The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races

by Maggie Stiefvater

1,8182023,846 (4.21)154

English (200)  Spanish (1)  All languages (201)
This book was magic, I'm madly in love. It is both wonderful and terrible that it's the first book I read this year because the bar for everything has been set very high now.
Maggie Stiefvater's writing is like a spell she's woven and I cried when I reach the end because it was just the right one.
Puck is fantastic, just about everything I want out of a female lead character, she faces many things in this book but she doesn't act as though it doesn't bother her but she also doesn't let it stop her.
Sean is great too, another dreamer not willing to go down without a fight, not willing to quit.
And the way they with each other interact is both fantastical and believable, I so don't have the right words.
  SamCanesi | Feb 6, 2016 |
Narrated by Steve West and Fiona Hardingham. The hardscrabble island life of Thisby and its waterhorse culture comes alive in this audio presentation. Steve West is particularly effective portraying Sean, a brooding, passionate horseman who just holds his emotions in check. Powerful horses, a unique culture and a touch of burgeoning romance make for a great getaway book. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
The concept of the water horse is very interesting and I liked seeing how the town survived because of this deadly tradition. I found the world building a bit off because it was hard to tell where the island was or what time period it was in. I could make some assumptions about the location, but the story really revolved around the simple life of the island dwellers. Sean and Puck’s evolving romance was unique because neither of them were looking for love, but they kept drifting closer and closer together. It was sort of an inconspicuous romance, but nice. The middle of the book plodded along and was a bit boring, but the race at the end was extremely riveting and well worth the trudging I felt like I went through in the middle of the book. The premise might not be for everyone, but was a decent read. I’m super glad it was a standalone with no sequels necessary. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Okay, if you told me that I would like a story about flesh eating horses that come from the sea and are tamed and raced, I would have thought you were crazy. But this book was well done! It has more of the tone of a historical novel. I can see how it won the Printz Honor award. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
To Marian, who sees horses in her dreams
It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die. (Prologue: Nine Years Earlier: Sean)
People say my brothers would be lost without me, but really, I'd be lost without them. (Chapter One: Puck)
You only have to be the fastest of those who are left.
It's easy to convince men to love you, Puck. All you have to do is be a mountain they have to climb or a poem they don't understand. Something that makes them feel strong or clever. It's why they love the ocean.
My mother always said that I was born out of a bottle of vinegar instead of born from a womb and that she and my father bathed me in sugar for three days to wash it off. I try to behave, but I always go back to the vinegar.
The evening sun loves her throat and her cheekbones. (p. 359)
I feel the island underneath me and Sean's mouth on my lips, and I wonder if luck will be on our side today. (p. 373)

Capaill uisce are
Race horses with a difference:
Fast and furious.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054522490X, Hardcover)

Product Description
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Shiver and Linger comes a brand new, heart-stopping novel.

With her trademark lyricism, Maggie Stiefvater turns to a new world, where a pair are swept up in a daring, dangerous race across a cliff--with more than just their lives at stake should they lose.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:33 -0400)

Nineteen-year-old returning champion Sean Kendrick competes against Puck Connolly, the first girl ever to ride in the annual Scorpio Races, both trying to keep hold of their dangerous water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible