Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

8,606848354 (3.87)4 / 758
Member:KatherineGregg
Title:Gone Girl: A Novel
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:murder, sociopath

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl on the Train: A Novel by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.

English (823)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (839)
Well to be precise this is not a nice story for starters but it is really psycho.To be quoting from book that psycho bitch controls every stuff around her and ends in a relationship with her husband who she plays like a puppet with all her simple threats and his dire need for a family.
To start with such a statement is really horrible while writing a review,but it something that is spontaneous and I don't think that is supposed to avoided.
The book is really great.One of the best I would say, what a girl does to get what she want and how far she would go to make that happen, is expressed with such a sickening reality it seems quite natural for an intelligent women of her(Amy) standard, and that is what makes it more than a paper back fiction it is really how intelligent a boring house wife can get. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
It was an interesting ride. The author does a great job of setting up the kick. You bounce from side to side until you learn everything and even then you aren't sure about how you feel about it. ( )
1 vote adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
At almost a quarter of the way in, there were a few ways this story could go, the way I saw it. I won't say what ways those are because this is a book definitely better enjoyed w/ no spoilers. But I looked up and said to my husband (who already knew how it all played out), if it turns out A, then it's the lamest book ever. If it turns out B, then it's kind of brilliant. If it turns out C or D (or, later, E), then ... it's pretty lame. But maybe it will be okay.

So. Flynn chose B... kind of brilliant ;)
So it's not altogether unpredictable, of course, but it's satisfying'ish. Ish, and that's where it loses a little. So, the first ... say quarter to third is a little slow and background'y and fine. Entertaining, but not amazing. Then the next major part of the book is great. I love the psychology Flynn explores and how the people go about their own terrible lives. Then the final bit... like the last 15-20% was a little anti-climactic. I feel like... maybe there were better options with how to deal with all that had happened. But it was fine. And a good, page-turning read for the weekend. :) Overall, FOUR of 5 stars.
(As for what the book's about... I'm sure the thousand other reviews on the book can fill you in ;)) ( )
  avanders | Feb 22, 2015 |
Hell hath no fury...and all that stereotypical junk. This book perfectly illustrated why people's masks freak me out while simultaneously affirmed how the question of whether we ever truly know anyone continues to nag at me.

Gone Girl was not earth-shattering nor life-changing. It delivered a plot explored many, many times before, both on page and on screen. BUT, and yes it's a but so big I had to all-cap it, Flynn crafted one of the better examples of unreliable narrators that I've read to date. I played right into her hand as if she was you-know-who and I was the other one.

Man, that first twist was telegraphed as clearly as a way-past-their-prime boxer's knockout punch, and yet I realized I had completely and 100% believed one over the other. Yep, Flynn knew just which buttons to press, and I reacted just like she planned. Because. I did expect the first two sentences on page 219, but I had underestimated Flynn and how far she would take it. Good times. I was a little miffed by the ending, not because it was a big mind-effer, but because it gradually became obvious it was gonna end that way.

I won't read Gone Girl again yet I would recommend it to fans of thrillers with a fair amount of WTF moments. And I will read another book by Flynn when I'm in the mood for another thriller.

3.5 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Feb 22, 2015 |
This book was a let down for me. I was expected an exciting can't put down book. I found it blah and predictable. I suspect I am the only one.

If I compared this book to a candy, it would be a tootsie roll pop without the tootsie roll center. I was expecting a sweet chewy chocolate ending, and got nothing. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
...Gillian Flynn’s latest novel of psychological suspense will confound anyone trying to keep up with her quicksilver mind and diabolical rules of play. Not that there’s anything underhanded about her intentions: she promises to deliver an account of the troubled marriage of Nick and Amy Dunne, who alternate as narrators, and so she does. The trickery is in the devilish way she tells their story.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 15, 2012)

Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,757,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible