Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations) by…

Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations) (edition 2011)

by Michael J. Sullivan

Member:krau0098
Title:Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 816 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, Riyira Revelations

Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan

This is the second omnibus in the Riyria Revelations series. I actually enjoyed this one more than the first, which is very rare with the middle book in a trilogy. I recommend this those who love a good fantasy novel or just a good story.

I feel like everything I enjoyed in the first book is still present, but somehow better / more intense. Lots of action and mystery and comedy. And the characters develop so much! It's great to see them grow. ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jul 2, 2014 |
You can never quite tell how this book is going to twist its way around.. and around.. and around.. Gorgeous. ( )
  amusing.nickname | May 26, 2014 |
Sullivan delivers again with a solid sequel to the first installment, but unlike many other authors, Sullivan dares to change things up in the middle. Where the first book revolved around the journey of a prince become king, this time out the focus shifts, and our stalwart quasi-heroes play footmen to a different kind of royal journey: the one of princess become sorceress. Through it all, scattered light continues to fall on the primary relationship - between Royce and Hadrian - revealing a deeper and more complex relationship, but without yet pulling back the covers to give us what we want.

And that leaves plenty of fun yet to be had in the next, and final book of the series. ( )
  Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
This was a fantastic adventure quest. I am going to review the entire series because I devoured them so quickly that I don't think I could write a separate review for each one. Each book contains two stories for a total of six in the whole arc. I was initially drawn into the story by how much I enjoyed the characters. Hadrian and Royce, a team of for hire mercenaries, are the best at what they do. Part of what makes them so good, is that they are completely different people with opposite skill sets and this leads to lots of fun banter between them. They were an intriguing blend of tarnished and honorable. The first story, Crown Conspiracy, was a lot of fun and mostly stand alone and I was completely hooked. By the second and third books there were hints of a larger plot that I was dying to find out more about. Each book has an individual plot, some of which were more entertaining than others. I loved getting to know the characters backstories as the series progressed, but it was balanced so nicely with the plot that it didn’t bog down the story. There are some gritty/gruesome, aspects to the books, especially as we learn more about Royce, which may not work for the squeamish. The whole world was well thought out and beautifully complex, without boring info dumps. As a whole this is one of the best epic fantasy series I have read in a long time. ( )
  readr | Apr 16, 2014 |
After reading Rise of Empire, I can't wait to start the next book, Heir of Novron. I was left with just too many questions. I normally don't like to read series books for several books for multiple reasons. However, with this series, I honestly don't want to see this series to end.

Rise of Empre is like Theft of Swords, it contains two books in one. The first book Nyphron Rising, we get to see where both Royce and Hadrian grew up. Royce grew up on the streets, learned to become a thief and eventually a top member of a gang. Hadrain, grew up living with his blacksmith father. He learned on a daily basis how to weild a sword. Hadrian, runs away to never want to return to his home. 5 years after his father's death, he returns home to learn that his life was not what he thought it was.

Arista becomes a bigger part in Nyphron Rising. She finds her capabilities to perform magic are getting better and easier. She also learns that she is a stronger and more capable woman than she ever thought she was. She is even becomming a better ruler than her King brother.

Modina (Thrace) has sought shelter within herself. She has become the puppet of Saldur. Thanks to a lonely, quiet and simple girl, Amelia, does Modina get love and encouragement. We learn more and more of what Saldur is capable of and how he is spinning the world into HIS empire.

The second book is The Emeral Storm. In this book we learn so many secrets and clues to the true heir are given. However, we still don't know who it truely is. I have my guesses, but I don't know for certain.

Royce and Hadrian meet up again at Gwen's. We learn that Royce and Gwen are to be married. (This is just find fascinating) Gwen convinces Royce that he is has to go with Hadrian to help him on this next stage of his quest. Gwen then informs Hadrian that he needs to protect Royce and help him as well. (This is just too cryptic)

Royce is in more of a good mood in this book. He is joking more, seems more personable. That is until they board the ship, The Emerald Storm. Royce spends a week so seasick that he wishes to die. Hadrian takes care of him and nurses him through this rough patch. Neither being on a ship, learn what sea life is like and decide that becoming a seaman is not for them. They prefer their land legs.

Modina and Amelia start to evolve into a huge characters in this book. Modina is now speaking thanks to Amelia. Amelia learns of secrets that she doesn't share with Modina. A new helper Nimbus comes in and starts to shape Modina and helps Amelia. I personally get frustrated with Amelia on how she appears to become more of a puppet for Saldur than a helper for Modina. I think this is only because of being naive...I hope.

Arista, I just love her! She starts to become powerful with her magic. She learns that she is capable of so many things. She also finds Hilfred and learns that he was in love with her all those years. Arista becomes more aware of how lower citizens live and the struggles of their lives. She is more compassionate because she herself starts to live on the streets. I think this is only leading up for her to become a great leader.

I personally love how Arista is developing. I forsee that she will be come a ruler of a region. I also see that her and Hadrian are starting to fall in love with each other. At least this is what I'm hoping for. When I finished this Rise of Empire, I was left with so many questions that I honestly need to start Heir of Novron. I need to see what happens to Arista, Hadrian, Royce, Gwen (I think she dies), and Modina.

Such a wonderful series. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The birth of the Nyphron Empire has brought war to Melengar. To save her kingdom, Princess Arista runs a desperate gamble when she defies her brother and hires Royce and Hadrian to perform a dangerous mission behind enemy lines"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible