The Duke's Perfect Wife (Berkley…

The Duke's Perfect Wife (Berkley Sensation) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer Ashley

1901962,147 (3.93)1
Member:reesa00
Title:The Duke's Perfect Wife (Berkley Sensation)
Authors:Jennifer Ashley
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:romance, historical romance, 1880s, england, scotland, series, highland pleasure

The Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer Ashley

another good mackenzie book - this time about the oldest brother Hart and Eleanor. The only part that was a little way out was the little bit of Fifty Shades of Gray type stuff toward the end - which was weird. But otherwise good book ( )
  afarrington | Feb 26, 2016 |
I really liked it. I was hoping there would be more erotica, but that's okay. It was a really nice story and I enjoyed reading it very much! ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
I'm ripping through these romance novels. The Duke's Perfect Wife which I finished today, had a great older brother/little brother relationship - that spanned the two books. In the first book The Madness of Lord Ian McKenzie - we see the relationship from the younger brother's perspective and the older brother, Hart, is portrayed as control freak and part of the mystery is if he is a villain, who is using his brother and blocking his happiness. (He's not). In the second book, we learn the lengths Hart has gone to to save his brother's life and his tremendous guilt for not doing it quickly enough, as well as the price he paid for saving his brothers from his father's rage. Ian realizing his brother's misery, goes out of his way to bring Hart and Hart's lost love Eleanor together. The romance between Eleanor and Hart, much like Ian and Beth in the first book, in some respects is almost secondary to the relationship between Hart and Ian, which is what made both books insteresting and different.

The sex scenes didn't make any sense. The writer is great at dialogue, but not so much as descriptive action or sex scenes. Realized recently the plus side of action/fight scenes over sex scenes...and why they are easier to read and write - there's at least an element of suspense - you don't know who will win.

Wish the book was slightly better written and the writer showed us the backstory between the brothers, as opposed to told it to us. It would have been more powerful I think if we saw it happening as it enfolded as opposed to summarized flashbacks.
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Eleanor era terrible acosadora!! Tenía un libro con recortes y seguimientos periodísticos, cartas y demás de HART, Y FOTOS DE ÉL DESNUDO!! Lo peor de todo es que cuando él le pide que, por favor, tire esas fotos que fueron distribuidas sin su consentimiento y lo averguenzan (el era joven y sus fotos privadas, está claramente en su derecho de pedir que se lo respete), ella se niega todas las veces!!!! Se imaginan si hubiese sido al revés, si las fotos fueran de ella, y él, el acosador?? HORROR, gritarían todos!!

Lamentable esta actitud, esta doble moral, y lo peor es que la mayoría ni se da cuenta.

Hasta ese momento, la novela se desarrollaba decentemente: la pareja tenía química (mucha, mucha química) y el misterio era más o menos atrapante; hasta me intrigaba saber si la autora iba a lograr el cometido de ablandar (o al menos intentar que al lector le cayera bien) al más insoportable de los hermanos Mackenzies. Sin embargo, a pesar de que todo venía bien (casi increiblemente bien), el librito misterioso y stalker lo arruinó todo. No fue romántico en absoluto; es más, si prestan atención, casi pueden escuchar Every breath you take de fondo.

A pesar de todo eso, el flashback que muestra la pelea entre los dos protagonistas, con sus razones correspondientes, me pareció lo mejor de la novela; una muestra de carácter fuerte en una protagonista mayormente aburrida (y loca, obvio). Esa escena casi se gana mi simpatía. Casi.

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Listened for fun (Audible)
Tracking Books Read Review (Short)
Overall Rating: 4·25
Story Rating: 4·00
Character Rating: 4·50

Audio Rating: 4·50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: The Duke's Perfect Wife was fantastic. I loved Eleanor!

Overall Thoughts: I loved Hart and Eleanor's story. I knew that I was going to love Eleanor because she was so straight spoken. She just said what she thought and she said it with style. She didn't let Hart run all over her but she was very real with herself about her feelings. I like how the 2nd half of the story played out. It was perfect for them. I have pretty much plowed through the first 4 books in this series in a matter of weeks. They are that good!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Angela Dawe / Length: 11 hrs and 7 mins

Broken record alert: Angela rocks! She does a fantastic job with this series. I highly recommend listening to them.

Final Thoughts: I am excited to get to the rest of the series. ( )
  thehistorychic | Jan 19, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to my parents: To my father, whom I lost this year, and to my mother, who is stronger than she knows. Thank you for all your encouragement, patience, and love.
Hart Mackenzie. It was said the he knew every pleasure a woman desired and exactly how to give it to her.

Lady Eleanor Ramsay is the only one who knows the truth about Hart Mackenzie. Once his fiancee, she is the sole woman to whom he could ever pour out his heart.

Hart has it all--a dukedom, wealth, power, influence, whatever he desires. Every woman wants him--his seductive skills are legendary. But Hart has sacrificed much to keep his brothers safe, first from their brutal father, and then from the world. He's also suffered loss--his wife, his infant son, and the woman he loved with all his heart though he realized it too late.

Now, Eleanor has reappeared on Hart's doorstep, with scandalous nude photographs of Hart taken long ago. Intrigued by the challenge in her blue eyes--and aroused by her charming, no-nonsense determination--Hart wonders if his young love has come to ruin him . . . or save him.

Book Four of the Highland Pleasures (Mackenzies) series.

-back cover

When Lady Eleanor Ramsay, his former fiancee, arrives at his doorstep with scandalous nude pictures of him taken long ago, Hart Mackenie, who has sacrificed everything to keep his brothers safe, wonders if she has come to ruin him - or save him.

54 wanted1 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible