Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

9,189890325 (3.87)4 / 813
Member:varwenea
Title:Gone Girl: A Novel
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:***1/2

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.

English (869)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (887)
A book of twists and psychological thrillings. Amy has disappeared leaving behind her husband Nick, who is sure that his hyper-intelligent, gorgeous New York wife has staged her disappearance from their home in Carthage, Missouri. Not entirely sure about the ending, but it does fit well within the story. ( )
1 vote devilish2 | Jul 3, 2015 |
Let me make something very clear before starting this book:

I had no idea what it was about when I picked it up.

All I knew about this was that it was making millions and was always on sale either on Walgreens or CVS bookshelves. I knew this was an adult thriller. I knew that they were making a movie.

When I picked this up, I definitely DID NOT know that it would be such a mindfucking thought-provoking book.

From the very beginning, we know that Nick and Amy are a somewhat happy married couple. We know that they aren't perfect, but that they have a good relationship. Suddenly, Amy goes missing, and all signs point to Nick.

From here, I already knew I'd be having a massive headache trying to guess what happened. Since the story is told both from Nick's perspective and Amy's journal entries, we get to see more than the characters in the story do. We know that something is seriously wrong, but we have no idea what it is.

I really applaud the way that Gillian Flynn could explore all the psychological aspects of the book. I felt toyed with in most of the book. It's funny how everything could point to one direction, but really mean something else. I, for one, couldn't discover the secrets until Nick did, or until Amy "told" me with the journal entries.

The main characters where Nick and Amy, and I've got to say, they're both really unique characters.

I didn't really like Nick that much, but that's exactly what the author wanted us to feel. (You see, being toyed with again.) And Amy. I remember initially thinking "Wow, Amy's so cool and relatable. I hope nothing happened to her", but after about 60% of the book, the author comes and changes everything again.

There is only one way to describe Amy, and that is by quoting Nick.
"She is fucking brilliant. Her brain is so busy, it never works on just one level. She's like this endless archaeological dig: You think you've reached the final layer, and then you bring down your pick one more time, and you break through to a whole new mine shaft beneath. With a maze of tunnels and bottomless pits."

That is the most accurate way to describe Amy. She is one of the most complex characters I've ever seen.

The only thing that bugged me about the book was that it was slow paced. I had read almost half of the book, and I still had no idea what was going on.

I was desperate to know what was happenning. I wanted to know if Nick really was guilty.

Gillian Flynn really knew how to get in the mind of a psychologically disturbed person; she created a trully terrifying human being in the story.

This is an adult book, so I obviously wouldn't reccomend it to everyone, but if you're a mature person, I'm pretty sure you can handle this.

I remember when finishing this, that I immediately thought "My mom has to read this, my neighbor has to read this, EVERYONE has to read this."

If you're looking for a good psychological thriller, you've found the right book.

5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
The most fun I've had with fiction this year. ( )
  padlrdie | Jun 29, 2015 |
Loved this book. Fast reading. Same old story with a different twist. ( )
  mootzymom | Jun 29, 2015 |
I have mixed emotions about Gone Girl. Warning, there will be spoilers. Before deciding to buy the book I read how people either really loved it or really hated, didn't see anything with pros and cons, just either or. The book kept popping up randomly for me so it was like alright I'll read it. I hated it in the beginning. New York couple that are the stereotype of a new york couple, Amy an annoying I'm a modern woman who is above all the regular wifey shit got on my damn nerves (this was before I knew...) Nick, a writer. Better get ready for the cliches and annoying similes and metaphors (THERE WERE TONS). And of course many red herrings and constant stream of characters being accused of doing something to Amy. I must say this was getting old, i wasn't even half way through the book and I was dreading the next half if it was going to be more of the same. I didn't particularly like any of the characters or give a shit what happened to them. It all changed when part 2 began. The Amy the reader got to know in the first part was a fake! Thank god right? No one can be that annoying and stupid about relationships. I still can't tell if the author was so good that he made fake diary Amy kinda off and strange, or he was so bad at trying to make her likable. My mind was blown. Sure I thought there was a good chance to she ran off on her own and made it look like someone took her (I'll admit, I didn't think she was framing Nick, I didn't think twice to doubt their version of the weirdos in her life in the past, I was expecting the killer to be Nick's father, clearly wasn't Nick even though the fake diary when it seemed real would point otherwise), but to actually frame him. This sparked my interest. This had me reading the book for hours straight. Sadly though, this part of the story also got drawn out too long. Everything that can go wrong went wrong for Nick's public image and plan on going to the cops. It always does when a author writes out the plan of the characters, something will go wrong where the plan can't happen. Fine. I liked how Nick tricked Amy, I like how the author was able to explain why Amy would fall for that, because in her mind who wouldn't want her. I absolutely hated and despise part 3. Amy comes back and tries to act like it was all coincidental at first? Nick lets go of his plan when he first sees her and confronts her even though she still has him by the balls? What the fuck? After everything that goes down, he actually forgets what she has done at times and falls in love with her again because they act like they are in love. She is so good that the police can't find any misstep, what about the obvious one that Nick mentioned at the station? How did she stab Desi if she was tied up? Such a sloppy ending to have only a few people question Amy's story and not connect all the coincidences at least to wonder why so many. The most annoying thing though is Nick's final attempt at a fuck you and freedom is a wash all because she has a hunch on what he is doing and happened to save sperm from him years ago before she even started this plan. Right.

I still enjoyed the book and it was a good read, it could of been better I was hoping for a much better ending than the one we got. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,959,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible