Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

11,7021083226 (3.86)4 / 893
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Phoenix (2013), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Fiction, Crime fiction

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Recently added byxtwinni, Schmerguls, private library, Jianna2, CandaJaen, sa206, afreddy4, DAJACOBS, Labrose, snj5064
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)

English (1,062)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,081)
so much hype and it was worth it; glad i remained unspoiled all these years of procrastination on my part. what fucked up characters and what an excellently written psychopath - seriously though, one for the books. ( )
  xtwinni | Oct 28, 2016 |
Gone Girl A Novel by Gillian Flynn (read 26 Oct 2016) This is a much-hyped 'thriller' published in 2012 which is often suggested to me by "What should you borrow?" so I thought I would read it. It starts out very attention-grabbing as Nick Dunne's wife Amy is gone from the marital home on the fifth anniversary of their marriage. The story is told in alternate first person chapters, Amy's being from a diary and Nick's from the events following the disappearance and much casting suspicion on Nick. Subsequent parts of teh story follow the same alternate first person accounts of events after the disappearance, and the book seemed to me to drag at times and became not very credible. So I did not find the book as absorbing as it seemed to be in the foreapart of the book. But it reads well and is not uninteresting. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Oct 26, 2016 |
I both love and hate this book. I couldn't put it down, but I also found it incredibly disturbing. I think I need some Jane Austen now. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
I almost didn't finish this book. I had high hopes since it was on the best seller list, but I found myself disappointed. I follow a 50-page rule and after 50 pages, I still wasn't hooked on the book. First of all, I didn't care about the characters. At the beginning, the characterization was flat and I thought the author should have developed them better early on. Second, I found the alternating POV very distracting and made the suspense drag. I kept reading because I still wanted to know what happened. it finally got some momentum for a while, but the ending was a disappointment. it was one of those hum-drum endings that made you wonder why you even bothered to read it. i gave it three stars because of the moments it actually kept my interest and I've read worse. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I planned on reviewing this book soon after reading it, as per usual, but I couldn't figure out what to say. Part of me would like to revisit Gone Girl at some point, see if I can figure out why so many have raved/continue to rave about it. A larger part of me dreads the very thought.

Gone Girl had so much to it that I normally gravitate towards in novels. It billed a juicy twist, had multiple and possibly unreliable narrators, and a lot of readers talked about how savvy Flynn is in portraying character emotion. Awesome, right?

The juicy twist erred to the side of rancid rather than sweet for me. It was so drawn out that it felt like Flynn was simply throwing plot developments in for the hell of it from a Jerry-Springer-ish grab bag. I couldn't connect with the characters at all; I didn't need to identify with the protags as much as find them emotionally and mentally relevant - I never found that relevance. I don't want to blab any plot spoilers so I won't go into specifics. I do have to get this off my chest though- I found both protagonists to be intolerably insipid.

I did stick with the book so I'm responsible for my own frustration. I'd read Dark Places and kept hoping that I was wrong about the twist, that something would sneak up and utterly flatten my running perspective of the book. Didn't happen. While Dark Places wore on a bit in places as well, I would certainly recommend that book more readily than this.

All that being said, I probably would have initially rated this book as a 2 star read. I've grown so tired of new thrillers being billed as comparisons to this book, however, that distance has made the heart grow harder rather than fonder. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)
This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

"En un caluroso día de verano, Amy y Nick se disponen a celebrar su quinto aniversario de bodas en North Carthage, a orillas del río Mississippi. Pero Amy desaparece esa misma mañana sin dejar rastro. A medida que la investigación policial avanza, las sospechas recaen sobre Nick. Sin embargo, Nick insiste en su inocencia. Es cierto que se muestra extrañamente evasivo y frío, pero ¿es un asesino?"--Book cover.… (more)

4 1960

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,832,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible