Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations) by…

Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations) (edition 2011)

by Michael J. Sullivan

2661944,311 (4.16)9
Member:krau0098
Title:Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan
Info:
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, Riyira Revelations

Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan

I really wanted to make this a 4.5, but I don't want to skimp with a 4.
Its a marvelous classic fantasy.
It well written, its fast, and its a fun read.

If I have criticism, its that it tends to spend too much time with politics/history - which I tend to skim over. But its not like its THAT much time.

There are some rather wrenching twists that I was unprepared for.

And there is more to come. LOVE That.

blatherlikeme | Sep 28, 2014 |
This is the second omnibus in the Riyria Revelations series. I actually enjoyed this one more than the first, which is very rare with the middle book in a trilogy. I recommend this those who love a good fantasy novel or just a good story.

I feel like everything I enjoyed in the first book is still present, but somehow better / more intense. Lots of action and mystery and comedy. And the characters develop so much! It's great to see them grow. ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jul 2, 2014 |
You can never quite tell how this book is going to twist its way around.. and around.. and around.. Gorgeous. ( )
  amusing.nickname | May 26, 2014 |
Sullivan delivers again with a solid sequel to the first installment, but unlike many other authors, Sullivan dares to change things up in the middle. Where the first book revolved around the journey of a prince become king, this time out the focus shifts, and our stalwart quasi-heroes play footmen to a different kind of royal journey: the one of princess become sorceress. Through it all, scattered light continues to fall on the primary relationship - between Royce and Hadrian - revealing a deeper and more complex relationship, but without yet pulling back the covers to give us what we want.

And that leaves plenty of fun yet to be had in the next, and final book of the series. ( )
  Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
This was a fantastic adventure quest. I am going to review the entire series because I devoured them so quickly that I don't think I could write a separate review for each one. Each book contains two stories for a total of six in the whole arc. I was initially drawn into the story by how much I enjoyed the characters. Hadrian and Royce, a team of for hire mercenaries, are the best at what they do. Part of what makes them so good, is that they are completely different people with opposite skill sets and this leads to lots of fun banter between them. They were an intriguing blend of tarnished and honorable. The first story, Crown Conspiracy, was a lot of fun and mostly stand alone and I was completely hooked. By the second and third books there were hints of a larger plot that I was dying to find out more about. Each book has an individual plot, some of which were more entertaining than others. I loved getting to know the characters backstories as the series progressed, but it was balanced so nicely with the plot that it didn’t bog down the story. There are some gritty/gruesome, aspects to the books, especially as we learn more about Royce, which may not work for the squeamish. The whole world was well thought out and beautifully complex, without boring info dumps. As a whole this is one of the best epic fantasy series I have read in a long time. ( )
  readr | Apr 16, 2014 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The birth of the Nyphron Empire has brought war to Melengar. To save her kingdom, Princess Arista runs a desperate gamble when she defies her brother and hires Royce and Hadrian to perform a dangerous mission behind enemy lines"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,357,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible