Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations) by…

Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations) (edition 2011)

by Michael J. Sullivan

Title:Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 816 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Tags:fantasy, Riyira Revelations

Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan

Book 2 of The Riyeria Revelations, a superb fantasy series, right up there with Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time. The Rivera ore Hadrian and Royce, and their relationship is front and center in these rollicking adventures. Brilliantly read. ( )
  DavidO1103 | Nov 8, 2015 |
Another good two stories to the series. I think I liked the first one in this omnibus than the second one. The first had lost of nature, war, battles, budding love, etc. The second book in the omnibus had oceans, ships, murder, and intrigue. Both good, but the second of the two felt more like a transitional book. I'm still looking forward to the next in the series. There has been a lot of foreshadowing going on and I'm curious to see how it all plays out. ( )
  Kassilem | Mar 16, 2015 |
Rise of Empire is the second omnibus in The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan, this installment contains the third and fourth books in the series: Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm.

The above blurb describes what Nyphron Rising is about. After events in Avempartha (second book) The Empire has been stablished, slowly they are taking over other kingdoms, just very few are left, one of those is Melengar. The new and young king Alric is not faring well, his decisions are question and doubt daily. The Kingdom has seen many loses and its people are not happy. Alric faith is placed on his sister’s diplomatic mission in finding allies, but when Arista returns with bad news everything seem lost.
Arista can’t take the disappointment of her brother and the perilous situation of their kingdom. Defying her brother’s orders she embarks in a new and last mission to save Melengar. With the help of Royce and Hadrian she leaves Melengar in search of the leader of the Nationalist Group, Degan Gaunt. And alliance with him it’s the last option to save their Kingdom.
Royce and Hadrian take this as a last job, they want to retired and do something else with their lives, but before Royce can’t retire he needs to confirm what Esrahaddon told him about Hadrian in Avempartha. This last mission with not only be to help Arista but to go back to Hadrian roots.

In Nyphron Rising we see how the events in Avempartha have affected the future of the kingdoms and how the hands of the Church are dirtier and planted deeper than what we thought. We travel from new lands, discovering more about about favorite characters and also the not so favorite ones. New characters are introduced and others are given a new feeling like it was the cases of the Empress Modina and Princess Arista.
In Nyphron Rising Mr. Sullivan does an amazing job preparing us for what it is to come.

In The Emerald Storm Royce and Hadrian have already completed the mission with Arista with surprising results. Royce has decided to retired and live a calm life with Gwen and Hadrian is working towards his new objective in life, to find and protect The Heir of Novron. After receiving some information Hadrian decides to embark in a new mission that will get him closer to find the heir, this will be his first solo mission in many years. When hearing about this, Royce decides to accompany his friend one last time; Royce is sure this mission is too dangerous for Hadrian alone, he knows the probability of Hadrian surviving without his help will be very low.

In The Emerald Storm Mr. Sullivan takes us to places never visited before, we travel by sea, through jungles and other dangerous locations. We meet new people and new races, we discovered secrets and learned a lot more about Hadrian’s past. Old characters made surprising appearances and new characters are introduced to enrich the story. As in previous books Mr. Sullivan is not timid while eliminating characters we have learned to love, the death toll is rising and the situation is getting more complicated than ever.

I really loved how Mr. Sullivan takes Royce and Hadrian from their element, they come to be almost an unstoppable force to a very precarious situation in which they are depending of others; that made them feel more real and endearing to me.
I also loved what Mr. Sullivan has done with Princess Arista, in each book I loving her more and more, I can easily say she has become a favorite of mine. Mr. Sullivan gave us some hits about her and somebody else, I hope I’m right because it’ll be a match I’ll be to happy with.
In this installment Mr Sullivan does an incredible job with character development, all of our favorite characters have come a long way and after all their experiences the changes in their personalities are noticeable, they all have changed and evolved. From our ex-mercenaries Royce and Hadrian, to Arista and the puppet Empress Modina. The intrigues and twists in The Emerald Storm were completely of the charts. This fast paced story is one you won’t be able to put down and I can guarantee you when you reach its “end” you will be counting the days left to get the next omnibus of this series Heir of Novron (Wintertide and Percepliquis).

As I said in my review of Theft of Swords Michael J. Sullivan has become one of my favorite fantasy authors and with Rise of Empire he cemented my sentiment even more.
This books are written in a way that could be read as stand alone but please don’t do that, this amazing series deserve to be read as a whole and in order. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I really wanted to make this a 4.5, but I don't want to skimp with a 4.
Its a marvelous classic fantasy.
It well written, its fast, and its a fun read.

If I have criticism, its that it tends to spend too much time with politics/history - which I tend to skim over. But its not like its THAT much time.

There are some rather wrenching twists that I was unprepared for.

And there is more to come. LOVE That.

blatherlikeme | Sep 28, 2014 |
This is the second omnibus in the Riyria Revelations series. I actually enjoyed this one more than the first, which is very rare with the middle book in a trilogy. I recommend this those who love a good fantasy novel or just a good story.

I feel like everything I enjoyed in the first book is still present, but somehow better / more intense. Lots of action and mystery and comedy. And the characters develop so much! It's great to see them grow. ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jul 2, 2014 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The birth of the Nyphron Empire has brought war to Melengar. To save her kingdom, Princess Arista runs a desperate gamble when she defies her brother and hires Royce and Hadrian to perform a dangerous mission behind enemy lines"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

12 wanted2 pay1 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,919,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible