All Different Kinds Of Free by Jessica…

All Different Kinds Of Free (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jessica McCann

Member:haidadareads
Title:All Different Kinds Of Free
Authors:Jessica McCann
Info:Bell Bridge Books (2011), Paperback, 274 pages
Rating:***

All Different Kinds of Free by Jessica McCann (2011)

I give five stars to “all different kinds of free”, written by Jessica McCann was a winner of the Freedom in Fiction Prize. One of my favorite authors, Sandra Dallas, said of this book: “…gripping…this book tears at your heart.”

I totally agree with her comment. This book tore a little piece of my heart each time I read about the degradation, hopelessness and total disregard for humanity that Margaret Morgan and her family experienced at the hands of “owners” and other persons who caused this woman and her family untold grief. Even though this is a work of fiction, it is based on events that truly did happen in Maryland and Pennsylvania before the Civil War. This event is a court case that went all the way to the Supreme Court, Prigg vs. Pennsylvania. In this case the Supreme Court opinion invalidated a Pennsylvania law that prevented free blacks from being kidnapped and sold into slavery.

Margaret Morgan was a real person. However, this fictional work told of a Margaret who fled slavery in Maryland, coming to Pennsylvania under the impression that she was a free woman. She was married to a free black man and had children. They lived in Pennsylvania for several years before she was kidnapped by Mr. Prigg and returned to slavery along with her children. What follows in Margaret’s life is not to be believed. My heart broke piece by piece as I read of her travails. It is unconscionable that these actions took place in our country during the time of slavery. I cringed each time these people were treated with less respect than the horses. It makes sense that we in this time of history read about past times so that we make sure that actions like this never happen again.

You can contact the author at www.jessicamccann.com.

Amazon.com and Bell Bridge Books provided a free kindle copy to me in return for my honest review of this book.

You can find this review on my blog at http://wp.me/p2pjIt-8V. ( )
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Margaret Morgan, a free woman, and her three children are kidnapped by a slave hunter and taken to Maryland where Margaret was born free and raised as a child. Her two parents were freed before their master's death, but the widow claims Margaret after decades in order to sell her and the children to pay off debts. This historical novel is based on a true story that sparked the Supreme Court case Priggs vs Pennsylvania that concerned states' rights and slavery, and which helped spark the Civil War. This young adult book has some carefully written sexual parts that are appropriate for older teens. Margaret and her daughter Emma are fully developed characters who grow from naive trust to cynical self-protection over a period of years. Minor characters are well-developed and bring much to the story. Throughout, I kept hoping for Margaret to find some happiness while being enslaved, but it was realistically slight and strengthened the impact and verity of the work. The real Margaret Morgan disappeared into history; I hope she was able to find some peace and joy in her life. ( )
  brickhorse | Aug 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Margaret grew up as a free black woman in the south, born to two slaves who were freed by their owner before she was born. She marries an ex-slave who is now free, and they move north, settle their own homestead and have a few kids. They have a wonderful life together. Then Margaret is kidnapped by a man sent by her parents' previous owner, who claims that she is a runaway slave.

Based on real historical characters, this is one of those absorbing stories that can keep you on the edge of your seat, wondering what will happen to Margaret and her children.

Little is known about Margaret, other than the fact that she lost the case against Pennsylvania that concerned her. This book speculates about how her life may have gone.

Margaret is a strong woman, living a blessed life with her husband and children, when Edward Prigg forcibly takes her and her children from her home and returns her to the widow of the man who once owned her parents.

I really enjoyed this story, although there were a few characters that seemed to have been inserted into the story for no real purpose, such as the character of Rose McFarland. She was a spirited and intelligent young woman that I would have been interested in getting to know better, but instead she was introduced briefly and then disappeared from the story again. It left me wondering why make a character so intriguing and likable just to have her be a momentary distraction?

My final word: Simple and unadorned, this hard-hitting story will leave you rooting for Margaret and her family, hoping against hope that she regains the freedom stolen from her. If you like fictional stories about slavery and the struggle to overcome, pick up this book! ( )
  nfmgirl2 | Apr 24, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an amazing story. I found it an easy read, although the story was heart wrenching. The author was a great job of putting us in the story and creating a plausible story for what is really the unknown. I enjoyed it.
  shemsu | Dec 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a good read. It's takes awhile to get into the story though. I actually put it down for a few months but managed to start over and finish. ( )
  haidadareads | Nov 7, 2012 |

A free woman of color in the 1830s, Margaret Morgan lived a life full of promise. One frigid night in Pennsylvania, that changed forever. They tore her family apart. They put her in chains. They never expected her to fight back.In 1837, Margaret Morgan was kidnapped from her home in Pennsylvania and sold into slavery. The state of Pennsylvania charged her kidnapper with the crime, but the conviction was later overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court. It was the first time a major branch of the federal government had made a pro-slavery stand, and the ruling in Prigg v. Pennsylvania sewed the bitter seeds of the states' rights battle that eventually would lead to the Civil War.Yet, the heart of this story is not a historic Supreme Court ruling. It is the remarkable, unforgettable Margaret Morgan. Her life would never be the same. Her family had been torn apart. Uncaring forces abused her body and her heart. But she refused to give up, refused to stop fighting, refused to allow her soul to be enslaved.Jessica McCann's work as an award-winning journalist has been published in Business Week, The Writer, and many other publications. ALL DIFFERENT KINDS OF FREE is her first novel. Learn more about McCann online at www.jessicamccann.com.

A fictionalized account of Margaret Morgan, a real-life free woman of color in the 1830s who was kidnapped from her home in Pennsylvania and sold into slavery.

Bell Bridge Books

An edition of this book was published by Bell Bridge Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

All Different Kinds of Free by Jessica McCann was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,890,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible