Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations) by…

Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations) (edition 2011)

by Michael J. Sullivan

218None54,150 (4.18)6
Member:krau0098
Title:Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 816 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, Riyira Revelations

Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan

Recently added byreadr, JillJennings, private library, Broc_Hervey, cbilbo, Kat_Hooper, hhdane.mom, NanoWzrd, dwsmac

After reading Rise of Empire, I can't wait to start the next book, Heir of Novron. I was left with just too many questions. I normally don't like to read series books for several books for multiple reasons. However, with this series, I honestly don't want to see this series to end.

Rise of Empre is like Theft of Swords, it contains two books in one. The first book Nyphron Rising, we get to see where both Royce and Hadrian grew up. Royce grew up on the streets, learned to become a thief and eventually a top member of a gang. Hadrain, grew up living with his blacksmith father. He learned on a daily basis how to weild a sword. Hadrian, runs away to never want to return to his home. 5 years after his father's death, he returns home to learn that his life was not what he thought it was.

Arista becomes a bigger part in Nyphron Rising. She finds her capabilities to perform magic are getting better and easier. She also learns that she is a stronger and more capable woman than she ever thought she was. She is even becomming a better ruler than her King brother.

Modina (Thrace) has sought shelter within herself. She has become the puppet of Saldur. Thanks to a lonely, quiet and simple girl, Amelia, does Modina get love and encouragement. We learn more and more of what Saldur is capable of and how he is spinning the world into HIS empire.

The second book is The Emeral Storm. In this book we learn so many secrets and clues to the true heir are given. However, we still don't know who it truely is. I have my guesses, but I don't know for certain.

Royce and Hadrian meet up again at Gwen's. We learn that Royce and Gwen are to be married. (This is just find fascinating) Gwen convinces Royce that he is has to go with Hadrian to help him on this next stage of his quest. Gwen then informs Hadrian that he needs to protect Royce and help him as well. (This is just too cryptic)

Royce is in more of a good mood in this book. He is joking more, seems more personable. That is until they board the ship, The Emerald Storm. Royce spends a week so seasick that he wishes to die. Hadrian takes care of him and nurses him through this rough patch. Neither being on a ship, learn what sea life is like and decide that becoming a seaman is not for them. They prefer their land legs.

Modina and Amelia start to evolve into a huge characters in this book. Modina is now speaking thanks to Amelia. Amelia learns of secrets that she doesn't share with Modina. A new helper Nimbus comes in and starts to shape Modina and helps Amelia. I personally get frustrated with Amelia on how she appears to become more of a puppet for Saldur than a helper for Modina. I think this is only because of being naive...I hope.

Arista, I just love her! She starts to become powerful with her magic. She learns that she is capable of so many things. She also finds Hilfred and learns that he was in love with her all those years. Arista becomes more aware of how lower citizens live and the struggles of their lives. She is more compassionate because she herself starts to live on the streets. I think this is only leading up for her to become a great leader.

I personally love how Arista is developing. I forsee that she will be come a ruler of a region. I also see that her and Hadrian are starting to fall in love with each other. At least this is what I'm hoping for. When I finished this Rise of Empire, I was left with so many questions that I honestly need to start Heir of Novron. I need to see what happens to Arista, Hadrian, Royce, Gwen (I think she dies), and Modina.

Such a wonderful series. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

Such a wonderful series. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
In Part 2 of The Riyria Revelations Michael Sullivan continues to enrapture the audience with a fast paced, action packed fantasy novel.

The usual suspects are still involved (the uber-handsome Hadrian and Royce, Princess Arista, Bishop Saldur, etc) with a few more interesting characters thrown in. These characters blend in seamlessly, adding crucial events to the story line.

The first part of the novel (considered book #3)I wasn't sure where Mr. Sullivan was going with the character of Royce. It seemed that Royce was becoming the ultimate super man, able to dodge speeding bullets, leap tall buildings, basically he could do no wrong and get out of any situation. In book #4 he does become more humanized again.

I was particularly taken with book 4, The Emerald Storm. A great story in a nautical setting, which unfolded with unexpected twists and turns.

I CANNOT WAIT TO PICK UP HEIR OF NOVRON!!!! ( )
  NancyNo5 | Aug 13, 2013 |
I know this series is supposed to be 6 books, published in 2-book volumes, but to me this definitely has a feel of a trilogy. And Rise of Empire is a very typical second part of trilogy- decidedly darker, with an unsettling ending, a good setup for the resolution of Part III. It's still a comfortable, familiar story, with characters both new and old that a fantasy/adventure reader has met before and has grown to know and love or despise as the case may be. A few good twists along the way, and as the story increase in scope you get to the point of everyone acting on more and more limited knowledge, resulting in some interesting choices and more surprises. More violence and higher body count here as well, but still safely in the PG-13 territory. Also- more magic, some of it really cool, not in a sense of being original, but more like the right magic popping in at just the perfect time. Good stuff all around. ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |
The adventures of thief Royce Melborn and mercenary Hadrian Blackwater continue in this volume of the Riyria Revelations. As the New Empire emerges under the direction of the Empress Modina, who used to be a girl called Thrace, and armies march to battle, Royce and Hadrian struggle to find their role in the course of events. A secret of Hadrian's past is reveled, but much remains shrouded in mystery as the characters fight to determine what will happen to the world of Elan. A fun read, highly recommended. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Apr 8, 2013 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The birth of the Nyphron Empire has brought war to Melengar. To save her kingdom, Princess Arista runs a desperate gamble when she defies her brother and hires Royce and Hadrian to perform a dangerous mission behind enemy lines"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible