Girls in White Dresses (Vintage…

Girls in White Dresses (Vintage Contemporaries) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer Close

Member:CarterPJ
Title:Girls in White Dresses (Vintage Contemporaries)
Authors:Jennifer Close
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***

Girls In White Dresses by Jennifer Close

I don't love the writing style of this book, but somewhere along the way I got really into it. The characters and they're situations are very relatable and I found myself getting more invested in it than I thought I would. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This book was almost like reading a collection of short stories where the characters were united. It was well written and compelling but also fun to read. I would highly recommend it! ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
While there were some funny parts, a lot of the book left me feeling sorry for these girls who had so little sense of who they were. Instead they just seemed to drift in the wind, into and out of relationships and jobs. And I had a hard time keeping track of which character did what - there wasn't a lot to distinguish between the three friends. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Sep 4, 2015 |
I tried to use this book like a palate cleanser, kind of a break between heavier books. It functioned in that role. ( )
  annadanz | Jul 5, 2015 |
I didn't love this book. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307596850, Hardcover)

J. Courtney Sullivan Reviews Girls in White Dresses

J. Courtney Sullivan is the author of two New York Times bestselling novels, Maine and Commencement. Her writing has appeared in The New York Times Book Review, The Wall Street Journal, The Chicago Tribune, and New York magazine, among others. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.

Like a lot of women in America, I was awake at 4 a.m. on April 29th. But unlike the rest, I wasn’t waiting to see Kate Middleton walk down the aisle. I was reading Girls in White Dresses.

This hilarious, pitch-perfect debut more or less took over my life for three glorious days. I cancelled dinners, ignored deadlines and went without sleep, all because I could not stop reading it.

The author introduces an unforgettable cast of characters who navigate post-college life in the city. I laughed a lot while reading this novel, nodded knowingly, and occasionally wondered if Jennifer Close had been secretly reading my emails for the past ten years.

Any woman who has been a twenty-something can relate: There are first jobs (“Isabella knew [her boss] thought the Greek salad was super healthy, and for that she pitied him.”) First homes (“They hung mirrors on the walls to make the apartment seem bigger.”) First weddings (“You never want to be the first one of your friends to get married. If you are, just resign yourself to the fact that your wedding will be a sh-t show.”)

With wit and wisdom, Close captures every little detail of New York life in one’s twenties; that decade that so often begins with late nights out and ill-advised infatuations, yet somehow ends with bridal showers and babies and mothers-in-law named Button. Close leads her characters from the days of living together in cramped apartments straight through to a time when life has gotten hectic, obligations have increased, and a stolen weekend away at a beach house is the only bonding time they get.

Through it all--through drunken nights and hungover mornings, evil bosses, cancelled engagements, and that time Mary lost her mind and named her newborn baby Gertrude for three days--their friendships remain a constant.

Girls in White Dresses is reminiscent of Melissa Bank’s The Girls’ Guide to Hunting and Fishing, but at the same time it’s a total original, perfectly reflecting the events of recent years: One character loses her boyfriend to a charismatic political candidate, campaigning on hope and change. Another gets married the same weekend that the King of Pop dies, and her wedding turns into a Michael Jackson tribute concert.

Only once in a very blue moon does a book captivate me as much as this one did. Read it immediately and prepare to be up all night.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:58 -0400)

Attending an endless series of bridal showers for their friend Kristi, three bridesmaids struggle with private challenges, including Isabella's unhappiness at a job where she is nevertheless very successful, Mary's relationship with a man who prioritizes his mother, and Lauren's attraction to a man she despises.… (more)

283 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,146,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible