Girls in White Dresses (Vintage…

Girls in White Dresses (Vintage Contemporaries) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer Close

Member:CarterPJ
Title:Girls in White Dresses (Vintage Contemporaries)
Authors:Jennifer Close
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***

Girls In White Dresses by Jennifer Close

Meh. ( )
  MsNick | Jul 22, 2013 |
Though funny at parts, and definitely honest and insightful, I would not recommend unless you feel like you can really relate to the characters - otherwise it was rather boring. The good news is, it's a pretty quick read, so even if you don't like it it'll be over quickly. ( )
  Kelsey-C | Apr 30, 2013 |
I am too old to read 20 something books. ( )
  shazjhb | Apr 25, 2013 |
Read on July 31, 2011

Sometimes I'm really happy to not have a lot of friends because I can't afford gifts for all the showers, weddings, and babies.

This was a great pool day book...smart chick lit. A little Sex & the City, a little Bridget Jones, and a perfect snapshot of life in your twenties. ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 8, 2013 |
I'm on page 47. Can anyone who's read it tell me if it gets any better? So far it has been straight narration - Lauren said this, Mary studied for law school, Ellen dated this guy, Isabella moved there. It feels incredibly superficial, there is nothing to connect with. Does it continue this way or does it develop into something more?
Okay, none of my Goodreads friends have read/reviewed this, but none of the other reviews are glowing, to put it nicely. I'm done. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307596850, Hardcover)

J. Courtney Sullivan Reviews Girls in White Dresses

J. Courtney Sullivan is the author of two New York Times bestselling novels, Maine and Commencement. Her writing has appeared in The New York Times Book Review, The Wall Street Journal, The Chicago Tribune, and New York magazine, among others. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.

Like a lot of women in America, I was awake at 4 a.m. on April 29th. But unlike the rest, I wasn’t waiting to see Kate Middleton walk down the aisle. I was reading Girls in White Dresses.

This hilarious, pitch-perfect debut more or less took over my life for three glorious days. I cancelled dinners, ignored deadlines and went without sleep, all because I could not stop reading it.

The author introduces an unforgettable cast of characters who navigate post-college life in the city. I laughed a lot while reading this novel, nodded knowingly, and occasionally wondered if Jennifer Close had been secretly reading my emails for the past ten years.

Any woman who has been a twenty-something can relate: There are first jobs (“Isabella knew [her boss] thought the Greek salad was super healthy, and for that she pitied him.”) First homes (“They hung mirrors on the walls to make the apartment seem bigger.”) First weddings (“You never want to be the first one of your friends to get married. If you are, just resign yourself to the fact that your wedding will be a sh-t show.”)

With wit and wisdom, Close captures every little detail of New York life in one’s twenties; that decade that so often begins with late nights out and ill-advised infatuations, yet somehow ends with bridal showers and babies and mothers-in-law named Button. Close leads her characters from the days of living together in cramped apartments straight through to a time when life has gotten hectic, obligations have increased, and a stolen weekend away at a beach house is the only bonding time they get.

Through it all--through drunken nights and hungover mornings, evil bosses, cancelled engagements, and that time Mary lost her mind and named her newborn baby Gertrude for three days--their friendships remain a constant.

Girls in White Dresses is reminiscent of Melissa Bank’s The Girls’ Guide to Hunting and Fishing, but at the same time it’s a total original, perfectly reflecting the events of recent years: One character loses her boyfriend to a charismatic political candidate, campaigning on hope and change. Another gets married the same weekend that the King of Pop dies, and her wedding turns into a Michael Jackson tribute concert.

Only once in a very blue moon does a book captivate me as much as this one did. Read it immediately and prepare to be up all night.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:18 -0400)

Attending an endless series of bridal showers for their friend Kristi, three bridesmaids struggle with private challenges, including Isabella's unhappiness at a job where she is nevertheless very successful, Mary's relationship with a man who prioritizes his mother, and Lauren's attraction to a man she despises.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible