Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

10,9601054258 (3.86)4 / 871
Member:ReadingWithMartinis
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:*****

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.

English (1,030)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,049)
Review: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

I enjoyed the book and it was well written. It held my interest to the very last page with a variety of twists and turns, thrilling adventures and surprising events that kept me wanting to read on.

Nick and Amy were married, living in New York as successful writers until they both lost their jobs because of the failing economy. They involuntarily abandoned their comfortable lifestyles and move to little town in Missouri. As a young married couple, it was definitely a change from what they were use to. Between the two of them they brought amazing character traits to the story. It is a devious tale of a problem filled with a situation followed by being led down a destructive path of events.

Nick and Amy’s sick twisted marriage is revealed with each page you turn to read. The story keeps pulling you in deeper as you read on and thinking, “what could possibly happen now?” The author is about to take the reader down another path of, “for better or worse”, when they come upon the date of Nick and Amy’s fifth anniversary.

Something traumatic happens on this special day and plus at a time in their trouble marriage where there is instability, lies, and deceit. As Nick narrates the story midway throughout the misconception on his part of the marriage Amy also speaks through five years worth of chronological diary entries.

I thought the story was surprisingly mind boggling in a good way and worth every minute invested within its pages. This was a fast pace read and it kept me dazzled for days afterwards wondering who the devious one was after all. So, I placed Nick and Amy at the top of the list….,”for better or worse”.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Amy and Nick are married for five years, but there is not much harmony left. All of a sudden, Amy is missing. And from there, a more and more surprising and devious plot develops, cleverly and elegantly put together by a very talented writer.

It is difficult to talk about the plot without risking spoilers. So let's say this: It is not a conventional thriller. There are twists and totally surprising developments, we are getting manipulated and are lied to by both protagonists. It's not only a thriller, the book is also about unconventional truths about love and marriage. Sadly, the ending is a disappointment. Best not to expect too much from it and just enjoy the reading of the novel as such.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Really, really good. Two truly awful characters, but Amy wins in the psychopathic sociopath stakes! Full of partial truths and slow reveals, the story wends its way through some horrible territory, but I found that I couldn't stop reading till the last chilling sentence. This is a big drag queen of a book with six-inch heels and big hair. Loved it! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Gah! I started off hating everything about this couple. At a certain point in the novel, things began to change and I ended up thinking it was pretty good. Not impressed with having to slog through two-thirds of the book though, just to see if what others were saying was true. Haven't seen the movie and I really had no clue as to the outcome.
I still hate the Dunne's though. ( )
  lostkiwi | May 26, 2016 |
I'd really like to give this 3.5 stars, but Goodreads won't let me. While I thought this was an entertaining read, I'm definitely not as wowed by it as a lot of people have been.

The "twist" was underwhelming, and the main characters were highly unlikeable, but overall it was ok to read. ( )
  GwenMcGinty | May 13, 2016 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

"En un caluroso día de verano, Amy y Nick se disponen a celebrar su quinto aniversario de bodas en North Carthage, a orillas del río Mississippi. Pero Amy desaparece esa misma mañana sin dejar rastro. A medida que la investigación policial avanza, las sospechas recaen sobre Nick. Sin embargo, Nick insiste en su inocencia. Es cierto que se muestra extrañamente evasivo y frío, pero ¿es un asesino?"--Book cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,995,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible