Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations) by…

Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations) (edition 2011)

by Michael J. Sullivan

Member:raekevins
Title:Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 704 pages
Rating:***

Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan

I don't remember where I saw the recommendation to read this book, but I am glad I saw it! Never since the Drangonlance Chronicles had I had so much fun reading a fantasy story.

The good: The writing is simply excellent. Not too much descriptions, just enough, a very nice pace, nothing drags for too long, things move ahead nicely, likable characters, great interaction btw the 2 protagonists, loved it all. And the tone of the book is simply great. While reading this book I finally found out why I had read so few fantasy books in the last decade(after reading soooooo many all my life), turns out I got tired of all the dread and gloom that plague current fantasy books! This book goes back to the old tone and I love it!

I also very much like the structure of the books, where the author gets to tell us 2 standalone stories that are linked by a bigger overarching plot.

The bad: Nothing bad really, but it's true that it's light sometimes. We never really feel the heroes are in real danger anywhere or are struggling to overcome a situation. They're having a good, and somewhat easy, time. But it's the first in a series, so maybe that gets corrected in subsequent books. I also wish the regular "party" would get larger than just the two of them. But that's my old D&D roots showing here :P

Can't wait to read the next in the series. ( )
  kinwolf | Jul 21, 2016 |
After reading Age of Myth a few weeks ago, I knew that I wanted to read more by this author and I was not at all disappointed by Theft of Swords. This is the first of a trilogy which actually started out as six books. Combining the first two books into a single volume resulted in a rather abrupt leap in time between parts one and two of this book, which I think could have been more seamlessly handled. Nevertheless, I thought this book was an excellent, well-written adventure story with a charming pair of protagonists and was told with humor. The author writes with a light touch.

In part one, thieves-for-hire Royce and Hadrian are sent on a mission to find a wizard in a 900 year old secret prison, accompanied by a shy monk and a cranky member of the royalty. In part two, Royce and Hadrian are hired to steal a sword from an impregnable tower. This part of the book had a little too much politics for my taste and took a little too long for the several threads of the story to come together. Overall, however, I thought the book was very entertaining, with interesting characters, magic, mythical creatures, dwarves, elves and puzzles that will be explored further in the next book.

I listened to the audiobook version of this book and I thought the narrator, Tim Gerard Reynolds, was excellent. I would actually like him to narrate every book I listen to from now on. ( )
  fhudnell | Jul 7, 2016 |
Enjoyable fantasy with a mid earth feel. Yes I'll read the next one. Lots of things still unexplained, good character depth. Good writing. Not as surprising as Game of Thrones, not as high fantasy as Lord of the Rings. Good narrator. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
A comical and exciting adventure! I loved these books! ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 8, 2016 |
I think I would like to start with a damn, damn that I do not have book 2 ready. It was not like it ended with a cliffie, now, it was just that I need to freaking know!It is just the kind of fantasy I like. Quests, kingdoms, baddies and a great cast.

Our “heroes” are Royce, a thief and Hadrian, a mercenary. Together they form the band Riyria, and steal their way through life. The chemistry between these two is just great; you can feel that they have been friends for a very long time. They are also so funny together, one wanting one thing, the other one another thing, but they are friends and the trust each other (even if the other one has a stupid plan for instance.) That is truly what is good about this book Royce and Hadrian.

And once more, I just do not feel I can do it justice. It started off ok, then it got better, then it got even better, and I was hooked, and even though I was nowhere near the end I lamented the fact that I did not have book 2 ready (getting it for xmas). The books grabs hold of you and won’t let go. And you do not want it to let go either.

I could say a lot of things, of the banter between them, of the two quests they had, of Myron the monk they met, but I will just say that it had a solid plot. It was originally a 6 book series, and now it is a 3 book series. So this book is about 2 things, but they are connected since everything will lead up to one thing in the end. The world is looking for someone, and then we have an evil church too (they always make good baddies.)

So yes just read it. I am SO glad Melissa got me to read this book because it was well worth it. My review may not amount to much since my mind is all “want book2!”. But in the end that is all you need to know, it made me want book 2, and I that book is as good as ordered already. I can’t wait to read more. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Robin, my partner in life and in the adventure of making this series, whose hard work and dedication made it all possible.

To my daughter Sarah, who would not read the story until it was published.

To Steve Gilllick for his feedback, and Pete DeBrule, who started this whole thing

And to the members of Dragonchow, my original fan club
Hadrian could see little in the darkness, but he could hear them -- the sanpping of twigs, the crush of leaves, and the brush of grass.
Includes The Crown Conspiracy (first published Oct. 1, 2008) and Avempartha (first published Mar 31, 2009).

Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles-until they are hired to pilfer a famed sword. What appears to be just a simple job finds them framed for the murder of the king and trapped in a conspiracy that uncovers a plot far greater than the mere overthrow of a tiny kingdom.

Can a self-serving thief and an idealistic swordsman survive long enough to unravel the first part of an ancient mystery that has toppled kings and destroyed empires?

And so begins the first tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend.

They killed the king. They pinned it on two men. They chose poorly.
There's no ancient evil to defeat or orphan destined for greatness, just unlikely heroes and classic adventure. Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, are running for their lives when they're framed for the death of the king. Trapped in a conspiracy that goes beyond the overthrow of a tiny kingdom, their only hope is unraveling an ancient mystery before it's too late.

When author Michael J. Sullivan self-published the first books of his Riyria Revelations, they rapidly became ebook bestsellers. Now, Orbit is pleased to present the complete series for the first time in bookstores everywhere.

BOOKS IN THE RIYRIA REVELATIONS
Theft of Swords (contains: The Crown Conspiracy Avempartha)Rise of Empire   (contains: Nyphron Rising & The Emerald Storm)Heir of Novron   (contains: Wintertide Percepliquis)
BOOKS IN THE RIYRIA CHRONICLES
The Crown Tower (coming Aug 2013)The Rose and the Thorn (coming Sep 2013)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:38 -0400)

"Two thieves in the wrong place at the wrong time are on the run in this fact-paced adventure fantasy"--Provided by publisher.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,484,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible