Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

7,385739476 (3.87)3 / 653
Member:Sugar_Diva
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:*

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (717)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (729)
Couldn't put it down!

(Caution: minor spoilers in the second paragraph.)

This is a story about two shitty people, trapped in a shitty marriage, and their mostly shitty parents and occasionally shitty friends. In spite of (or perhaps because of) the dearth of likable characters and the absence of a clear hero to root for, Gone Girl is a remarkably enjoyable read: witty, darkly humorous, wickedly fun. Even though I knew that there would be a major plot twist – and had a good guess as to its nature – Flynn still managed to surprise me, with multiple smaller twists beyond the first biggie. The overall structure of the book (Boy Loses Girl; Boy Meets Girl; Boy Gets Girl Back) serves the story well, and Flynn’s writing style is both entertaining and trenchant, and keeps the plot moving forward at a steady pace. GONE GIRL is a longish novel that feels lengthy – but in the best way possible. There’s so much action and observation crammed into these 400+ pages that I never got bored with it.

Gone Girl is ripe for deeper analysis: of the dynamics of interpersonal violence; rape culture; media sensationalism; the recession and erosion of the American middle class; sexism and misogyny; and gender roles and shifting expectations (Amy’s infamous “Cool Girl” rant comes to mind). For example, Amy’s false rape accusations are deeply troubling and play into rape apologist talking points (women lie about rape for their own benefit). Then again, she’s a sociopath! She hides jars of her own vomit inside frozen Brussels sprouts bags, and steals her pregnant neighbor’s urine. None of her actions really translate to an IRL setting. Which is why I (mostly) powered my thinking cap down for this one, and enjoyed it for what it was: crazy, crazy fun.

http://www.easyvegan.info/2014/10/17/gone-girl-by-gillian-flynn/ ( )
  smiteme | Sep 28, 2014 |
This book is definitely suspenseful! Up to the last sentence, which made me wonder...what next?! ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
Nick Dunne has met the girl of his dreams in Amy Elliott. She is smart, funny and very beautiful. They have met at a friends' party and click right away.

Nick is a writer who is currently creating questionnaires for a magazine. Amy is the daughter and inspiration for her parents' series of books "Amazing Amy". Both are extremely good-looking and make a beautiful couple.

Nick and Amy live in New York and they both lose their jobs weeks apart from each other. Nick receives a phone call from his sister, Margo (Go), that their mother is ill and needs to be cared for. Nick and Amy move back to Nick's hometown in Missouri.

This is when the trouble between Nick and Amy begins. Nick has found Amy to be intolerably picky and has co-purchased a bar that he runs with his sister, "The Bar". From this point, the shenanigans get very serious. Amy devises plans, Nick falls into traps.

This is psychological thriller par none. The scheming and game-playing are mind-bending. This is a book you definitely must read and then cherish the real relationships that you have in your life. ( )
  JReynolds1959 | Sep 27, 2014 |
this book was spectacular !
it had me tied to my chair until the very last page, and then that ending ... that was something !
I would surely recommend this if you like a good thriller/mystery. ( )
  lisa.isselee | Sep 26, 2014 |
This is the most frustrating, upsetting book I have read in recent memory, and I have done nothing but struggle with the desire to throw my kindle across the room in the ten minutes since I've finished it. Several times I had to set it down and breathe various curse words to try and vent my frustration with these wonderful, terrible characters. Absolutely worth a read if only for that delicious, bitter ending - just my type. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,960,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible