The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races

by Maggie Stiefvater

English (151)  Spanish (1)  All languages (152)
2.5* ( )
  danaenicole | Jul 11, 2014 |
I am SOOO happily surprised. Loved it! Gave it 5 stars at first for emotional feel but a few days later, I do have a few nitpicks. Still, excellent excellent excellent. Full review to come. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Great Young Adult fantasy tale wrapped around the legendary Celtic water horses. The dark dystopian world on the small island of Thisby will pull you in. The carnivorous water horses are brutal and majestic, the island bleak and beautiful, and the characters are flawed but likable. ( )
  Tina_Ervin | Jun 3, 2014 |
Excellent! I listened to this on tape and was completely enchanted with this original story! The author's descriptions are amazing and really draw you into the setting and the story. With charming characters and plenty of action/drama, I couldn't wait to see what would happen next! I would definitely recommend this as a book-on-tape or book! ( )
  SuzReads | May 29, 2014 |
I borrowed this book in the attempt to combat my Raven Boys withdrawal symptoms until the next book comes out in September. I loved this book; Maggie Stiefvater's creations (the island of Thisby, the water horses, as well as Dove and the human characters) are entirely credible, each with their own stories, superstitions and idiosyncrasies and so much more interesting and human than, say, Stephenie Meyer's. The fact that she manages to keep Sean and Puck apart for the first 120+ pages only increases the tension, and thereafter they're just as much battling the islanders' prejudices, the dangerous water horses and the elements as their feelings for each other, as each is determined to win for their own reasons. The night of the storm is truly terrifying, and the description of the race at the end made my own heart beat in time with the pounding of the hooves. There is joy and heartbreak, sadness and sorrow, courage and determination; not bad things to reflect on when you're a teenager. ( )
  passion4reading | May 3, 2014 |
To Marian, who sees horses in her dreams
It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die. (Prologue: Nine Years Earlier: Sean)
People say my brothers would be lost without me, but really, I'd be lost without them. (Chapter One: Puck)
You only have to be the fastest of those who are left.
It's easy to convince men to love you, Puck. All you have to do is be a mountain they have to climb or a poem they don't understand. Something that makes them feel strong or clever. It's why they love the ocean.
My mother always said that I was born out of a bottle of vinegar instead of born from a womb and that she and my father bathed me in sugar for three days to wash it off. I try to behave, but I always go back to the vinegar.
The evening sun loves her throat and her cheekbones. (p. 359)
I feel the island underneath me and Sean's mouth on my lips, and I wonder if luck will be on our side today. (p. 373)

Capaill uisce are
Race horses with a difference:
Fast and furious.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054522490X, Hardcover)

Product Description
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Shiver and Linger comes a brand new, heart-stopping novel.

With her trademark lyricism, Maggie Stiefvater turns to a new world, where a pair are swept up in a daring, dangerous race across a cliff--with more than just their lives at stake should they lose.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:04 -0400)

Nineteen-year-old returning champion Sean Kendrick competes against Puck Connolly, the first girl ever to ride in the annual Scorpio Races, both trying to keep hold of their dangerous water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,661,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible