Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Collections:Read and reviewed., To read
Rating:***1/2

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Shadow Tag: A Novel by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    In the Woods by Tana French (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Unreliable narrators, psychopaths, unsympathetic characters who miss their chance at redemption
    Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)

English (1,248)  Dutch (5)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (1,274)
I skimmed this book because it another book I am reading is described as "Gone Girl meets Pretty Little Liars" in YA. But this is neither YA nor urban fantasy, and I also did not enjoy the 1st person interchanging epistolary chapters (diary and narrative), and I found much of the 'meat' of both mc's to be banal. I will not be modeling any of my books on this one. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
I liked it. I'm confused why so many people were shocked by it - people are smart and devious and terrible. ( )
  liz.mabry | May 13, 2019 |
This actually lived up to the hype. I loved it. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
p.s. Thinking about living with someone who could easily murder you: it would bring a certain sharpness to daily life, the mirror of what living with a sense of being deeply loved would do. They’re flips of the same coin, aren't they?

It feels as if the author took the list of characteristics of Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACOA) and created the protagonist out of this list.

1. We became isolated and afraid of people and authority figures.
2. We became approval seekers and lost our identity in the process.
3. We are frightened of angry people and any personal criticism.
4. We either become alcoholics, marry them or both, or find another compulsive personality such as a workaholic to fulfill our sick abandonment needs.
5. We live life from the viewpoint of victims and we are attracted by that weakness in our love and friendship relationships.
6. We have an overdeveloped sense of responsibility and it is easier for us to be concerned with others rather than ourselves; this enables us not to look too closely at our own faults, etc.
7. We get guilt feelings when we stand up for ourselves instead of giving in to others.
8. We became addicted to excitement.
9. We confuse love and pity and tend to "love" people we can "pity" and "rescue."
10. We have "stuffed" our feelings from our traumatic childhoods and have lost the ability to feel or express our feelings because it hurts so much (Denial).
11. We judge ourselves harshly and have a very low sense of self-esteem.
12. We are dependent personalities who are terrified of abandonment and will do anything to hold on to a relationship in order not to experience painful abandonment feelings, which we received from living with sick people who were never there emotionally for us.
13. Alcoholism is a family disease; and we became para-alcoholics and took on the characteristics of that disease even though we did not pick up the drink.
14. Para-alcoholics are reactors rather than actors.

A well done novel with an ending which makes sense and I credit the author’s skill in bringing the reader around to that point of view.
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
While I enjoyed reading Gone Girl overall I did have one qualm. The slow pace from the beginning to the middle of the novel. I kept wanting something to happen. Once the latter half of the book picked up I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. The story is narrated in alternating chapters by married couple Nick and Amy. We get Nick’s side of the story then we get Amy’s diary entries and her side of the story.

These two are New Yorkers who have both lost their jobs. Nick is originally from Missouri and worked as a journalist in the city. Amy is an only child whose parents made their wealth from the “Amazing Amy” children’s books that they co-wrote. The books are modeled after Amy and she is somewhat of a celebrity as a result.
After they both lose their jobs Amy funds Nick’s business venture, a bar in his hometown and they both move back to Missouri. Amy goes missing one morning leaving signs of a scuffle in their home and her anniversary present to Nick behind. With the police investigation in full swing and the case gaining public attention especially since Amy is known for the Amazing Amy books, you wonder whether she is alive or not and what really happened to her.

As the story flows, I suspected Nick but I thought that would be too obvious the answer. He is an unreliable narrator and you see how he resents Amy and her wealth but takes full advantage of it. You also see how Amy feels she is getting older and might be losing her husband’s interest. This is one of her biggest needs, to control people and things.

This novel is full of unlikable characters and as per Gillian Flynn books you can’t help but want to know more. The story is well crafted and just as you think one thing is happening another plot twist emerges that makes you think otherwise. The author strings you along, revealing tidbits here and there and you are never really sure what to believe. And as per the author’s usual, the ending leaves it open for the reader to wonder what might come next. The mystery is solved and we know the answers but we are left dumbfounded.

Disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I purchased my copy of Gone Girl.
https://bookwormnai.wordpress.com/2019/04/27/gone-girl-by-by-gillian-flynn/ ( )
  bookworm_naida | Apr 27, 2019 |
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graziosi, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zani, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from police and the media -- as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents -- the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter -- but is he really a killer? As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they really know the one they love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible