Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations) by…

Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations) (edition 2011)

by Michael J. Sullivan

Member:raekevins
Title:Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 704 pages
Rating:***

Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan

Really quite extraordinary. No farm folk orphan with a destiny here, just two thieves and a magically retarded wizard with no hands. Brilliant! I have already started the next omnibus, ( )
  amusing.nickname | May 19, 2014 |
Very solid start to the series. The story moves well and the good-cop/good-cop vibe between the co-protagonists feels as much like a buddy movie as a fantasy novel. I will definitely continue with this series. ( )
  Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
This was a fantastic adventure quest. I am going to review the entire series because I devoured them so quickly that I don't think I could write a separate review for each one. Each book contains two stories for a total of six in the whole arc. I was initially drawn into the story by how much I enjoyed the characters. Hadrian and Royce, a team of for hire mercenaries, are the best at what they do. Part of what makes them so good, is that they are completely different people with opposite skill sets and this leads to lots of fun banter between them. They were an intriguing blend of tarnished and honorable. The first story, Crown Conspiracy, was a lot of fun and mostly stand alone and I was completely hooked. By the second and third books there were hints of a larger plot that I was dying to find out more about. Each book has an individual plot, some of which were more entertaining than others. I loved getting to know the characters backstories as the series progressed, but it was balanced so nicely with the plot that it didn’t bog down the story. There are some gritty/gruesome, aspects to the books, especially as we learn more about Royce, which may not work for the squeamish. The whole world was well thought out and beautifully complex, without boring info dumps. As a whole this is one of the best epic fantasy series I have read in a long time. ( )
  readr | Apr 16, 2014 |
As so many other reviews of this book have proved time and time again, excellent read. I apparently have lived under a rock since I had not heard of this series before. I only wish I can recall who suggested I read this book...anyway, thanks to whom ever you are!

Royce and Hadrian are hired thieves and assassins. Known for doing jobs that are deemed impossible, these two cohorts work excellent together. Hadrian is more soft hearted and willing to do more for less pay. While Royce is more stand-offish and rigid. Hadrian is always getting them into fixes with the type of jobs he jumps at, leaving Royce to pick up the pieces and pull them through the rough patches.

The banter between these two make the book so real. They not only fight with each other of issues, as close friends do. But they also are always picking on one another whenever possible. You can tell that the there is something more deeper than friendship with these two. They actually need each other to survive. They are always there to watch the other's back. They are the perfect fantasy duo.

Theft of Swords is so well written. You get wrapped up in the world of deciet in the church, murder of a beloved King, the wizard who you just aren't sure is good or bad, the children of the fallen king and the quest to save humanity. This book was so gripping, that I honestly didn't want to put it down.

This is one thing that I have issues with about reading a series book. You get so wrapped up in the characters, that when you finish the intro book, you are dying to read the second installment. My only problem is I desperatly want to know who the heir is...I have my suspisions! ( )
  cbilbo | Jan 29, 2014 |
This was an impulse buy, a handwritten recommendation from the book store staff sold me on it. No regrets there, this is a fun read. The cod Early English of Esrahaddon is a major distraction because the author gets the grammar totally wrong, but thankfully we don't have to suffer it for very long, the character conveniently adjusts his manner of speaking to his contemporaries. The world he creates doesn't really come alive, but his heroes are very engaging. I certainly want to find out what they're up to next. ( )
  MissWatson | Oct 28, 2013 |
To my wife, Robin, my partner in life and in the adventure of making this series, whose hard work and dedication made it all possible.

To my daughter Sarah, who would not read the story until it was published.

To Steve Gilllick for his feedback, and Pete DeBrule, who started this whole thing

And to the members of Dragonchow, my original fan club
Hadrian could see little in the darkness, but he could hear them -- the sanpping of twigs, the crush of leaves, and the brush of grass.
Includes The Crown Conspiracy (first published Oct. 1, 2008) and Avempartha (first published Mar 31, 2009).

Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles-until they are hired to pilfer a famed sword. What appears to be just a simple job finds them framed for the murder of the king and trapped in a conspiracy that uncovers a plot far greater than the mere overthrow of a tiny kingdom.

Can a self-serving thief and an idealistic swordsman survive long enough to unravel the first part of an ancient mystery that has toppled kings and destroyed empires?

And so begins the first tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend.

They killed the king. They pinned it on two men. They chose poorly.
There's no ancient evil to defeat or orphan destined for greatness, just unlikely heroes and classic adventure. Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, are running for their lives when they're framed for the death of the king. Trapped in a conspiracy that goes beyond the overthrow of a tiny kingdom, their only hope is unraveling an ancient mystery before it's too late.

When author Michael J. Sullivan self-published the first books of his Riyria Revelations, they rapidly became ebook bestsellers. Now, Orbit is pleased to present the complete series for the first time in bookstores everywhere.

BOOKS IN THE RIYRIA REVELATIONS
Theft of Swords (contains: The Crown Conspiracy Avempartha)Rise of Empire   (contains: Nyphron Rising & The Emerald Storm)Heir of Novron   (contains: Wintertide Percepliquis)
BOOKS IN THE RIYRIA CHRONICLES
The Crown Tower (coming Aug 2013)The Rose and the Thorn (coming Sep 2013)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:49 -0400)

"Two thieves in the wrong place at the wrong time are on the run in this fact-paced adventure fantasy"--Provided by publisher.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

97 wanted2 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,260,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible