Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

10,4251009275 (3.86)4 / 850
Member:mtspear
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:***1/2

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.

English (986)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,005)
This book started off as standard missing wife plot, with the police investigation slowly pointing to the husband, Nick Dunne, as her killer. It takes the standard tropes and twists them, to make a story that is uniquely different.

First, the story is well written. The two main characters, Nick and Amy Dunne, are not likable but they aren't unlikable either. They are written as a fairly standard couple, with ups and down. The book follows a narrative with each chapter being narrated by Nick, and then Amy. I found it annoying that Nick perspective was first person, not being told to anybody, but it included lies and omissions. As for Amy, the story is told from perspectives of her diary, which I found odd, because her diary wasn't found until the last third of the book.

However, the second half of the book switched who the bad guy was. As we go along, we find out that Amy is a psychopath, obsessed with being perfect. She is smart and patience, willing to take months and years to set up somebody who has wronged her. But, here character is too psychopathic, too perfect in her plan. After a few chapters of Amy's perspective, I just wanted the book to end. On the strength of the writing, plus the book was twisty, I kept with it, only to be disappointed on the ending- Amy's plan was too perfect, too Hollywood.

There are a few things that did bother me - the hotshot lawyer Nick hires from New York, Could he even practice Law in Missouri without a license? And second, for someone who has lost all her money, stays at home all day, and in theory, doing the shopping, she should know what a gallon of milk costs. Also, prices are usually posted on all items. To me, in a book that is this tightly written, it was a slip that stood out.

As a whole, the book was interesting and well written. The author clearly did her research. I found the police detectives investigating the story to be very real, very down to earth. But, the main characters themselves were over the top and annoying. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Feb 13, 2016 |
Well, it had to be read, and it was a page turner of sorts, but it wasn't great. I most enjoyed the first third but I'd worked out what was going on before the big reveal. And then it all got a bit...silly. I don't think I'll read any more of her books, but am wondering to myself if they're all the same - twisty. ( )
  ellohull | Feb 10, 2016 |
This contemporary drama has a lot of twist and turn. It is well written to develop the main characters, both are not all that likable and sometime down right scary. I am just not sure that i like the story due to the fact that it may be too close to home. ( )
  Baochuan | Feb 9, 2016 |
disturbing unlikeable characters, unsatisfactory ending ( )
1 vote Claudia.Anderson | Feb 7, 2016 |
This is a dark book, and is a good one. Even though I gave it a 4 star rating, I felt that she could have done with 30 pages less.

The section where she writes in Amy's voice, is where she comes alive, and Ms Flynn brings out the psychotic nature of Amy's personality beautifully. She also does a very good job with Nick. However, I don't know if another ending would have been better.

There is a hint of menace in the last few lines. The only issue that I have, is that she seems to make Amy the perfect plotter, however, psychotic people do make mistakes.

These are small quibbles, however.
It is an engrossing and fascinating book, dark and full of twists. ( )
1 vote RajivC | Feb 7, 2016 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,256,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible