Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan
Recently added byLahkesis, UndeadWookiee, private library, Iceman76, Powerschnute, struttersix, JNedry, camon63, Sqeegie

The 3rd and 4th book in the series continue following Hadrian and Royce as they continue along there adventure. Each book is a separate and mostly finished tale that builds on the world and the greater plot that is developing. They are fun books. The characters are enjoying, the plot is engaging, and they are easy, fast reads. The writing has improved a lot from the first book in the series, but still sometimes misses the mark. If you enjoyed the 1st omnibus, you will likely like this book even more. ( )
  renbedell | Feb 2, 2019 |
I really enjoy Royce and Hadrian as characters and their relationship is beautiful. They're fun and their adventures are entertaining. These books aren't deep (or maybe just not yet?), the prose isn't beautiful (just crisp and clean!) and the stories aren't mind blowing but I was thoroughly entertained. And that was exactly what I was looking for!

If you read the first book in the series and liked it, you can't go wrong picking this one up. If you're into adventure stories and haven't read anything by Sullivan yet, go ahead, these books are great fun. ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 29, 2018 |
When we last left off our heroes we perhaps had some peace and quiet with hints of perhaps trouble on the horizon. When we enter here it appears that it's more: war is on the horizon. Here in this middle entry we see a young woman being used as a figurehead for nobles in power, another falling from royalty (relatively in a willing manner) to grow as a character plus find out a bit more about our protagonists Royce and Hadrian, who I thought seemed curiously "blank" as not very fleshed out in the first omnibus.

There is reason for that and I continued to enjoy the adventures of the Riyria. We've got palace intrigue, swashbuckling (seriously) plus old friends and fiends making appearances and the inevitable death and murder and war.

As you can see, I still liked it a lot. I think the book still suffers a bit regarding the middle book syndrome and sometimes it felt like filler. Not a big fan of battles and fights and I thought there was a bit more of that here. Some of it is necessary for the story but it's not something I care for. There are some descriptions of death and violence and discussions of rape so while this isn't super bloody or gore or detailed it's definitely here. There is a character who is suicidal (it seems) or at least seems to fantasize quite a bit about it. Just as a heads up.

Overall, though, I'd still recommend it and am glad I can actually agree with the average Goodreads and Amazon ratings. I'm off to finish the final entry to see how it all ties together. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
4.5/5 stars. gah! such a good book(s)! the writing was excellent and fast-paced, the character growth and development was on point and I loved every minute of this book! I flew through this book and cannot wait to pick up heir of novron :) ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
RISE OF EMPIRE is the second volume of the Riyria Revelations, containing the third and fourth books of the series, NYPHRON RISING and THE EMERALD STORM.

In NYPHRON RISING, the Church of Nyphron has finally implemented its centuries-old plan to unite most of the kingdoms of Avryn into an empire under newly crowned emperor Modina. However, Melengar and the Nationalists from Delgos remain thorns in the new empire’s side, and Prince Alric and Princess Arista are determined to keep the resistance alive. As the official royal protectors, Royce and Hadrian are crucial to the war effort. This is definitely a war book, although it doesn’t focus too much on the battles, it’s about war and its effects. I used to think that Arista was an annoying character, but upon rereading this, I actually really like her. She’s naive at first, but she grows and comes into her own in this book, and she’s probably one of my favorite characters.

THE EMERALD STORM is probably the most depressing of the books, it’s the part in the series where everything goes wrong and our heroes seem like they have no chance of winning. If this was a trilogy, this would be the second book. The tone of Royce and Hadrian’s story is more like an adventure novel, a lot of it is set on a ship, and there’s a mission into barbarian jungles. I don’t find ships particularly interesting, so I was glad that despite being named after the ship, the book had a significant portion of time off the ship. I wasn’t a big fan of the warlord and goblin plotline, I felt like they were reduced to stock “evil” characters in a series that usually focuses more on individuals and not their race. I probably enjoyed Arista’s story the most, she realizes that the war may not be the most important thing going on, and changes her plans. ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The birth of the Nyphron Empire has brought war to Melengar. To save her kingdom, Princess Arista runs a desperate gamble when she defies her brother and hires Royce and Hadrian to perform a dangerous mission behind enemy lines"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible