Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

Info:Phoenix (2013), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Crime fiction

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.

English (1,018)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,037)
I really liked this book. How it kept me reading, set me on false tracks and even now I've finished, still keeps me wondering how things will develop.
Like Nick & Amy are real people living in the neighbourhood or so.
Well done!

Also watched the movie. It is a good one, but I still like the book better. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 27, 2016 |
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

The date of Nick Dunne's 5th Anniversary came and went, with no sign of his wife Amy Dunne, besides an overturned living room. Under increasing pressure from the public eye, Nick is railroaded as a vicious killer, and his socially incongruous actions leave much to be desired. But where do the clues Amy left for their Anniversary scavenger hunt lead?

This book is going down on my list as one of the most repulsive, addictive novels that I have read. I will warn anybody who is squeamish about some violence, sex, and psychopathic tendencies that this is a book that holds nothing back in those areas. If you have seen the movie, you only saw a fraction of the actual book. If you haven’t seen the movie, I suggest reading this before and experiencing the real Gone Girl experience.

The hardest part of reviewing this novel is not giving away the big twist that makes the book so great. I'll be honest, the first part, before the twist, is longer than I’d hoped and doesn’t sit right in terms of writing. The chapters are more like diary entries and snippets that switch between characters. Something just seems wrong when you see some of the characters involved. Flynn does a good job of making the reader question reality, but the process is definitely labored by the end. Nick falls pretty flat, and Amy even flatter. You will find yourself wanting to yell at Nick for doing things in a stupid way, and not thinking about what he has to do to protect himself. Then you will yell at Ann and wonder how things ever escalated, while starting to believe the public opinion of Nick. I have to tip my hat to Flynn for being able to manipulate my emotions and viewpoints in something as short as a chapter. If Flynn had cut down on the content before the twist, I would definitely have given this a five-star rating.

After the twist, the writing gets a lot better. Flynn makes sociopaths amazing to read; to see the thought process of someone who has a mind that truly only sees the self as important and everything else is just asking. There are no redeemable qualities because there is nothing more than the self. Flynn makes the characters easy to hate, easy to lose, only to realize that there is no true escape from someone like that, because they attract a certain kind of person. This is a book that you want to put down and shake off, but at the same time you just can’t wait to see what will happen next, because you never really know.

This is the first book in a long time that I had to sit and really process what happened at the last page, then stop myself from throwing my Kindle across the room because I couldn’t handle where it ended. If you like psychological thrillers, the ones that are fiction but still very much rooted in the nitty-gritty reality of crazy people, this is the novel for you. ( )
  FictionForesight | Apr 26, 2016 |
The book is so suspenseful that I didn't bring it down for the half part of the book it has a lot of twist and kept you questioning a lot of things though it kept me hanging on the last part of the book all in all I can say what matters is actually the novel itself and how it was well written the ending is just a consolation. Still this book gave me thrills and was very entertaining reading a suspenseful novel. Great book ( )
  Maddison18 | Apr 23, 2016 |
Meta-noir.
This is a perfect summer read.
The twists and turns had me snorting, occasionally gasping coz I so did not see THAT one coming, and always wondering what the hell was going on. Some of the characters were deliciously nasty, and the bitter dissection of a marriage was laser-sharp. It's a funny and often scathing commentary on marriage, self-delusions, romanticism, consumerism, Nancy-Grace-land, urban vs suburban. Oh it gets so dark, yet still I kept grinning and smirking through the whole book.
Advice: do NOT look at the table of contents, don't look ahead. Squint your eyes as you go past those spoilers. Enjoy the ride. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
Struggled through the first half. If I wasn't doing it for book club would not have finished. But second half is gripping and worth the slog. Great discussion at book club about it ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible