Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready

Authors:Jeri Smith-Ready
Info:Simon Pulse (2012), Paperback, 416 pages

Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready

Audiobook

A satisfactory end to a very entertaining and original series.
I can't wait to read (listen to) more books by Jeri Smith-Ready. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
JOY. JOOOOOOOOOY, for I have finally finished reading this. Just joy.

It was pretty awful from start to finish. It was 15% plot and 85% angst, melodrama, and nonsense. I'm only going to make a few quick points, because this book has already consumed too much of my life and I just want this to be over.

- As I roundabout stated in one of my status updates, classified information about a major event perpetuated by a super-secret agency is easily gleamed by our too-lucky heroine at a baseball game. Yah. She and some other secret agent just sit nearby the two clucking hen secret agents and listen to them talk about classified crap. How motherfucking convenient.

- A ridiculous amount of time is spent talking about Zachary, missing Zachary, loving Zachary, wanting to shag Zachary, actually shagging Zachary, worrying about Zachary, wondering about Zachary, trying to protect Zachary, trying to find Zachary, finding Zachary, etc./Zachary, etc./Zachary, etc./Zachary. In book #2, I really liked Zachary. In this book, I just wanted Zachary to die, so Aura would SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT ZACHARY. I know you love dude, but there has to be more to your universe, Aura! Oh wait...

- Leftover sadness, love, and blah, blah, blah about Logan, whom passed on in book 2, but whose memory must be inserted everywhere possible in book 3, so that we can feel angst and more angst. Whatever. Shut up.

- Why? Why do random people, who have no business hooking up, keep hooking up?! There are certain lines you do NOT cross and this is the second book where lines have been crossed. In book 2, Aura and Dylan hook up. Fucking gross and also, how dare you? Dylan, Aura is your dead brother's sole reason for existence! How could you cross that line? Aura, you're gross for hooking up with the little brother of your dead boyfriend, whom you purport to have loved immensely. wtf. The worst part was that all the other characters thought nothing of it, as if this was totally normal and acceptable. Anywho, that was book 2. In this book, there was one little comment inserted in the middle of some other shit that instantly tipped me off about what was to come, but how and why would you go there?! Dylan hooks up with Megan after a painful breakup with his older brother Mickey? WTF kind of leftover-snatching douchebag is Dylan? We never even hear from Mickey again and Aura sees nothing wrong with this jerky, douche-y hookup. Whatever. I'm done.

This book sucked. The first two were pretty good, though not great, but this book was trash. It took me forever to finish, because I never wanted to pick it up. I'd do anything to avoid reading it, but I couldn't DNF it, because I really wanted to know the outcome of, ya know, that pesky PLOT that would occasionally get in the way of all the nonsense. It didn't wrap up until the veeeery end and even then, it was a lackluster wrap-up with a lot of loose ends, like people that were important in the story who never got another mention. So, we're basically left to guess. Screw you. Enough.

I was gonna be nice and give this 2 stars, but after writing all of this, 1 star for you ! Vamoosh, awful book! Vamoosh! ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
This book was really good. It ended the trilogy perfectly. I love all the characters, and that's important in a book. Jeri did a great job with the whole trilogy. Aura is a strong character, and i loved her. I also love Zach of course, but i loved Logan too!I love the true love between Zach and Aura. I wonder what's going to happen in the future. If you didn't even read the first book yet, pick it up, you don't know what your missing. It wasn't my favorite series but I really enjoyed it. I never read anything like this before. Jeri-Smith Ready is a great author, and i look forward to seeing and reading more work from her. Overall, read this series because it is amazing! ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
There will be spoilers! This review is posted in full on my blog : (un)Conventional Bookviews

Oh my sweet goodness! The first chapter almost killed me! ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |

Seventeen-year-old Aura must decide between two loves--ghostly Logan and very alive Zachary, her Scottish research partner--as she tries to unlock the mysteries of the Shift and of her past.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,601,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible