The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races (edition 2011)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Collections:Children's Literature, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Celtic

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

English (215)  Spanish (1)  All (216)
I was not expecting all these emotions about horses, Maggie Stiefvater. How dare you. How dare you make me cry. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
I like the concept of water horses. I appreciated that Steivfater did not say "there is only one way to love a homeland". I liked the descriptions on the November cakes. My only problem was that it seemed to drag on in the middle. I skipped ahead to read the final race after about 40%. I did go back and read the rest, but I didn't really feel like I missed anything the first time through the ending. Not sure what that says about the writing. Maybe it just says something about my impatience with young romance. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
Review to come ( )
  Shadow494 | Oct 16, 2016 |
Riders compete to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Puck Connolly is the first girl to ever ride in the Scorpio Races. It is a story of love and life and survival.
  JimStork | Jul 21, 2016 |
To Marian, who sees horses in her dreams
It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die. (Prologue: Nine Years Earlier: Sean)
People say my brothers would be lost without me, but really, I'd be lost without them. (Chapter One: Puck)
You only have to be the fastest of those who are left.
It's easy to convince men to love you, Puck. All you have to do is be a mountain they have to climb or a poem they don't understand. Something that makes them feel strong or clever. It's why they love the ocean.
My mother always said that I was born out of a bottle of vinegar instead of born from a womb and that she and my father bathed me in sugar for three days to wash it off. I try to behave, but I always go back to the vinegar.
The evening sun loves her throat and her cheekbones. (p. 359)
I feel the island underneath me and Sean's mouth on my lips, and I wonder if luck will be on our side today. (p. 373)

Capaill uisce are
Race horses with a difference:
Fast and furious.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054522490X, Hardcover)

Product Description
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Shiver and Linger comes a brand new, heart-stopping novel.

With her trademark lyricism, Maggie Stiefvater turns to a new world, where a pair are swept up in a daring, dangerous race across a cliff--with more than just their lives at stake should they lose.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:33 -0400)

Nineteen-year-old returning champion Sean Kendrick competes against Puck Connolly, the first girl ever to ride in the annual Scorpio Races, both trying to keep hold of their dangerous water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,833,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible