The Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer Ashley

1921861,769 (3.9)1
Member:JulesJones
Title:The Duke's Perfect Wife
Authors:Jennifer Ashley (Author)
Info:Berkley Sensation the Berkley Publishing Group a division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc 375 Hudson Street, New York, New York 10014
Rating:***1/2
Tags:paperback, fiction, romance, Victorian, Scottish, series, Highland Quartet

The Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer Ashley

The Duke's Perfect Wife
4.5 Stars

Synopsis
Hart Mackenzie, Duke of Kilmorgan, has it all - power, wealth, influence and any woman he desires except for the only one he truly wants: his former fiancee, Eleanor Ramsey. Despite knowing the truth about Hart, Eleanor has never stopped loving him and when someone sends her scandalous photos of the duke, she doesn't think twice before going to him with an offer he can't possibly refuse.

Review
The rekindled romance is similar to Mac and Isabella's story but the flashbacks to Hart and Eleanor's relationship are more detailed and satisfying.

Hart and Eleanor are an excellent couple and the sparks certainly fly between them. Eleanor's feisty and independent nature make her the best heroine in the series thus far, and the insights into Hart's personality and how he grows and changes throughout the book are a definite highlight.

It is also great to catch up with the characters from earlier books and see how each couple is faring. Ian, in particular, plays a significant role in the story and he will always hold a special place in my heart.

Unfortunately, the rest of the plot is problematic as revolves around three separate issues (the photographs, the Fenian plot and Hart's darker sexual needs). All have potential but none are fully fleshed out or resolved well.

The next book is Elliot McBride's (Ainsley's brother) and although we know little about him, I am intrigued by his experiences in India. Daniel's book is also tantalizing but I am particularly interested in Fellowes who may get his own HEA with Isabella's sister, Louisa. It seems that only time will tell. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
another good mackenzie book - this time about the oldest brother Hart and Eleanor. The only part that was a little way out was the little bit of Fifty Shades of Gray type stuff toward the end - which was weird. But otherwise good book ( )
  afarrington | Feb 26, 2016 |
I really liked it. I was hoping there would be more erotica, but that's okay. It was a really nice story and I enjoyed reading it very much! ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
I'm ripping through these romance novels. The Duke's Perfect Wife which I finished today, had a great older brother/little brother relationship - that spanned the two books. In the first book The Madness of Lord Ian McKenzie - we see the relationship from the younger brother's perspective and the older brother, Hart, is portrayed as control freak and part of the mystery is if he is a villain, who is using his brother and blocking his happiness. (He's not). In the second book, we learn the lengths Hart has gone to to save his brother's life and his tremendous guilt for not doing it quickly enough, as well as the price he paid for saving his brothers from his father's rage. Ian realizing his brother's misery, goes out of his way to bring Hart and Hart's lost love Eleanor together. The romance between Eleanor and Hart, much like Ian and Beth in the first book, in some respects is almost secondary to the relationship between Hart and Ian, which is what made both books insteresting and different.

The sex scenes didn't make any sense. The writer is great at dialogue, but not so much as descriptive action or sex scenes. Realized recently the plus side of action/fight scenes over sex scenes...and why they are easier to read and write - there's at least an element of suspense - you don't know who will win.

Wish the book was slightly better written and the writer showed us the backstory between the brothers, as opposed to told it to us. It would have been more powerful I think if we saw it happening as it enfolded as opposed to summarized flashbacks.
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Eleanor era terrible acosadora!! Tenía un libro con recortes y seguimientos periodísticos, cartas y demás de HART, Y FOTOS DE ÉL DESNUDO!! Lo peor de todo es que cuando él le pide que, por favor, tire esas fotos que fueron distribuidas sin su consentimiento y lo averguenzan (el era joven y sus fotos privadas, está claramente en su derecho de pedir que se lo respete), ella se niega todas las veces!!!! Se imaginan si hubiese sido al revés, si las fotos fueran de ella, y él, el acosador?? HORROR, gritarían todos!!

Lamentable esta actitud, esta doble moral, y lo peor es que la mayoría ni se da cuenta.

Hasta ese momento, la novela se desarrollaba decentemente: la pareja tenía química (mucha, mucha química) y el misterio era más o menos atrapante; hasta me intrigaba saber si la autora iba a lograr el cometido de ablandar (o al menos intentar que al lector le cayera bien) al más insoportable de los hermanos Mackenzies. Sin embargo, a pesar de que todo venía bien (casi increiblemente bien), el librito misterioso y stalker lo arruinó todo. No fue romántico en absoluto; es más, si prestan atención, casi pueden escuchar Every breath you take de fondo.

A pesar de todo eso, el flashback que muestra la pelea entre los dos protagonistas, con sus razones correspondientes, me pareció lo mejor de la novela; una muestra de carácter fuerte en una protagonista mayormente aburrida (y loca, obvio). Esa escena casi se gana mi simpatía. Casi.

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to my parents: To my father, whom I lost this year, and to my mother, who is stronger than she knows. Thank you for all your encouragement, patience, and love.
Hart Mackenzie. It was said the he knew every pleasure a woman desired and exactly how to give it to her.

Lady Eleanor Ramsay is the only one who knows the truth about Hart Mackenzie. Once his fiancee, she is the sole woman to whom he could ever pour out his heart.

Hart has it all--a dukedom, wealth, power, influence, whatever he desires. Every woman wants him--his seductive skills are legendary. But Hart has sacrificed much to keep his brothers safe, first from their brutal father, and then from the world. He's also suffered loss--his wife, his infant son, and the woman he loved with all his heart though he realized it too late.

Now, Eleanor has reappeared on Hart's doorstep, with scandalous nude photographs of Hart taken long ago. Intrigued by the challenge in her blue eyes--and aroused by her charming, no-nonsense determination--Hart wonders if his young love has come to ruin him . . . or save him.

Book Four of the Highland Pleasures (Mackenzies) series.

-back cover

When Lady Eleanor Ramsay, his former fiancee, arrives at his doorstep with scandalous nude pictures of him taken long ago, Hart Mackenie, who has sacrificed everything to keep his brothers safe, wonders if she has come to ruin him - or save him.

54 wanted1 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,898,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible