The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races (edition 2011)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Collections:Children's Literature, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Celtic

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

English (211)  Spanish (1)  All languages (212)
Riders compete to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Puck Connolly is the first girl to ever ride in the Scorpio Races. It is a story of love and life and survival.
  JimStork | Jul 21, 2016 |
Loved it. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
very, very fierce and wild. hints of Ireland with that "bare bones" style of a classic faerie tale retelling. water horses -- romantic adventure. "like nothing else out there now" Kirkus. ( )
  mbrandone | Jun 9, 2016 |
The Scorpio Races is definitely a book for lovers of fantasy and of horses, as this is a main element in the story. The main character, Puck Connolly, is the first woman to ever compete in the annual Scorpio Races - a horse race on the beach shore. However, these are not ordinary horses they are racing; these are water horses, which are much fiercer and have a bit of a demonic, evil quality to them. Enter second main character, Sean Kendrick, who is a regular competitor in the Scorpio Races. These two decide to pair up and train together, and readers can go see how it goes from there. Now, the plot seems pretty simple, but there's more to it than what is expressed here. Also, the writing style is beautiful, particularly during the descriptions of these majestic but deadly water horses. It's a good book, and worth a read. ( )
  kdavis17 | Apr 1, 2016 |
I just saw the book trailer and it's amazing. though the score is very Chinese, but the animation is absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to get my copy!
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
To Marian, who sees horses in her dreams
It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die. (Prologue: Nine Years Earlier: Sean)
People say my brothers would be lost without me, but really, I'd be lost without them. (Chapter One: Puck)
You only have to be the fastest of those who are left.
It's easy to convince men to love you, Puck. All you have to do is be a mountain they have to climb or a poem they don't understand. Something that makes them feel strong or clever. It's why they love the ocean.
My mother always said that I was born out of a bottle of vinegar instead of born from a womb and that she and my father bathed me in sugar for three days to wash it off. I try to behave, but I always go back to the vinegar.
The evening sun loves her throat and her cheekbones. (p. 359)
I feel the island underneath me and Sean's mouth on my lips, and I wonder if luck will be on our side today. (p. 373)

Capaill uisce are
Race horses with a difference:
Fast and furious.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054522490X, Hardcover)

Product Description
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Shiver and Linger comes a brand new, heart-stopping novel.

With her trademark lyricism, Maggie Stiefvater turns to a new world, where a pair are swept up in a daring, dangerous race across a cliff--with more than just their lives at stake should they lose.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:33 -0400)

Nineteen-year-old returning champion Sean Kendrick competes against Puck Connolly, the first girl ever to ride in the annual Scorpio Races, both trying to keep hold of their dangerous water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,263,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible