Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Gillian Flynn

10,4201000276 (3.86)4 / 850
Member:kiwifortyniner
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:***

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Recently added bysstorey09, GreenLightGirl, CydMelcher, private library, _amritasharma_, 4everfanatical
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)

English (978)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (997)
AMAZING!!! ( )
  GreenLightGirl | Feb 5, 2016 |
This book blew me away.

It is a story of one seriously messed up relationship.

I really liked Amy in the first half of the book, she was easy to like whereas Nick's character was left a little wanting.

In the second half of the book Amy underwent a massive character reversal and at first I wasn't sure that I liked her but towards the end of the book I thought she was brilliant.

The plot was well written and thought out, it literally had me guessing all the way through. I wanted to find out what happened next and thought of the book even when I wasn't reading it. That for me is a mark of a good book.

I can see why some people may be divided in opinion in regards to the ending of the book but for me it was fantastic. Its not in many stories that I've read where the bad female character wins in the end and the part of me that is a little feminist was really rooting for her and was satisfied by that ending.

After I had read the last page I wanted the story to go on! Great book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Ok, I was really surprised by how much I liked this book even though I really loathed pretty much every single character. Even for something really dark, it was really enjoyable. ( )
1 vote lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This was my post-Gulliver's Travels palate-cleanser read, and for this purpose, it worked just fine. It engaged me to the point that the night I started the book, I stayed up reading until almost 3:30 am. I stopped when I found---within pages of one another---two inaccuracies that I took rather personally in my addled middle-of-the-night state.

The first was the oft-repeated "the rape never went to trial because she dropped the charges." Maybe things are different in New York state, but in the two other states where I've learned about rape laws, this is not how it works. The plaintiff in a rape trial is the state, not the victim. The victim is a witness for the state. She/he can neither press charges nor drop charges, but merely reports the crime and provides physical evidence and testimony for the state against the defendant. The fact that the character who said this was an attorney especially annoyed me. Had it been a non-legal-type person, I could chalk it up to characterization. But since it's from the mouth of an authority, I can only assume it's Flynn's mistake.

The other inaccuracy came from a character who's not a professional in this particular field and so is a little easier for me to dismiss, but it still grates on me. The character uses a tourniquet on the character's arm (sorry for the awkward wording; I'm trying not to use gendered pronouns so as not to spoil any of the plot). I did some fairly rudimentary training as a first responder back in my 20's, and I remember being told that we should only place a tourniquet if the blood loss was bad enough that it was worth losing the limb. The paramedic who did our training explained that because a tourniquet is so effective at stopping blood flow, placing one is pretty much guaranteeing the death of the limb below the tourniquet. He taught us how to use pressure on the arteries at different pulse points to staunch blood flow without the risk of the death of the limb. As the character intended to retain the use of this limb and there's no evidence to suggest quick and significant blood loss, it would seem that a tourniquet wouldn't be a good choice in this situation.

And then there was the twice-repeated insistence that an early-term fetus was a boy or a girl, something you can't tell until nearly halfway through a pregnancy without genetic testing. This inaccuracy was probably the least annoying to me, though, because the character making the assertion of sex has no qualms about lying, so I could chalk it up to that.

Okay, so we've established that I take factual inaccuracies in literature pretty personally. But inaccuracies aside, this was a decent book. I'm not a huge fan of mysteries (especially ones that contain scenarios that are so air-tight no one can escape them...I just don't find this kind of thing plausible), so I appreciated that Flynn used the novel as an opportunity to comment on the nature of romantic relationships and especially marriage. She brings up some very interesting points about the acts we put on in the pursuit of love and acceptance and the feeling of belonging. Flynn addresses issues of vulnerability and plays out dramatically the reasons why we so often fear opening ourselves up even though vulnerability is crucial for any close relationship. She's essentially asked, "what's the worst that can happen if I let myself be vulnerable?" and then given us many examples of just what can happen when we trust one another (spoiler alert: they're largely not good things).

Flynn also addresses the issue of compromise in a marriage. I think it's fairly widely accepted that a harmonious relationship requires give and take, and Flynn takes this idea to an extreme. What is the nature of unconditional love? What are we willing to give up for the sake of harmony? When do our differences become irreconcilable?

And then there's what a marriage looks like from the outside compared to what it looks like from the inside. The private jokes we share and the little unspoken understandings that make up a close relationship sometimes look downright strange from the outside.

These commentaries about marriage were especially satisfying for me to read. I didn't expect this kind of insight from a murder mystery; it was a pleasant surprise. I would have preferred if there had been more growth from the characters, but it was a fun read nonetheless. ( )
1 vote ImperfectCJ | Feb 3, 2016 |
The first part was so haunting and brilliant. She captured all the subtle mind games between men and women. Parts two and three were not as relatable. I wish she had kept the authentic voice of the first part. ( )
1 vote seapetal | Feb 3, 2016 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,993,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible