Renegade Magic by Stephanie Burgis

Oh, Kat Stephenson! To say this girl is incorrigible is spot on and, quite honestly, the reason I fell in love with her character the first time around. She's back in a big way in Renegade Magic. Kat's sister is finally marrying the man she loves and Kat herself finally has a slight hold over her powers. What could possibly go wrong?

Once again I was drawn in by the setting Stephanie Burgis places young Kat in. She is a young girl surrounded by lectures on propriety and manners. Constantly told to squash her willful ways. For any other character it might be too much, but for Kat it's just the way things are. Her intelligence and her stubborn nature shine in front of this backdrop. It's so easy to fall in love with the way she is simply herself in a sea full of people trying to be someone else.

All of my favorite characters were back, and this time around I had a better glimpse into Lady Graves and Lord Ravenscroft. I thought Burgis did a wonderful job of weaving together the story of a wedding gone awry, and the sinister things these two characters were up to. Better still, the main setting for this book is in Bath. It sets up a perfect place for magic to mix with history, all culminating in an adventure that Kat and her family will never forget. This book moves quickly, and I couldn't get enough of it.

I don't think I'll ever tire of Ms. Kat Stephenson. There's something to be said about the fierce loyalty and love that she has for her family, even when they drive her crazy. Even if you don't generally read Middle Grade books, I can guarantee you'll fall in love with this series. Stephanie Burgis has expertly crafted a way to mesh magic and mayhem into something you won't be able to put down. Get started! Kat and her family are waiting. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Review first posted on my blog, Dee's Reads

You know what they say about sequels?
Sequels are unfortunately, many times, less enticing than the first book in a series.
This books is prime example of why they say such things.

It took me so long to get through this book, which says a lot because it's a middle grade book. Why do I feel that it fell short? Let me list the ways…

-Kat seems to be almost a caricature of herself, even more incorrigible (ok, it's in the title, I get it), but she didn't just border on annoying—she was annoying. Until she met up with Emily, her first friend and another young lady in the series who is about Kat's age—we finally get to see a different dynamic between Kat and another character who isn't just either ENEMY or FAMILY. *yawn*

-The plot was predictable. Eerily close to the first book, but lacking in magic, was the plot.

-I felt like the book was bumbling around…disaster after disaster that didn't really seem too believable — okay it's fictional and middle grade but something just didn't "click" throughout the book…

UNTIL THE END

I gotta say the author knows how to end a book. Her ending is what made the last book spectacular; and the ending is what made this book "okay/good" instead of just, well, "meh."

The ending was brilliant, I have to say. Was it enough to save the book and make it great? Not for me, no. Will I read the next book, the last book, in the series? Well, yeah…I already bought it. I want to see it out, but I'm pushing it back so I am not sure when I'll get to it. I kind of feel like I know exactly what to expect. That's not a really great feeling for the end of a series.

The things I did like was the addition of Emily to the character list (I hope she's in the next book). Like I mentioned, I loved the ending and it pretty much made me give this book two stars instead of one. I also liked the history and the inclusion of the ancient Roman Baths. I loved learning how they were in Bath back then and what people thought of them. It was really funny and I learned some unexpected things.

I recommend this book for a younger audience of readers who are interested in Regency era Britain.
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Even better than the first! This is one of the best *sequels* I've ever read, too. I am so impressed by how the book drew me right back into Kat's world, reminding me of what I needed to know from the first book, without over-burdening the delicious new story.

I just love these characters so much! They're funny and charming and true, especially Kat herself.

And while the ending was completely satisfying, I'm even more eager now for the third book!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I really did enjoy this one, I love Kat as a character and this story only adds to the entertainment. After her eldest sister's wedding, interrupted by her second sister's hopeful mother-in-law. While the marriage does go through her stepmother is left with a scandal she needs to fix, so off to Bath with them, Angeline needs to find a husband.

However there's wild magic in the Baths, wild magic that Kat notices and something is going on that may cost someone in her family their lives.

Loved it, loved the period details and the characters and really do want more. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 21, 2014 |
In the second book of her adventures, Kat Stephenson gets whisked to Bath after the mother of Frederick Carlyle dashes Angeline's hopes at marriage.

It's been awhile since I read the first book in the series, but it turns out not to matter much. Burgis deftly reminded me who characters were and what was going on, as well as introducing new fun. Kat may be rather precocious for her age, but the setting of early 1800s England makes some of her vocabulary more believable and this was just plain fun to read. ( )
  bell7 | Jul 29, 2012 |

Stephanie Burgisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marnat, AnnetteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[UK Edition] My brother Charles was a hopeless gamester, a ridiculous over-sleeper and the one sibling too lazy to take part in any family arguments, no matter how exasperating our sisters might have been (and usually were). But he had one shining virtue as an older brother: he was infinitely persuadable.
[US Edition] It was a truth universally acknowledged that my brother, Charles was a hopeless gamester, a ridiculous oversleeper, and the one sibling too lazy to take part in any family arguments, no matter how exasperating our sisters might have been (and usually were).

But he had one shining virtue as an older brother: He was infinitely persuadable.

Twelve-year-old Kat tries to use her untrained magical powers to prevent use of the wild magic of Sulis Minerva found in Bath, England, where Stepmama has brought the family in hopes of finding Kat's sister a proper match.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,743,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible