Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

7,914784416 (3.87)3 / 691
Member:kiwifortyniner
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:***

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (764)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (778)
Since this thing doesn't support decimal scores I think I'll settle with a 5 as opposed to a 4. It does have a couple flaws but none of them are serious enough to topple the cool things this book does.

One of them might just be my own fault, for expecting more twists than there were. There is one infamous twist that is genuinely great, but asides from that it's fairly tame in that regard.

The other issue, and this is an issue I have with a lot of books, is the rigid structure of the story, mechanically switching between the protagonists every few pages. Often times I couldn't help but feel slightly pulled out of the action, having to rearrange a few mental gears so I could progress. I'm not sure how the book could be executed without this structure but I thought I should mention it as it was one of the few things that put a break on my enjoyment.

Overall I feel like it's a pretty great book that doesn't disappoint if you're looking for a good psychological thriller. ( )
  Kuroonehalf | Nov 22, 2014 |
Compelling and engrossing but ultimately disturbing and disheartening. Anyone looking for a feel-good resolution should look a bit further. ( )
  rwilliab | Nov 21, 2014 |
First, the negative. I thought the plot slid off the rails a bit at the end. Although it had a strong sense of inevitability, it was somewhat over the top and became repetitious in the last 30 pages or so. But that doesn't mean the ending dragged, it just wasn't as strong as the rest of the book.

That said, I loved this book and highly recommend it if you like psychological suspense. Why? 1) I could not put it down (took time off work to read, which I haven't done in a long time ... too long), 2) the writing is brilliant, 3) the characters leap off the page with life -- they are complex and hateful and completely understandable.

I've been a fan of Gillian Flynn since Sharp Objects, and Gone Girl did not let me down. ( )
  CathrynGrant | Nov 21, 2014 |
I had to slog my way through this book, and the only reason I continued reading it was because it had been lent by a friend who loved it and I wanted to be able to discuss it with her having read the whole work. But honestly, I hated it. Neither of the characters was relatable or likable on any level. And while I have an appreciation for unlikable characters, I have to find something that makes me empathize or understand them on some level. In this case, I mostly found myself wanting to kill both of them to put us all our of our misery.

I found myself frustrated with the unbelievability of the story, more and more so as it went on. It took me until the middle of the book to even be a tad bit interested in what was going to happen, and that disappeared almost as soon as it came as the web became more fantastical and unbelievable. I found myself more frustrated with these characters as the story went on and frustrated with the police, who just seemed way too stupid to be believable. With the advanced forensic techniques we have available today, there is no way this story could happen. And while I know fiction IS fiction, I expect an author to be able to convince me to suspend my disbelief enough to enter the story. This author failed in that, at least for me. If you want to read a book about two incredibly nasty, self-centered characters, who never really learn anything of value, read this book. If not, I'd pass on this one. I certainly wish I had. ( )
1 vote chicbanjo | Nov 20, 2014 |
I found this book extremely thought provoking. A story of a marriage, personality disorders, reaction, needs, desires, realities and everything that can challenge your ideas of what is acceptable or not.

I see this book as showing that; at first you feel for the wife, then the husband, which leads you to think of a conclusion that some marriages are merely acting which bind couples together through their own failings.

Flynn manages to make you feel that you like the characters, even when you dislike their behaviour.

An excellent read. ( )
1 vote greatbookescapes | Nov 20, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,989,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible