Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

12,0001110216 (3.86)4 / 905
Member:KatherineGregg
Title:Gone Girl: A Novel
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:murder, sociopath

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)

English (1,089)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1,108)
I've gotta figure out where to begin in saying how I feel about this story. First off, I finished it a few days ago, and I'm still thinking about it all the time. . . ALL. THE. TIME. That is a major deal to someone who reads as much as I do. So many are forgotten immediately. I don't think I will EVER forget this book. I listened to the audio version on CD, and I really recommend it. They did an excellent job.

I'm the type of person that can usually figure out where the storyline is headed pretty easily. I knew this was a popular story, but I made sure to learn nothing about it before starting. My initial thought of what was going on as far as Amy's disappearance was correct, but the way the story is written, I was unable to fully commit to that idea. The author had me questioning my theory often.

Amy's journal lead me to believe she was crazy; yet, at the same time, I totally got a lot of what she was saying. Then when she really let loose, just wow. Her whole cool girl rant. . . wowza.Tampon commercial, detergent commercial, maxi pad commercial, windex commercial - you'd think all women do is clean and bleed.

And Nick, he was so socially awkward he didn't help himself at all. His thoughts were so out there; yet, again, I totally got them.Like a child, I picture opening her skull, unspooling her brain and sifting through it, trying to catch and pin down her thoughts.

When the truth was revealed about what actually happened with the disappearance of Amy, I was not expecting things to go the way that they did. A certain character in this book goes above and beyond in the genius psychopath role. I'm in awww, amazed and repulsed. The character is like a hero and a villain rolled into one.

I love psychology whether it's seeing the disorders within a story or it being used on me, the reader. This book has both. I will definitely be reading more from this author.

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2015/03/gone-girl-by-gillian-fly... ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

1 vote ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Did not live up to the hype, but okay. ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
Holy fucking shit, this book is fucking awesome! I haven't felt my mind so fucked with in so long and just holy shit! I mean fucking seriously, I was so enthralled and disturbed by this book I could barely fucking stand it, but I could not stop fucking reading! If you haven't read this yet, you need to right fucking now, and get ready for some emotional Dub Step! ( )
  Birdo82 | Jan 15, 2017 |
I don't know what to rate this book....I hated these characters more than any other characters I've ever read about, yet I was pulled into the story and couldn't stop reading. If I can ever decide, I'll rate it then. I will say this: I won't watch the film version cuz I can't live through watching these horrid characters on screen. Just no.....
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

"En un caluroso día de verano, Amy y Nick se disponen a celebrar su quinto aniversario de bodas en North Carthage, a orillas del río Mississippi. Pero Amy desaparece esa misma mañana sin dejar rastro. A medida que la investigación policial avanza, las sospechas recaen sobre Nick. Sin embargo, Nick insiste en su inocencia. Es cierto que se muestra extrañamente evasivo y frío, pero ¿es un asesino?"--Book cover.… (more)

4 2007

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,778,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible