Sacrificial Magic by Stacia Kane

Sacrificial Magic (edition 2012)

by Stacia Kane

Rating:****1/2
Tags:read 2012, fantasy

Sacrificial Magic by Stacia Kane

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The fourth installment in Stacia Kane’s Downside Ghosts series felt like a major stepping stone for Chess. Putnam and I didn’t exactly hit it off in the earlier books; I struggled to find the “heroine” in this drug addicted protagonist which has made her journey up to this point all the more impressive. The last novel was my favourite so far but Sacrificial Magic surpassed it in one area; it changed my view of Putnam’s potential for happiness. Chess makes some incredibly difficult decisions in this installment and realizes that the trust issues that exist in her and Terrible’s relationship are hers, not his. I was awed by how much her character grows in this book; now I find myself rooting for her and actually optimistic about the possibility of a happily-ever-after (just not TOO soon as I’d like Kane to write a few more novels first!).

So far, my favourite plot lines in this series have revolved around the tension between the two sides of Downside and in Sacrificial Magic we get exactly that. Chess must investigate a haunting on Slobag’s side of town which in turn leads to an attempt on Putnam’s life and an all-out turf war. Can you believe that this is actually just an average day of the job for this church witch? The result is an emotionally charged, action-packed story that doesn’t quit until the very last page. Kane’s talent for writing intricate investigations with multiple plot threads is out in full force in this installment and I found myself enjoying the detective work almost as much as the scenes with Terrible. Almost.

Bahni Turpin’s performance as the narrator is once again without compare; she switches between characters with ease and her tone is always dead-on. She does a brilliant job of portraying each individual’s emotional state and, handles Chess’ frequent highs and lows with ease. Every time I listen to one of these audiobooks I can’t help but be amazed by Turpin’s proficiency with the unique lingo that this series is renowned for. Her voice has become an integral part of my Downside Ghosts reading experience and has forever replaced the one inside my head.

Tension runs high between Chess and Terrible in the first half of this novel which spawns a rather intense argument between these two lovebirds. I was glued to my earbuds during their showdown; it was just so heartbreaking that I felt like I died a little inside after listening to it. Luckily, their make-up session is equally as powerful which means that I cried not once, but twice during this 14 hour experience. I just hope that Terrible and Chess have reached a point in their relationship where they’re finally going to be more “on” than “off” because I’m beginning to get a little frustrated (and drained) by all of the drama. I NEED for them to be a united front for at least one full installment.

Sacrificial Magic provides readers with some closure while simultaneously adding new questions to the already large unanswered pile. I can’t help but worry about what the future might hold for Chess but one thing is for certain; I will be there to find out! Needless to say, Stacia Kane has earned a spot on my auto-buy list! ( )
  RabidReads | Nov 8, 2013 |
I found this hard to read, way more difficult that the other books in the series. It didn't really grab me till about half way through. Maybe needed more direction and have a tighter plot? Just felt a bit waffly and meandered. I didn't feel like the characters advanced a great deal. Not sure I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |
3.5 stars.

Not as good as City of Ghosts, the plot was a little scattered not very well fleshed out, but Chess and Terrible... oh they were brilliant. Still, I'm ready for Chess to change now. :) ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
re-read
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
I love this series and it just keeps getting better and better. We get to see a alot of Terrible (yay!!!) and we sti have Lex. We also see Bump (who has the best Downside speak, in my opinion). I can't wait for [b:Chasing Magic|12084655|Chasing Magic|Stacia Kane|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327882832s/12084655.jpg|17052700], at least it is not as long of a wait. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |

When Chess Putnam is ordered by an infamous crime bosswho also happens to be her drug dealerto use her powers as a witch to solve a grisly murder involving dark magic, she knows she must rise to the challenge. Adding to the intensity: Chesss boyfriend, Terrible, doesnt trust her, and Lex, the son of a rival crime lord, is trying to reignite the sparks between him and Chess. Plus theres the little matter of Chesss real job as a ghost hunter for the Church of Real Truth, investigating reports of a haunting at a school in the heart of Downside. Someone seems to be taking a crash course in summoning the deadand if Chess doesnt watch her back, she may soon be joining their ranks. As Chess is drawn into a shadowy world of twisted secrets and dark violence, it soon becomes clear that shes not going to emerge from its depths without making the ultimate sacrifice.… (more)

Stacia Kane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

66 wanted2 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sacrificial Magic by Stacia Kane was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible