The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races (edition 2011)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Collections:Children's Literature, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Celtic

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

English (157)  Spanish (1)  All languages (158)
Description: Some race to win. Others race to survive.

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.

Some riders live.

Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn't given her much of a choice. So she enters the competition - the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

As she did in her bestselling Shiver trilogy, author Maggie Stiefvater takes us to the breaking point, where both love and life meet their greatest obstacles, and only the strong of heart can survive. The Scorpio Races is an unforgettable reading experience.

Thoughts: I'm so glad that people were talking about this book on here or I would have written it off as something I wasn't interested in since I didn't really like Shiver. I was so wrong.

The setting and the way that Stiefvater sets the stage for what is to take place is wonderful- a bit sparse and mysterious and bleak and yet so compelling. The mythos that she is dealing with is wonderful and engaging and she disected it so well that it manages to be fresh and ancient at the same time.

And I would like to bring special attention to the way she created the love story here. She didn't stoop to false overemotion or require characters that were startilingly good looking. She just pushed them in each other's direction in the exact way life does and let it uncoil from there, so naturally and slowly but with real interest and heat for the lack of physicality.

The only thing I didn't particularly like was the ending because I wanted to know what happened next. It's not that the ending wasn't beautiful or that it failed to wrap up the story, it's just that it left so much tantalizing possibilities. Wish she was writing a sequel but she doesn't plan to.

Rating: 4.17

Liked: 4.5
Plot: 4
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4
Audio: 4

http://www.librarything.com/topic/153717#4085897 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 17, 2015 |
[Re-Read Apr 2012] Even better. I loved the characters even more this time, and teared up at the end.

[First read Nov 2011]
I am amused to realize I finished this on November 1st, the same day Scorpio Races themselves are held in the world of the book. And now I desperately want a buttery November cake dripping with honey.

I really enjoyed this -- perhaps even more so than LAMENT and BALLAD, my previous favorites of Stiefvater's books. This wasn't a book that gripped me with a fast paced plot, but I loved the atmosphere, the wonderfully flawed characters, and the island of Thisby itself.

And the ending was perfect. ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I am now officially a Maggie Steifvater fan! The Scorpio Races is just the kind of fantasy I enjoy. Stiefvater has breathed new life into old mythology. ( )
  Nancy.Castaldo | Nov 3, 2014 |
This was my second time reading (and listening) to this book, and I love it. The characters are complex and fascinating, but my favorite part is definitely the island of Thisby. Flesh eating horses aside, I want to live there. The residents of Thisby were complex and varied. If you are into audiobooks, this book was beautifully done. The voice acting is some of the best I have experienced. ( )
  jilliantow | Oct 22, 2014 |
Kate Connolly, also known as Puck, is forced to enter the Scorpio Races, to have enough money to pay of their house. During the Scorpio Races season the water horses come out of the sea to hunt. They look just like normal horses. Puck's brother Gabe is also going to the mainland after the races. As the first girl entering on a normal horse, Puck meets the three time winner Sean Kendrick. Puck and Sean train together on the cliffs. Many people died during training. Sean's boss said he would sell Sean his water horse Corr if he would win the race, but when it was time for the races Sean's bosses son Mutt wanted to cut Puck's horse Dove in the leg. Sean saved her and let Puck go first. Puck won the races, paid for the house, and asked for a job by Sean's boss.

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater is full action with some dramatic twists and turns. In my opinion the book was a bit to long. I would recommend the book to people who love horses. The book does have a bit of romance in it and a few bad words. It is confusing in the beginning but gets better to understand in the middle and end. The book also has a good rising action, climax, and falling action. I think all of Maggie Stiefvater's books are great. Especially this one. ( )
  AlishaM.B3 | Sep 20, 2014 |
To Marian, who sees horses in her dreams
It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die. (Prologue: Nine Years Earlier: Sean)
People say my brothers would be lost without me, but really, I'd be lost without them. (Chapter One: Puck)
You only have to be the fastest of those who are left.
It's easy to convince men to love you, Puck. All you have to do is be a mountain they have to climb or a poem they don't understand. Something that makes them feel strong or clever. It's why they love the ocean.
My mother always said that I was born out of a bottle of vinegar instead of born from a womb and that she and my father bathed me in sugar for three days to wash it off. I try to behave, but I always go back to the vinegar.
The evening sun loves her throat and her cheekbones. (p. 359)
I feel the island underneath me and Sean's mouth on my lips, and I wonder if luck will be on our side today. (p. 373)

Capaill uisce are
Race horses with a difference:
Fast and furious.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054522490X, Hardcover)

Product Description
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Shiver and Linger comes a brand new, heart-stopping novel.

With her trademark lyricism, Maggie Stiefvater turns to a new world, where a pair are swept up in a daring, dangerous race across a cliff--with more than just their lives at stake should they lose.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:04 -0400)

Nineteen-year-old returning champion Sean Kendrick competes against Puck Connolly, the first girl ever to ride in the annual Scorpio Races, both trying to keep hold of their dangerous water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,092,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible