Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

6,960692518 (3.87)3 / 621
Member:BONS
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Collections:2013
Tags:suspense, missing person, New York, marriage, plot twist

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (679)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (691)
Holy fucking shit, this book is fucking awesome! I haven't felt my mind so fucked with in so long and just holy shit! I mean fucking seriously, I was so enthralled and disturbed by this book I could barely fucking stand it, but I could not stop fucking reading! If you haven't read this yet, you need to right fucking now, and get ready for some emotional Dub Step! ( )
  Birdo82 | Jul 26, 2014 |
I first tried this book on audio, and the ensemble presentation ruined my read. The vocal portrayal of the characters was so negative, so dark, that I could not move forward with the book, nor could I appreciate Gillian Flynn's writing (I have read her other books, as well). So putting my headset aside, I picked up a hard copy. I am glad I did. I must say--and of course, it is only my opinion--that her writing is meant to be savored on the printed page.
What struck me the most is how dreams can exist to a point--before reality, living, nurture..so many things can alter and corrupt those dreams. The characters connected like smooth and lifeless children's lego blocks. But the structure their interconnections created was not at all pretty.
To accompany this book, I suggest American whiskey, straight no ice, with a tepid water chaser. Sipped slowly. ( )
  ruthann.yeaton | Jul 25, 2014 |
Lots of twists, turns and lies. It gets better and better. ( )
  Tilda.Tilds | Jul 23, 2014 |
I found Gone Girl to be a well thought out and planned story that is patient, thorough, and allowed me to enjoy the trip as I anticipated the arrival. Too often, a plot is set, a climax is coming, twists and turns show up in the end, but the journey is a bit bland and I find myself tempted to skip ahead to get to the good part. Not so with this book. Mr. Flynn keeps the pace while being meticulous, detailed, AND interesting along the way.
I do not recall a book with this structure and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the story from both narrators. Sometimes, the style felt like a Hitchcock movie, with the patiently building suspense flavored with humor and sarcasm. Made me think that this could be a good movie??
I am an impatient reader, at times. I value my reading time, and if a story goes flat or loses my intersted, I have no issue with putting the book down. As much as I enjoy Stephen Kings works, I have set many of his books aside...reluctantly, yes, but aside, nonetheless.
This book captured my interest and delivered the goods. Both characters deviated from the likeable and relatable personalities that I see so often. Neither was a "good guy", strictly speaking, but because of the authors persistence, I still found myself grasping to attach myself to them both.
I found myself searching for other works by the author and seeking out Amazons recommended readings.... ( )
  pife43 | Jul 23, 2014 |
A man's wife disappears, and he's quickly suspected of murder. The story is told by both spouses in parallel entries. Once one figures out that one (or maybe both?) of the narrators is unreliable it becomes fun in a creepy crawly way. If you liked "Diabolique" or have ever wanted to kill your spouse, read this book. ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,666,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible