Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

6,913686525 (3.87)3 / 618
Member:KatherineGregg
Title:Gone Girl: A Novel
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:murder, sociopath

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

2012 (146) 2013 (140) 2014 (32) American (36) audiobook (37) book club (47) contemporary (33) crime (126) crime fiction (29) ebook (102) fiction (660) Kindle (96) marriage (265) missing persons (110) Missouri (149) murder (104) mystery (503) novel (51) psychological thriller (96) read (88) read in 2012 (86) read in 2013 (95) relationships (69) revenge (29) sociopath (65) suspense (176) thriller (332) to-read (266) unreliable narrator (54) USA (30)
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)

English (673)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (685)
There is a Maddie Crum article in The Huffingtonpost entitled 8 Popular Books With Deeply Disappointing Endings. Gone Girl is one of the titles she listed. I was halfway through the novel when I noticed the piece, so I didn’t read it at the time. Now that I’ve finished the book I’ve gone back to see if I agree with Crum’s premise. She has a primary reason why she doesn't like the ending and a different reason, just as strong, why she does. So, without mentioning what those arguments are, I will say I agree with her detail, but I don’t agree with her putting the book on her list. There were times when I was reading the ending that I felt like yelling “Please stop this!” because a number of conclusions were reached and after each one, the plot would keep on going. But the final choice was brilliant. I’ve read elsewhere that Gillian Flynn intends to “tweak” the ending for the movie. It will be interesting to see what she does. The nature of translating a book to the screen forces the story to be shortened, so I think my complaint will be handled automatically. I worry about other changes.

I’m rating Gone Girl as a five star book, despite some aspects I didn’t like. I already mentioned how long the ending seemed. I thought some of the foul language was indulgent and sometimes given to characters I didn’t feel would use it. And there were many moments when characters knew things they couldn't possibly know and other times when they reacted in ways I found hard to believe.

But the story is incredibly intense (Amy’s parents would say amazingly intense) and unique. The way Flynn takes two despicable characters, mixes in tremendous lies, and still has me sympathizing with them both is simply great. There is truth about relationships in this book. It’s exaggerated, twisted, ignored at times and lied about at other times, but it is still truth and for that reason I care about Nick and Amy even as I feel their hatred and frustration.

I picked an excellent time to read Gone Girl because the film is due out in October. I can’t wait to see it.

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul and White Horse Regressions ( )
  SteveLindahl | Jul 19, 2014 |
I'm no literary critic and understand there are nuances to writing today that are beyond my knowledge however I'm growing tired of books that showcase the authors talent and lead the reader to nothing - truly nihilistic in the worst sense of the word. Authors like Flynn embody the inverted Pareto principle - the last 20% pretty of the story negates the first 80%. So I can take what I've learned and say yes I was compelled by the characters and the story was decent - 3 stars. But when I hear Flynn is now re-writing the ending for a movie version of the book I realize I can't help thinking Flynn, like many other authors rambled on with what should be a short story to make it an unfinished novel, is so enamored with her own abilities that she doesn't feel compelled to give the reader anything more than her disjointed philosophical musings. She paints herself into a corner and then punts and the fact is she has myriad ways she could really close the story beyond the obvious (which I assume the movie will provide). In the end the book will fade quickly from my memory and I really don't give a rats ass about Nick or Amy or the continuing saga of Gone Girl. 2 stars for me. ( )
1 vote donwelty | Jul 15, 2014 |
  donwelty | Jul 15, 2014 |
Husband and wife, wife goes missing, plot twists, lies, murder, media.

This was a quick read. I wasn't overly impressed with the writing and the plot twists were predictable but it was fun enough. The ending was underwhelming. Why three stars and not two? I like unlikable characters and it's a lot like watching a movie (no surprise their making it into one which). Good for someone with not a lot of time to get wrapped up in a book. I felt it had a YA layout but it's absolutely not YA. ( )
  Aubreyisnthere | Jul 14, 2014 |
What can I say about this book that hasn’t already been said? “Nothing” is probably best.
I went into this already knowing—or guessing—some of the story, and that really deflated the suspense for me.

I admit Flynn is skilled in conveying how evil can come in Amy’s pretty package, but I didn’t get the sense of wickedness in Nick that others seem to have found.

Read this if: You’d like a character-driven thriller; or if you’re going to see the movie – you should always read the book first! 3½ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Jul 12, 2014 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible