married man and woman was an interesting facet of the book and I was always trying to match up the time and place. I heard that the book was a twister at the end and it is...unexpected. ( )
  buffalogr | Oct 24, 2014 |
Firstly, I really hated the characters in this book and at first that made the reading slow going. So, if you are the kind of person who wants to like the characters you are reading about for 400+ pages, steer clear! As much as I hated the characters in the book, I found them fascinating. They annoyed me and infuriated me, but I just couldn't stop reading their infuriating thoughts. The book feels like gossip. You know you shouldn't listen, but you can't stop.

I didn't get sucked into this book until I was half-way through the book.

The following is a rant with spoilers, read at your own risk:

I had one major gripe with this book and it almost made me stop reading. Three times Amy falsely accuses men of rape. Twice, her physically harms herself to create evidence to further her rape accusations. I never liked Amy, but I hate when rape is used as a device to further a story but to make a horrible character even more awful, just sort of hit a raw nerve. I understand why the author did it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or respect that choice. This alone is what stops this book from getting 5 stars and nearly puts it at three stars for me. ( )
  jilliantow | Oct 22, 2014 |
A very well written novel, I could not put it down! I was very pleased with the screen adaptation as well. ( )
  anorred79 | Oct 20, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,467,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible