Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

12,5801140190 (3.86)4 / 940
Member:quillmenow
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:*
Tags:borrowed copy, mystery, fiction

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Recently added bykkacapor, jkrzok, alystar_2968, GGH, private library, jscwv, lapiccolina, DarrellR, ecfg
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paul A. Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)

English (1,117)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (4)  German (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (1,138)
Terrific writing, terrific reading, hated to have to put it aside. ( )
  ReneeGKC | Jun 21, 2017 |
I found this to be a very fast read, I expected to have to push through some slow scenes, but I found myself flying through. An engaging story, even with information from all the people, you never quite know what the ending will bring, until you get there. I do make an effort *not* to try to guess ahead, because I enjoy the discovery, but I don't think it was obvious either. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jun 17, 2017 |
This book was a real page-turner. The character development was well-done. I especially liked the transformation of the husband. The ending was very good. So why only two stars? It was too easy to predict "whodunit". I felt that I was reading a very good episode of Law and Order (which is actually referenced in the book). This is will be a perfect book to turn into a movie, since it's a very good story without a lot of depth. The themes are simplistic, another reason I didn't care for it. Take it on vacation. But I don't see a lot to talk about in a book club. ( )
  ErinDenver | Jun 12, 2017 |
Pretty average - the movie was way better! ( )
  Tamsin17 | Jun 11, 2017 |
Lots of hype in 2012 when I first tried to read this. I couldn't make it past a few chapters...the writing was that annoying. I tried two more times in the past two years and each time came away thinking this is really awful. When my wife thought she'd want to read it two days ago, I decided to give it the fourth charming time attempt. Maybe halfway through, I finally got desensitized to the annoying style, the unlikeable characters, the transparent plot, and just kept reading. Yay.

I get the distinct impression that Flynn thought she was cleverly misdirecting and springing "bet you didn't see that coming!" moments on her readers. Unfortunately for her, all I kept thinking of was the poor untalented magician stuffing the foam ball in his pocket while trying to get me to look at his other hand. Unfortunately for the world, I've heard of many people who were thinking precisely, "Whoa! did NOT see THAT coming!!"

How could anyone NOT see what was coming? This is a bad made-for-television movie script, clumsily rendered. Still, I guess I can see that some people wouldn't...I had a roommate in the Navy who was reading The Shining, and burst out with "Wow! REDRUM is 'murder' backwards! How did I not know that?" Not sure whatever happened to him. Glad we weren't on the same ship, though.

The upshot of a book with no redeeming qualities is that despite it being 560 pages, the simplistic writing and lack of depth make for a quick brainless read....that only took me two years and two days. It's still really awful, and deserves one star, but I've been generous this year and it's hard to give fiction just one star. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

"En un caluroso día de verano, Amy y Nick se disponen a celebrar su quinto aniversario de bodas en North Carthage, a orillas del río Mississippi. Pero Amy desaparece esa misma mañana sin dejar rastro. A medida que la investigación policial avanza, las sospechas recaen sobre Nick. Sin embargo, Nick insiste en su inocencia. Es cierto que se muestra extrañamente evasivo y frío, pero ¿es un asesino?"--Book cover.… (more)

4 2055

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,195,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible