Arguably by Christopher Hitchens

Arguably (2011)

by Christopher Hitchens

Recently added byArick, OxHums, caledonbooks, rph, vegetrendian, slayer72, markbell, private library

I give this collection of essays five stars not because I agree with everything Hitchens writes, but because the prose is just so appealing, so unabashedly readable and yet so deeply intellectual, all at the same time. Someone should give a copy of Hitchens's essays to every academic writer and intellectual in the world--maybe then they will realize that you don't have to be incomprehensibly dense in your prose to write about complex subjects. ( )
  poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |

This is a book you are supposed to like and Christopher Hitchens is an author you are supposed to be provoked and inspired by. But the essays here were so hit or miss - the section on the middle east was excellent but the section on linguistics was dull. And the book reviews were likewise very hit or miss. A nice book to have on your kindle for occasional reads but not something you ever want to sit down and just read thru. ( )
  lincolnpan | Dec 31, 2014 |
This is one I would like to buy. I have listened to every essay though. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
This is one I would like to buy. I have listened to every essay though. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
This was not my first foray into the work of Hitchens. I read God is Not Great as well as several Vanity Fair articles prior to this set of essays. This book, however, illuminated the huge gap in intellect between Hitchens and myself. Not a surprising discovery but rather humbling. Fortunately, Hitchens himself made some progress in closing that gap as I progressed through his 100+ essays from start to finish. Because nearly all of the literary references in the first third of the book were lost on me, it almost felt like I was reading a book written in a different language but that slowly dissipated as I moved along. For the casual reader of Hitchens, be prepared for a literary challenge but don't let that challenge stop you from getting to know this prolific writer and his thought-provoking opinions on literature, politics and religion. ( )
  kellifrobinson | Nov 25, 2014 |
So, having paid my dues to critical candor, I still find Hitchens one of the most stimulating thinkers and entertaining writers we have, even when — perhaps especially when — he provokes. And while he clearly wants to win you over, you always sense that he is playing in part to the jury of history, which is why so much of what he might, in a rare self-deprecating moment, refer to as hackwork stands up so well to ­anthologizing.

Hitchens is, and has been for many years, the mightiest knocker-down in argumentative journalism in the Anglophone world. This vast volume, containing ten years of argufying, is every bit as pugilistic, as unanswerable, as toughly rationalist, as unstoppable, as strenuously lived, as its many predecessors from his hand.

Christopher Hitchensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Live all you can: It's a mistake not to." - Lambert Strether, in The Ambassadors
To the memory of Mohemed Bouazizi, Abu-Abdel Monaam Hamedeh, and Ali Mehdi Zeu.
The three names on the dedication page belonged to a Tunisian steet vendor, and Egyptian restaurateur, and a Libyan husband and father.

Essayist Christopher Hitchens ruminates on why Charles Dickens was among the best of writers and the worst of men, the haunting science fiction of J.G. Ballard, the enduring legacies of Thomas Jefferson and George Orwell, the persistent agonies of anti-Semitism and jihad, the enduring relevance of Karl Marx, and how politics justifies itself by culture--and how the latter prompts the former.… (more)

257 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,710,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible