The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races

by Maggie Stiefvater

English (152)  Spanish (1)  All languages (153)
This book was a book club read for this month, and unlike the first seven books this year (all in the Harry Potter series), this one I hadn’t read before. I have read another series by this author, though, which I liked, so I was looking forward to this one. It took a few chapters for me to get into, but once I was “there”, it didn’t disappoint.

The water horses from this story come from old legends, but the author has created a version of these fairy horses that is all her own. It’s spectacularly written. The characters have so much depth, and at times while I was reading, my heart would just ache. I’d say that’s the sign of some effective writing. It is a love story, but not one just between man and woman, but between man and horse, and man and heritage/island (or woman, as the case may be). I loved the fact that this was a stand-alone book and that I don’t feel like I have to read two more novels before I see how the story ends!

Would I recommend this to my BFF? Yes!
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Yes. I would, however, hesitate with the younger tweens, or at lease go on a case-by-case recommendation on this one just because it is such an intense book with a lot of blood… and some children are more sensitive about that sort of thing than others. I would encourage my 13 year old to read it, but I don’t think my 10 year old would be emotionally ready yet. ( )
  lauraodom | Sep 2, 2014 |
It was nice to read an original-type story. I think a lot of people would enjoy this one, both boys and girls. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
2.5* ( )
  danaenicole | Jul 11, 2014 |
I am SOOO happily surprised. Loved it! Gave it 5 stars at first for emotional feel but a few days later, I do have a few nitpicks. Still, excellent excellent excellent. Full review to come. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Great Young Adult fantasy tale wrapped around the legendary Celtic water horses. The dark dystopian world on the small island of Thisby will pull you in. The carnivorous water horses are brutal and majestic, the island bleak and beautiful, and the characters are flawed but likable. ( )
  Tina_Ervin | Jun 3, 2014 |
To Marian, who sees horses in her dreams
It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die. (Prologue: Nine Years Earlier: Sean)
People say my brothers would be lost without me, but really, I'd be lost without them. (Chapter One: Puck)
You only have to be the fastest of those who are left.
It's easy to convince men to love you, Puck. All you have to do is be a mountain they have to climb or a poem they don't understand. Something that makes them feel strong or clever. It's why they love the ocean.
My mother always said that I was born out of a bottle of vinegar instead of born from a womb and that she and my father bathed me in sugar for three days to wash it off. I try to behave, but I always go back to the vinegar.
The evening sun loves her throat and her cheekbones. (p. 359)
I feel the island underneath me and Sean's mouth on my lips, and I wonder if luck will be on our side today. (p. 373)

Capaill uisce are
Race horses with a difference:
Fast and furious.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054522490X, Hardcover)

Product Description
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Shiver and Linger comes a brand new, heart-stopping novel.

With her trademark lyricism, Maggie Stiefvater turns to a new world, where a pair are swept up in a daring, dangerous race across a cliff--with more than just their lives at stake should they lose.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:04 -0400)

Nineteen-year-old returning champion Sean Kendrick competes against Puck Connolly, the first girl ever to ride in the annual Scorpio Races, both trying to keep hold of their dangerous water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,649,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible