Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations) by…

Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations) (edition 2011)

by Michael J. Sullivan

Member:raekevins
Title:Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 704 pages
Rating:***

Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan

Recently added bybob12, private library, martinb1, LukeHerson, jenuhhcide, coutlaw, Adilinaria, christina_reads

The Riyria Revelations was originally self-published as six novels. When Orbit bought the rights, they released the books in three volumes, each containing two books. THEFT OF SWORDS is the first of these, combining the first two books THE CROWN CONSPIRACY and AVEMPARTHA.

Royce, a cynical ex-assassin, and Hadrian, an idealistic master swordsman, call themselves Riyria. Riyria specializes in solving impossible problems for mostly rich people – stealing a lady’s private diary from a locked tower for her lover to save face, that sort of thing.

In THE CROWN CONSPIRACY, when they’re offered a huge amount of money for stealing a sword, they break their usual roles to take the job. Of course, it’s too good to be true and they end up being framed for the murder of the king. But this is Riyria, and the conspirators who framed them get far more than they bargained for. THE CROWN CONSPIRACY is a pretty standard fantasy story, it feels standalone, and probably would be if it didn’t introduce so many characters that are important later. There’s a spoiled prince, an independent princess, kidnappings, treachery, a mysterious wizard, and so on. The crisis is averted by the end, and Royce and Hadrian think nothing more of it.

AVEMPARTHA picks up a couple of years later, and (in case the title of the book didn’t make this obvious) once again involves Royce and Hadrian being hired to steal a sword. This time they’re hired by a poor peasant girl, Thrace, to retrieve the only weapon that can kill a magical creature plaguing her village from an impregnable elven fortress. To add to the mystery, Thrace was told how to find them by the mysterious wizard in the first book that Royce and Hadrian haven’t heard from in years. This book starts exploring the central mystery of the Riyria Revelations a lot more, and there’s more magic, evil plans, and so on, but not everything is resolved by the end. It’s still mostly a satisfying standalone story, but there are threads left dangling. Characters from the first book – Arista, Mauvin, and Fanen, among others return, and they’re welcome.

If you haven’t already read this series and you’re a fan of cozy fantasy with some great twists, I recommend you pick it up! ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
This was a pleasant surprise to me when I purchased the Kindle version. Especially when it turned out to be two books, not just one.

Hadrian and Royce are thieves for hired. They are given a cockamamie story about how the king had stolen a sword from a member of court supposedly to make sure he won a duel. The member wanted to get the sword back to challenge him to a fair duel. When the two thieves enter the castle's room where the sword was hidden, they found the king assassinated with a knife in his back. They are discovered and arrested. The princess offers them escape as long as they take her brother with them to a hidden prison which has only one prisoner, a wizard. Action ensues.

I really enjoyed getting to know the two thieves. I picture Hadrian as dashing, armed with not one, not two (like my Witcher), but three swords. Royce is more secretive and stealthy but a perfect pairing. I will definitely look forward to more of their adventures. ( )
  mamzel | Nov 14, 2016 |
3.5 stars. Enjoyable and entertaining, but long and wordy. (This is technically 2 books in one binding, however, so the length can be forgiven.) Definitely going to look for the next in the series. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book was cute in the beginning, but it gave me a bit of a D&D feel which I'm not always into. I gave it a shot though and I'm glad I continued. It ended up being very enjoyable. I like the main characters and their banter and the adventure was fun.

EDIT: Though I enjoyed this story, I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with the series until I heard on of Michael J Sullivan's shorts in audio form. The narrator is FANTASTIC and he is the narrator for the rest of the series. This has swayed me and I plan to continue the series in audio form.
  JackDaniel42 | Aug 14, 2016 |
I don't remember where I saw the recommendation to read this book, but I am glad I saw it! Never since the Drangonlance Chronicles had I had so much fun reading a fantasy story.

The good: The writing is simply excellent. Not too much descriptions, just enough, a very nice pace, nothing drags for too long, things move ahead nicely, likable characters, great interaction btw the 2 protagonists, loved it all. And the tone of the book is simply great. While reading this book I finally found out why I had read so few fantasy books in the last decade(after reading soooooo many all my life), turns out I got tired of all the dread and gloom that plague current fantasy books! This book goes back to the old tone and I love it!

I also very much like the structure of the books, where the author gets to tell us 2 standalone stories that are linked by a bigger overarching plot.

The bad: Nothing bad really, but it's true that it's light sometimes. We never really feel the heroes are in real danger anywhere or are struggling to overcome a situation. They're having a good, and somewhat easy, time. But it's the first in a series, so maybe that gets corrected in subsequent books. I also wish the regular "party" would get larger than just the two of them. But that's my old D&D roots showing here :P

Can't wait to read the next in the series. ( )
  kinwolf | Jul 21, 2016 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Robin, my partner in life and in the adventure of making this series, whose hard work and dedication made it all possible.

To my daughter Sarah, who would not read the story until it was published.

To Steve Gilllick for his feedback, and Pete DeBrule, who started this whole thing

And to the members of Dragonchow, my original fan club
Hadrian could see little in the darkness, but he could hear them -- the sanpping of twigs, the crush of leaves, and the brush of grass.
Includes The Crown Conspiracy (first published Oct. 1, 2008) and Avempartha (first published Mar 31, 2009).

Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles-until they are hired to pilfer a famed sword. What appears to be just a simple job finds them framed for the murder of the king and trapped in a conspiracy that uncovers a plot far greater than the mere overthrow of a tiny kingdom.

Can a self-serving thief and an idealistic swordsman survive long enough to unravel the first part of an ancient mystery that has toppled kings and destroyed empires?

And so begins the first tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend.

They killed the king. They pinned it on two men. They chose poorly.
There's no ancient evil to defeat or orphan destined for greatness, just unlikely heroes and classic adventure. Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, are running for their lives when they're framed for the death of the king. Trapped in a conspiracy that goes beyond the overthrow of a tiny kingdom, their only hope is unraveling an ancient mystery before it's too late.

When author Michael J. Sullivan self-published the first books of his Riyria Revelations, they rapidly became ebook bestsellers. Now, Orbit is pleased to present the complete series for the first time in bookstores everywhere.

BOOKS IN THE RIYRIA REVELATIONS
Theft of Swords (contains: The Crown Conspiracy Avempartha)Rise of Empire   (contains: Nyphron Rising & The Emerald Storm)Heir of Novron   (contains: Wintertide Percepliquis)
BOOKS IN THE RIYRIA CHRONICLES
The Crown Tower (coming Aug 2013)The Rose and the Thorn (coming Sep 2013)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:38 -0400)

"Two thieves in the wrong place at the wrong time are on the run in this fact-paced adventure fantasy"--Provided by publisher.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Michael J. Sullivan's book Theft of Swords was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,468,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible