HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Loading...

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
8,086785396 (3.87)3 / 701
Member:Sugar_Diva
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:*
Tags:None

Work details

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

  1. 151
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
  2. 21
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
  3. 10
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
  4. 10
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
  5. 00
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
  6. 00
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
  7. 00
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
  8. 00
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
  9. 01
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
  10. 47
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (771)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (785)
Showing 1-5 of 771 (next | show all)
I must read this book so I know what the big deal is...sure I could watch the movie but I have a problem with Ben Affleck...so I rather read the book first...
2 vote | MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
Nick's wife Amy disappears on their anniversary. Nick soon realizes he is caught in the web of his missing wife. Clues take him through his upside-down marriage and also highlight his infidelity with a young 20-something year old student. In Part 2, when you begin to hear the inner voice of Amy, you soon find yourself in a psychopathic relationship not knowing who to pull for.

This book is full on suspense and twists come up again and again. I HATED the ending but then again, everyone does and you're supposed to. The movie adaption, in my opinion, was well done. I'm not sure if I'll be reading any other Julia Flynn books because of the ending but I wouldn't turn it down if it was free lol. ( )
  missbrandysue | Dec 9, 2014 |
Gillian Flynn - автор без тормозов.
Помимо того, что эта книга - триллер, который нево​зможно отложить, в ней автор еще попутно и подняла​ социальные вопросы. Персонажи книги живые и выпук​лые люди, а не как обычно в американской литератур​е картонные фигуры. Повествование ведется от лица ​мужа и жены по очереди. Причем когда я выбирала, ч​то почитать, меня долго отталкивало в описании кни​ги, что это книга о преступлении, жена исчезает, м​уж под подозрением, я думала - зачем мне еще одна ​книга, где муж чудовище, а жена страдает? В итоге ​я все-таки прочитала ее, и ни капли не жалею. Бана​льных сюжетных ходов здесь нет, каждый персонаж об​ладает своими четкими и логичными (пусть немного и​ нездоровыми) мотивами, которые можно понять. ​
Набрала в My Clippings на Киндле цитат из нее, у автора язык очень отточ​енный. Как я писала ранее, по книге выйдет фильм, ​2 октября этого года.
Читать дальше на BookGeek.ru!href> ( )
  otikhonova | Dec 8, 2014 |
Gone Girl was fantastic. It made me think, it kept me on the edge of my seat, and it made me want to know. The story is deeply intriguing and detailed. This is a book I will never forget.
  GraceMA | Dec 6, 2014 |
At times poppy, at times nouveau-noir, but all the time captivating. ( )
2 vote Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 771 (next | show all)
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)
 
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)
 
This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)
 

» Add other authors (3 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

           Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
Dedication
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
First words
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Haiku summary
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

No descriptions found.

(see all 2 descriptions)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 9 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.87)
0.5 9
1 70
1.5 10
2 164
2.5 75
3 558
3.5 296
4 1386
4.5 272
5 804

Audible.com

An edition of this book was published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,339,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible