Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations) by…

Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations) (edition 2011)

by Michael J. Sullivan

Member:krau0098
Title:Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 816 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, Riyira Revelations

Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan

RISE OF EMPIRE is the second volume of the Riyria Revelations, containing the third and fourth books of the series, NYPHRON RISING and THE EMERALD STORM.

In NYPHRON RISING, the Church of Nyphron has finally implemented its centuries-old plan to unite most of the kingdoms of Avryn into an empire under newly crowned emperor Modina. However, Melengar and the Nationalists from Delgos remain thorns in the new empire’s side, and Prince Alric and Princess Arista are determined to keep the resistance alive. As the official royal protectors, Royce and Hadrian are crucial to the war effort. This is definitely a war book, although it doesn’t focus too much on the battles, it’s about war and its effects. I used to think that Arista was an annoying character, but upon rereading this, I actually really like her. She’s naive at first, but she grows and comes into her own in this book, and she’s probably one of my favorite characters.

THE EMERALD STORM is probably the most depressing of the books, it’s the part in the series where everything goes wrong and our heroes seem like they have no chance of winning. If this was a trilogy, this would be the second book. The tone of Royce and Hadrian’s story is more like an adventure novel, a lot of it is set on a ship, and there’s a mission into barbarian jungles. I don’t find ships particularly interesting, so I was glad that despite being named after the ship, the book had a significant portion of time off the ship. I wasn’t a big fan of the warlord and goblin plotline, I felt like they were reduced to stock “evil” characters in a series that usually focuses more on individuals and not their race. I probably enjoyed Arista’s story the most, she realizes that the war may not be the most important thing going on, and changes her plans. ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
Same entertaining writing, but this volume was a tad less good than the first one. Lot of the scenes felt inconsequential and the resolution of the Delvos invasion plot line was really, reallllly too far fetched. The rest was still great though. ( )
  kinwolf | Aug 21, 2016 |
Here is where you hear me swearing because I do not have book 3 ready *insert curse*. I seriously need more, and this coming from someone who has done pretty much nothing else than read for 2 days straight. Sp sorry if nothing I say make sense in this review.

Ok where to start? That is always the question, I am still high on good book, I do love fantasy, I just love to read without stopping and just feel that I am getting lost in another world, that nothing else exists anymore. And that is what this book manages to do for me, it is old school fantasy, and I adore old school fantasy. The adventure, the intrigues, the fact that I just feel so at home in whatever world is created. It feels like coming home.

Hadrian and Royce are the best, to have friends like that, now that would be something. I do admit to liking Royce a bit more, but that is cos of his origin, I have always had a soft spot for his kind. And Hadrian is so sweet, I do hope he finds the girl I want him to find.

As for the rest, Arista has grown a lot. Poor Empress, her I fear for, the baddies, omg, the baddies are so evil! Just like they should be. I truly hate them because they are so set in they ways. I really want more info about the elves. And then there are a bunch of others we meet in this story, all good to love or hate.

I am rambling again, why do I always ramble? I kind of wanted to hug this book when it ended cos I was happy. There is nothing better than a book that leaves you happy. And with this I mean it was a good bool because the end, yes bad things are going to happen in the next book if people are not stopped.

If you have not noticed by now I liked this book, and i can't wait to read book 3. It is pre-ordered and it should arrive in a month or so. And I really need my pretty print copy cos this is one big bool.

Conclusion:
Well duh, yes of course I recommend it. Just let yourself be swept away by this fantasy adventure
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
As a jaded mega-reader, I often dive into new series with trepidation, wondering if it will be mediocre and leave me feeling like I wasted my time. This series and author won me over. Rise of Empire escalates the stakes, brings you closer to the characters, and deepens the epic plot. Well worth picking up, once you've read Theft of Swords. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
Continues the story on from the first book.
The most interesting story line follows the two thieves, but we also follow the princess as she tries to act (unsuccessfully) as ambassador-at-large for her kingdom.
The action ranges far and wide as the two thieves try to disrupt an Empire plot and the search goes on for the true "Promised One". Another, very competent villain is introduced as a real challenge.
The whole story ends with a cliff-hanger. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The birth of the Nyphron Empire has brought war to Melengar. To save her kingdom, Princess Arista runs a desperate gamble when she defies her brother and hires Royce and Hadrian to perform a dangerous mission behind enemy lines"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,518,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible