Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

12,4551136195 (3.86)4 / 935
Member:BONS
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Collections:2013
Tags:suspense, missing person, New York, marriage, plot twist

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paul A. Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)

English (1,115)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (4)  German (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (1,136)
Lots of hype in 2012 when I first tried to read this. I couldn't make it past a few chapters...the writing was that annoying. I tried two more times in the past two years and each time came away thinking this is really awful. When my wife thought she'd want to read it two days ago, I decided to give it the fourth charming time attempt. Maybe halfway through, I finally got desensitized to the annoying style, the unlikeable characters, the transparent plot, and just kept reading. Yay.

I get the distinct impression that Flynn thought she was cleverly misdirecting and springing "bet you didn't see that coming!" moments on her readers. Unfortunately for her, all I kept thinking of was the poor untalented magician stuffing the foam ball in his pocket while trying to get me to look at his other hand. Unfortunately for the world, I've heard of many people who were thinking precisely, "Whoa! did NOT see THAT coming!!"

How could anyone NOT see what was coming? This is a bad made-for-television movie script, clumsily rendered. Still, I guess I can see that some people wouldn't...I had a roommate in the Navy who was reading The Shining, and burst out with "Wow! REDRUM is 'murder' backwards! How did I not know that?" Not sure whatever happened to him. Glad we weren't on the same ship, though.

The upshot of a book with no redeeming qualities is that despite it being 560 pages, the simplistic writing and lack of depth make for a quick brainless read....that only took me two years and two days. It's still really awful, and deserves one star, but I've been generous this year and it's hard to give fiction just one star. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Talk about a roller coaster ride of a book! Gone Girl is a brilliant thriller. I must admit the first 100 or so pages of the book did not hold my attention and was annoyed with the characters more than anything. However, I think that's fitting - in reality people aren't perfect or likeable like books make them out to be and the media truly is shameful when it pertains to news stories involving murder.

I love how the author kept me guessing all the way to the end and the twists and turns were just perfect. When you really dig deep into the psychology of the book, it is quite frightening to think there truly are people like that out there - psychopaths who are so manipulative that you don't even realize it until the cards are stacked up against you. I also enjoyed how the author integrated into the story the difficulties of relationships and those first few years of "trying to be who you think your significant other wants you to be" and shedding that persona and discovering that your significant other abhors your true self. A cautionary tale to those who pretend to be the "cool girl".

*Spoiler*

It seemed out of place to find this part of the story humorous but on page 405 (hardcover), I couldn't stop laughing after reading this part because it's silly and you completely understand why Nick felt that way but I just found it humorously ironic that he's becoming exactly who she wanted him to be. The way he described how he has changed and have become more attentive to details and replaying conversations in his head, unlike before, to ensure that he doesn't displease her and to ensure she doesn't kill him - made me laugh. I think the perverse side of me found it funny because I'm thinking "is this the only way to get your partner to listen and pay attention to you? By making them think there are severe consequences in being a lazy and inattentive partner." And what made me laughed even harder was thinking that "perhaps this wouldn't even be happening to Nick if he was this way (attentive) to begin with." However, I know that's not the point even though I found it humorous - the point is Amy is a complete psychopath who feels entitled to dole out punishment against those who do not act accordingly to her desires and so Nick is scared shitless. I truly feel sorry for the child that they're bringing into this "imaginary world" - to think this child is going to be manipulated and used as a pawn in this tragic upheaval that Nick and Amy are engaged in. This definitely wasn't the ending I was expecting but I think it's far more fitting than sending either one to jail. ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
as always the books I love the most, end the worst. I NEED MORE INFORMATION! ( )
  Megan.Aubrey.Truslow | May 18, 2017 |
"Gone Girl" is a caper like no other. The book starts out as a mushy gushy love story told by Amazing Amy Dunne, in dual perspective contrasting with ego-maniac and possible alcoholic Nick Dunne, who has discovered that Amy has gone missing. Frankly, the first half of her narrative is boring, endless, and I struggled through it, but you read on to realize it's purposely written like that.

It's likely you may already know the twist behind Amy's disappearance, but if you don't, read this book. If you do, read this book immediately. It's not often I encounter a book that completely warps my mind and makes me doubt everything. This unreliable narrative could make Edgar Allan Poe green with envy. ( )
1 vote dianaiozzia | May 11, 2017 |
Very clever. The story spools out like a set of Ukrainian nesting dolls, with details within details of each plot twist. I don't normally like mysteries but once in a while I read one that doesn't feel cookie cutter. Is it fair to penalize the author with 4 stars because I didn't like the ending? ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

"En un caluroso día de verano, Amy y Nick se disponen a celebrar su quinto aniversario de bodas en North Carthage, a orillas del río Mississippi. Pero Amy desaparece esa misma mañana sin dejar rastro. A medida que la investigación policial avanza, las sospechas recaen sobre Nick. Sin embargo, Nick insiste en su inocencia. Es cierto que se muestra extrañamente evasivo y frío, pero ¿es un asesino?"--Book cover.… (more)

4 2040

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,415,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible