Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

7,180710495 (3.86)3 / 635
Member:DCloyceSmith
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:**

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (698)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (710)
Wowser, psycho story that just pulls you in and keeps you breathless from start to finish. Ms. Flynn has a great way of writing that is so fast paced it keeps your heart pumping. Amazing that I didn't like any of the characters yet couldn't put the book down. ( )
  sunnydrk | Aug 27, 2014 |
This book was like being shoved into a loop d'loop coaster, never knowing what comes next. For me, it wasn't very predictable (which was great) but then again, I'm not usually a huge reader of crime/mystery novels. I love reading a good mystery, don't get me wrong, but I think the genre tends to pump out series after series and it gets a little mundane.

THIS book, was anything BUT mundane. After reading the first few chapters, I wanted to throw the book and yell at everyone who ever gave this a semi-decent review. Thankfully, I stuck with it (thanks to all my goodreads friends whose taste I trust), the book really came through for me when I realized that those HORRIBLE characters are meant to be that way... it actually makes the story more intriguing and believable. I needed a book like this, it came at a perfect time and I thank Flynn for being able to deliver a book with such twists and surprises. I look forward to being in the mood for a good twisty mystery and knowing that Flynn has a few that are sure to please. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Very well written -- however the ending left me dissatisfied. ( )
  ms_samparker | Aug 21, 2014 |
I know this was and remains a bestseller but I thought it was awful. I did not like the characters, the plot was predictable and the resolution was pitiful. Should you read it? Depends on the amount of suffering you are able to endure. Depends on the number of hours in your life that you cannot think of anything better to do. I should have used this time to read something else, solve world destruction or at the very least be like the cartoon lad mouse Brain and plan to take over the world. Pleas do not let there be a sequel.
As a person who wanted to enjoy this novel, I am sadden that it has not only been a bestseller but soon to be released movie. And OMG are law enforcement personnel this incompetent? If so I fear for the future of America.
  vtlucania | Aug 20, 2014 |
Reader, I devoured it. One of those watching-the-clock-'til-the-time-I-can get-back-to-reading-it books. Like many before me, I read Gone Girl quickly, see-sawing between horror and admiration for this author and the tale she tells.

There's no-one to root for, really. Gillian Flynn switches between two narrators, a 30-something married couple. Both are mostly unlikeable and wholly unreliable. Amy is a Manhattan trust fund kid resentfully slumming it in Missouri. Nick is the sort of handsome, oblivious guy a lot of chicks dig these days. Then Amy disappears on their fifth wedding anniversary and Nick (and the reader) follow a trail peppered with clues - and more than a few red herrings - to find out what really happened to her.

Flynn is a clever writer, in two ways. First and foremost, her plotting is smart enough to keep even the sharpest armchair sleuth guessing. But her writing also, at times, tips over into smugness. It reminded me of the precocious, self-satisfied expression of an expensively educated teenager - aren't I just so cool and clever. This novel is so hip that it probably won't date very well. But for now, as a reflection on marriage, media and the criminal justice system in early 21st century America, Gone Girl resonates. ( )
  whirled | Aug 20, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,284,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible