Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready

Title:Shine
Authors:Jeri Smith-Ready
Info:Simon Pulse (2012), Paperback, 416 pages

Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready

JOY. JOOOOOOOOOY, for I have finally finished reading this. Just joy.

It was pretty awful from start to finish. It was 15% plot and 85% angst, melodrama, and nonsense. I'm only going to make a few quick points, because this book has already consumed too much of my life and I just want this to be over.

- As I roundabout stated in one of my status updates, classified information about a major event perpetuated by a super-secret agency is easily gleamed by our too-lucky heroine at a baseball game. Yah. She and some other secret agent just sit nearby the two clucking hen secret agents and listen to them talk about classified crap. How motherfucking convenient.

- A ridiculous amount of time is spent talking about Zachary, missing Zachary, loving Zachary, wanting to shag Zachary, actually shagging Zachary, worrying about Zachary, wondering about Zachary, trying to protect Zachary, trying to find Zachary, finding Zachary, etc./Zachary, etc./Zachary, etc./Zachary. In book #2, I really liked Zachary. In this book, I just wanted Zachary to die, so Aura would SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT ZACHARY. I know you love dude, but there has to be more to your universe, Aura! Oh wait...

- Leftover sadness, love, and blah, blah, blah about Logan, whom passed on in book 2, but whose memory must be inserted everywhere possible in book 3, so that we can feel angst and more angst. Whatever. Shut up.

- Why? Why do random people, who have no business hooking up, keep hooking up?! There are certain lines you do NOT cross and this is the second book where lines have been crossed. In book 2, Aura and Dylan hook up. Fucking gross and also, how dare you? Dylan, Aura is your dead brother's sole reason for existence! How could you cross that line? Aura, you're gross for hooking up with the little brother of your dead boyfriend, whom you purport to have loved immensely. wtf. The worst part was that all the other characters thought nothing of it, as if this was totally normal and acceptable. Anywho, that was book 2. In this book, there was one little comment inserted in the middle of some other shit that instantly tipped me off about what was to come, but how and why would you go there?! Dylan hooks up with Megan after a painful breakup with his older brother Mickey? WTF kind of leftover-snatching douchebag is Dylan? We never even hear from Mickey again and Aura sees nothing wrong with this jerky, douche-y hookup. Whatever. I'm done.

This book sucked. The first two were pretty good, though not great, but this book was trash. It took me forever to finish, because I never wanted to pick it up. I'd do anything to avoid reading it, but I couldn't DNF it, because I really wanted to know the outcome of, ya know, that pesky PLOT that would occasionally get in the way of all the nonsense. It didn't wrap up until the veeeery end and even then, it was a lackluster wrap-up with a lot of loose ends, like people that were important in the story who never got another mention. So, we're basically left to guess. Screw you. Enough.

I was gonna be nice and give this 2 stars, but after writing all of this, 1 star for you ! Vamoosh, awful book! Vamoosh! ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
This book was really good. It ended the trilogy perfectly. I love all the characters, and that's important in a book. Jeri did a great job with the whole trilogy. Aura is a strong character, and i loved her. I also love Zach of course, but i loved Logan too!I love the true love between Zach and Aura. I wonder what's going to happen in the future. If you didn't even read the first book yet, pick it up, you don't know what your missing. It wasn't my favorite series but I really enjoyed it. I never read anything like this before. Jeri-Smith Ready is a great author, and i look forward to seeing and reading more work from her. Overall, read this series because it is amazing! ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
There will be spoilers! This review is posted in full on my blog : (un)Conventional Bookviews

Oh my sweet goodness! The first chapter almost killed me! ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
This and other reviews can be found on Reading Between Classes

Cover Impressions: Meh. Not feeling the sleepy stare or washed out color.

The Gist: In Shine, Aura and Zach set out to solve the remaining mysteries of the Shift. Their efforts are hampered by the interference of the DMP, who are willing to go to extreme lengths in order to maintain control of both the ghost population and the teenagers that can see them.

Review: Boy oh boy, was this one ever hard. I really enjoyed the first two books in this series, but this one left me bored. Perhaps, part of the blame lies in the timing (I started the book just before returning to work after a year of maternity leave) but the rest has to lie with the book itself.

For a good chunk of this novel, Zach was being held by the DMP. With him out of the picture, I should have been able to see some quality Aura time and important development in the secondary characters. Instead, I got to watch Aura whine and her friends serve as little more than chauffeur or confident (allowing Aura to whine some more about Zach).

When they couple were finally reunited, I was treated to a vomit inducing love-fest as they discovered that sex was the most mystical and magical activity in the entire world. And, of course, being connected the way that they are, it was SUPER SPECIALLY MAGICAL and we needed to be reminded over and over and over. The frequent sex sessions (or the whining over not being able to touch each other for a few hours) interrupted an already suffering plot.

I found it difficult to keep the bad guys straight in this one. In the previous novels, we had one big bad government agency. In this one, it seems like there are multiple mysterious entities that want to use/kill Aura and Zach. I am normally fine with a little government conspiracy theory, but this one was incredibly confusing with the number of players and, eventually, I just stopped trying to figure out who was doing what.

This series was never really one that I would put in my classroom, however the sexual behavior is seriously amped up in this installment and I definitely would not recommend it for my junior high students.

Teaching/Parental Notes:

Age: 16 and up
Gender: Female
Sex: LOTS!
Violence: Gunplay, Knifeplay, Torture by Isolation
Inappropriate Language: Fuck, Bullshit, Slutty, Bitch, Jesus, Dick, Bastards, Shit, Piss
Substance Use/Abuse: Drinking ( )
  ZabetReading | Mar 31, 2013 |

Seventeen-year-old Aura must decide between two loves--ghostly Logan and very alive Zachary, her Scottish research partner--as she tries to unlock the mysteries of the Shift and of her past.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,049,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible