Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

11,6191080232 (3.86)4 / 886
Member:brainella
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:*
Tags:psychotics, mystery, fiction, murder, Ohio

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, tralliott, JennysBookBag.com, KCampana, suenh, lisa2, krickal, miacat_1, CKVan
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)

English (1,060)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,079)
I almost didn't finish this book. I had high hopes since it was on the best seller list, but I found myself disappointed. I follow a 50-page rule and after 50 pages, I still wasn't hooked on the book. First of all, I didn't care about the characters. At the beginning, the characterization was flat and I thought the author should have developed them better early on. Second, I found the alternating POV very distracting and made the suspense drag. I kept reading because I still wanted to know what happened. it finally got some momentum for a while, but the ending was a disappointment. it was one of those hum-drum endings that made you wonder why you even bothered to read it. i gave it three stars because of the moments it actually kept my interest and I've read worse. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I planned on reviewing this book soon after reading it, as per usual, but I couldn't figure out what to say. Part of me would like to revisit Gone Girl at some point, see if I can figure out why so many have raved/continue to rave about it. A larger part of me dreads the very thought.

Gone Girl had so much to it that I normally gravitate towards in novels. It billed a juicy twist, had multiple and possibly unreliable narrators, and a lot of readers talked about how savvy Flynn is in portraying character emotion. Awesome, right?

The juicy twist erred to the side of rancid rather than sweet for me. It was so drawn out that it felt like Flynn was simply throwing plot developments in for the hell of it from a Jerry-Springer-ish grab bag. I couldn't connect with the characters at all; I didn't need to identify with the protags as much as find them emotionally and mentally relevant - I never found that relevance. I don't want to blab any plot spoilers so I won't go into specifics. I do have to get this off my chest though- I found both protagonists to be intolerably insipid.

I did stick with the book so I'm responsible for my own frustration. I'd read Dark Places and kept hoping that I was wrong about the twist, that something would sneak up and utterly flatten my running perspective of the book. Didn't happen. While Dark Places wore on a bit in places as well, I would certainly recommend that book more readily than this.

All that being said, I probably would have initially rated this book as a 2 star read. I've grown so tired of new thrillers being billed as comparisons to this book, however, that distance has made the heart grow harder rather than fonder. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I read this after I saw the movie and I probably shouldn't have. I had heard the book ended differently, and maybe it did, but not enough to make a difference. I didn't like or root for any of the characters, except maybe the guy's sister, and it's basically just glorified rich white people problems. And I'm a relatively comfortably-off white person. These people act like what most older people think of Millennials. Ick. ( )
  EmScape | Sep 19, 2016 |
I cannot stand this book. I still get mad when I think about how I read this all the way through; I should have stopped, but I didn't think it would be that bad. There closest to likable characters in this book were the sister, the attorney, and a former victim of our titular Girl; everyone else was vapid, self-centered, disgusting examples of human beings. This was given to me by someone else, and I would have been even more pissed if I'd paid money for this book.

Amy's parents are completely obtuse assholes who use their daughter as the basis for their best-selling book series in such a way as to shame her when she makes choices they don't agree with. When they lose everything due to their irresponsible actions throughout their life, they turn to said daughter to save them.

Nick is a complete jerk who for some reason thinks it's a good idea to open a bar in his hometown using the remainder of his wife's wealth. Lacking excitement and tired of his life, he foolishly begins a relationship with one of his students--which is disgusting enough to begin with given the power differential, but I may especially sensitive to this given that I work in a university and this is an absolute no-no.

And of course, Amy. Who likes nothing more than seeking revenge on those who she perceives have wronged her in some manner, or whom she has grown tired of. The "amazing" woman who cares for no one but herself, but wants others to be equally as enraptured as she is with herself. The chameleon who blames others for her plight and dissatisfaction with her lot, yet feels so flippant about her life that she is willing to give it up to have her revenge. The loathsome creature who feels no compunction at taking the life of another, regardless of how repulsive the man and his obsessive love for her was.

This book is one long story of lies, half-truths, and manipulations. The story itself is incredible--and by that I mean, beyond belief. I find it easier to suspend my belief for a story that is rooted in fantasy than one that purports to depict a "regular" person's life. The fact that all of her machinations could be so carefully planned, that so many pieces could be put into place in anticipation of the plot, is truly unbelievable. Once Amy chooses to return she works her manipulative ways to wrap her parents around her finger, as well as the public. She has lost some support of law enforcement, as her motive and sociopathy has become clear.

Yet just when you think that a satisfying end is near, that's when everything changes. Earlier in the book, Nick shares with us a seemingly insignificant detail that suggests one more reason why their future began to unravel, one more reason that the golden couple began to drift apart. This comes back as a plot twist to ensure that no one will receive anything resembling a satisfying end to this train wreck of a relationship. The impetus for this reconciliation, and the off-page ploy which brought it about, disgusted me more than anything in the rest of the story.

I had read Sharp Objects prior to reading this book, and while I didn't love that story I was truly excited to read Gone Girl given the rave reviews I had heard from co-workers, friends, and the rest of the world. My grad school cohort happened to pick this for the monthly book club, and I was quite excited because I actually already had the book as well as the time to read it to participate for once. I hated the book so much that I didn't even attend the book club meeting because I didn't want to think about it, or get angry. I don't know that I have ever had such a visceral reaction to a book before and certainly not since. I refuse to read a Gillian Flynn novel again, given the fact I didn't like either I read and the second is easily the least favorite book I have ever read. Amongst everything else, it made me feel depressed and I just didn't want that in addition to the anger and frustration it made me feel.

I will give this book one thing--it is compelling, suspenseful, and I found it hard to put down. However, if you are a person who wants to read a book with likable characters, this is not a book for you. If you like to read books with an actual heroine, hero, or even anti-hero(ine), this is not likely the book for you. But if you like dysfunctional characters, or narcissistic personality disorder intrigues you, by all means... but you may want to borrow it, just in case. ( )
1 vote AeshaMali | Sep 17, 2016 |
I want to give it 3 and a half stars, but can't, so I was stuck with 4. Much more realistic near the beginning than the end. The twist changed the book into a less believable genre with less believable characters. Very good anyway. The audiobook version is quite well-acted. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

"En un caluroso día de verano, Amy y Nick se disponen a celebrar su quinto aniversario de bodas en North Carthage, a orillas del río Mississippi. Pero Amy desaparece esa misma mañana sin dejar rastro. A medida que la investigación policial avanza, las sospechas recaen sobre Nick. Sin embargo, Nick insiste en su inocencia. Es cierto que se muestra extrañamente evasivo y frío, pero ¿es un asesino?"--Book cover.… (more)

4 1952

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,236,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible