Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

8,427821368 (3.87)3 / 729
Member:DCloyceSmith
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:**

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, xavierroy, smjevans, llibrro, tinytree, binator, labdaddy4, JohannahCushing, morgenjoy
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (801)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (815)
The tight writing drew me in but the main characters and subject material were, for the most part, disgusting. I did not feel even the slightest tremor of sympathy for either of the primary players. I found the ending to be very unsatisfying. I do not know what would have been better - maybe a double suicide - but certainly not what the author wrote. ( )
  labdaddy4 | Jan 31, 2015 |
This book was great! Both characters are despicable, but you can't stop reading about them! My hope is that Ms. Flynn writes a sequel. ( )
  abwahl1998 | Jan 29, 2015 |
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet? ( )
  jepeters333 | Jan 28, 2015 |
This book was deliciously twisted. Overall, it's well-written, although the prose is sometimes overwrought. In grafting literary pretensions onto the pop thriller genre, Flynn manages to create an unusual and enthralling novel, even if she doesn't quite pull it off masterfully.

Many reviewers are complaining that characters were too unlikeable and that there was no one to root for, but that's one of the things I really liked about the book. Sometimes I enjoy the challenge of getting inside the head of a character that is abhorrent yet convincingly portrayed. Also, unreliable narrators are great fun when the writing is good enough to make it work, and Flynn pulls it off excellently. The first sign I was going to like the book was at the end of chapter five, when Nick says (not a big spoiler, just a hint of foreshadowing from page 37): "It was my fifth lie to the police. I was just starting," and the reader has no idea what he is lying about.. Amy and Nick's relationship is NOT healthy, for the record. This is not really a problem unless you think they are role models, which they really are not. And frankly, I can muster up a bit of sympathy for both Amy and Nick, even though they both have serious flaws.

The plot surprised me two or three times, even though I was trying to guess where it was going the whole time. A prediction of mine that didn't come true: For a while, I thought Nick's father had done it. He kept showing up, he had been out of the nursing home on the day Amy disappeared, and he was a violent misogynist...

The diary-entry Amy is really annoying to read, which makes the first part of the book a little sappy for my taste. But I see why it had to be done that way, so I found it worthwhile to slog through those bits. ( )
  brleach | Jan 26, 2015 |
It's hard to say much about this book without introducing spoilers. Other reviewers call this a thriller or a mystery, but to me it was a story about complex relationships and breath-taking audacity, which kept me guessing until the end.

Other writers will wryly note the breaking of the rule which states: Don't start your book with your character getting out of bed. However, that shouldn't read as sour grapes - this is a masterful novel and in my eyes fully deserves its success. I found the first part a little long (you'll know when you reach the part with the first big twist!), but with a tale this gripping, it's easy to forgive a little extra detail.

I'm curious to see how they'll adapt the diary part of the book for the movie and look forward to seeing these memorable characters come to life on screen. ( )
  paulinewiles | Jan 26, 2015 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,157,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible