Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

11,4751075234 (3.86)4 / 883
Member:KatherineGregg
Title:Gone Girl: A Novel
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:murder, sociopath

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Recently added byemilyesears, twelton, sarabrookes, private library, book_cat9, wdshep2, readraw, richorlin, swade79
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.

English (1,054)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,073)
It was weird and I didn't really like any of the characters. I felt sorry at the ending--wasn't worth 500 pages really. ( )
  emilyesears | Aug 29, 2016 |
Holy cow this gal can write the hell out of a book! Brilliant use of the English language:"I'd know her head anywhere. And what's inside it. I think of that too: her mind. Her brain, all those coils, and her thoughts shuttling through those coils like fast, frantic centipedes. Like a child, I picture opening her skull, unspooling her brain and sifting through it, trying to catch and pin down her thoughts." This is from one of the opening paragraphs in this book and it takes off like a shot from there. I struggle to not attach any cliches to this book such as "thrilling page turner" or "roller coaster ride". Flynn writes without cliche but with mind-bending precision. This book is the equivalent of watching a master chess match. I usually only give 5 stars to books that I have taken a life lesson away from or that have moved me in a way that I am irretrievably altered but the writing in this book was so simply superior that I have no choice but to give into the fact that my hair was blown back and my mind was shattered by the utter brilliance of this book. Fantastically smart and unbelievably original. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
The most ridiculously entertaining book I've read this year. I don't know if I love it, but it's a very fun read: two unreliable narrators, layers upon layers of disturbing revelations, and the most twisted, most vindictive, most memorable villain in a long time.

doryfish | Aug 15, 2016 |
It was one of the good reads, yet not one of the best. The story is good and characters too. From the beggining, it was pleasure for me to be reading it, but after some hundred pages, I felt like it was a chore for me to read it. Like it is school assignment. The story just faded away somehow and I got bored. The catch that his wife was framing his husband and that the husband had a mistress, it wasn't something I liked. It would be better if woman was really kidnapped or something and that they were really trying to get her back. But anyway, I'll give this book 3 stars because the beggining was really great. ( )
  bookwormalien | Aug 4, 2016 |
i'm going to have nightmares ( )
  Ahtoosa | Aug 3, 2016 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

"En un caluroso día de verano, Amy y Nick se disponen a celebrar su quinto aniversario de bodas en North Carthage, a orillas del río Mississippi. Pero Amy desaparece esa misma mañana sin dejar rastro. A medida que la investigación policial avanza, las sospechas recaen sobre Nick. Sin embargo, Nick insiste en su inocencia. Es cierto que se muestra extrañamente evasivo y frío, pero ¿es un asesino?"--Book cover.… (more)

4 1937

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,462,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible