Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

7,887783422 (3.87)3 / 686
Member:Sugar_Diva
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:*

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (756)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (769)
I really enjoyed this book. The twists and turns were shocking and unpredictable. I hate it when your figure out what's going to happen next in a book. I would definitely recommend reading this. I'm also looking forward to seeing the movie. ( )
  | Nov 20, 2014 | edit |
Twisty twist page turner. The writing itself isn't particularly special, but the story is deftly plotted/revealed and suspenseful. ( )
  Michelle_Detorie | Nov 18, 2014 |
After a women simply disappears on the moening of their wedding anniversary her husband becoming more and more suspicious. Did he really killed his wife or the truth is something much more weirder? A great page-turner. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Nov 16, 2014 |
I personally find it humorous that product descriptions of this book vaguely state that you are about to watch "the dissolution of a modern marriage." It sounds so benign. This is not just a mere dissolution of a modern marriage. Dissolution means growing apart, fighting constantly over every little thing, like who should be taking out the trash and picking Johnny up from soccer practice, or yes, even adultery. But in Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl, this is some seriously demented, psychotic, twisted, maniacal mind screwing! This is Fatal Attraction in a book form ... although I should probably check to make sure Fatal Attraction wasn't actually based on a book itself before I make that claim.

Yes, you have the perfect couple that every couple wants to be (at least as it appears to outsiders): Nick and Amy Dunne, who have transplanted themselves from the cultural and social megalopolis of Manhattan to drab and dreary small town Missouri because both have lost their exotic jobs as professional writers. On the morning of the couple's 5th wedding anniversary, Amy goes missing from their small-town house, and Nick goes ... evasive. It was interesting to plow through the first part and try to unravel the psychological complexities of Nick Dunne - made all the more brilliant because the story is told in the first person from his POV - while meandering through the flat, two-dimensional Amy, whose life with Nick up to the day of the disappearance is told through a series of journal entries. I applaud Flynn's ability to make Nick a mystery in the story of his wife's disappearance, when he is telling the story.

And then you get to Part Two, where, yes, the POVs now switch back and forth between Nick and Amy, and again, I applaud Flynn because the flat, two-dimensional Amy of the diary entries in Part One becomes a richer and more complex character, while Nick becomes flat ... and two-dimensional. That is the true genius I walked away with: somebody who appears psychologically complicated is not, and somebody who appears psychologically simple is not. Flynn's ability to unravel these two characters is, in a word, astounding.

Did I like either of these characters? Not particularly. But that doesn't mean they weren't a fascinating read, especially from that psychological perspective. And I will admit, the slow unveiling of the story behind Amy's disappearance: when, how, and why, kept me turning the pages. As completely demented as everything was in this book, I wanted to find out what happened. And I take that as a good thing. Because, to me, that means this was a brilliantly crafted novel, even if I hope I never meet anyone like Nick or Amy Dunne in real life. ( )
2 vote parhamj | Nov 16, 2014 |
LOVED this!!!! I could NOT put this one down!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible