Mad mouse by Chris Grabenstein

by Chris Grabenstein

Member:tymfos
Title:Mad mouse
Authors:Chris Grabenstein
Info:New York : [Berkeley, Calif.] : Carroll & Graf ; Distributed by Publishers Group West, 2006.
Collections:Your library, E books
Tags:John Ceepak #2, mystery, fiction, New Jersey, Jersey Shore

Mad Mouse by Chris Grabenstein

Mad Mouse by Chris Grabenstein is the second book in his crime series that features Danny Boyle and John Ceepak. Danny is the narrator, young and likeable, the story unfolds through his eyes. As a part-time summer cop, he works with Detective John Ceepak and together they keep both the beach and the boardwalk at Sea Haven, a New Jersey beach town, safe for the tourists and locals alike. Danny has grown up in Sea Haven, his friends are there and he appears to be in transition from party boy to responsible adult. He couldn’t have a better role model than John Ceepak. Unfortunately it appears that Danny has left at least one enemy in his wake.

Whether it’s rescuing a wheelchair bound kid from bullies or solving a serious crime, John Ceepak always goes by his code of honor. As a previous solider he is loyal to a fault, always there to help Danny, back him up in tricky situations and impart some life lessons along the way. John Ceepak reminds me of the cartoon character of Dudley Do-Right, but the witty, perceptive way in which he is presented raises this book above cartoon level.

Mad Mouse is very much like the carnival ride it is named after. A wild ride with both a quick pace to the plot and the dialogue. Sheer entertainment with lots of twists and turns, this book was a fun read. However there is more to this book than laughs, it has a dark side with violence and murder as well. A different and well presented series and it’s obvious the author enjoys his time spent in Sea Haven as much as his readers do. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Dec 20, 2014 |
It's fluffy and light like spun sugar. I guess the Ceepak series is starting to grow on me, even though it's not brilliant, I raced though this in under 2 days. It really was fast paced, even though the storyline ended up being somewhat unrealistiic. The writing itself is quite good and you do get a sense of the various characters who inhabit Sea Haven.

The story won't stay with you for any length of time, but if you're seeking an entertaining diversion or taking a break between more weighty reading, this series might do the trick. ( )
  Zumbanista | Oct 28, 2014 |
Another fun story featuring the morally upstanding Joe Ceepak, and his sidekick Danny Boyle as they solve another brutal crime in seaside New Jersey. This series is one that is developing with each episode. I look forward to more. ( )
  tututhefirst | Jan 20, 2014 |
This is one of those books that I think the reader makes. I'm not sure if I would be as enthusiastic if reading the book. Jeff Woodman just captures the wacky humor of the naive Boyle and Ceepak, the almost too-good-to-be-true cop and mentor. The titles of all the books are named after rides at the mythical Sea Haven amusement park.

In this one, someone is targeting Danny and his friends, first with paint balls, then bullets. The mystery is OK, the story fine, but what really makes this series (and I intend to read /listen to all of them is the very clever and often witty dialogue between the characters. Just a lot of fun.

Not for those who like quiche with their Proust, just us regular folks who enjoy love a good cheeseburger dripping in grease followed by a fudge sundae. I recommend getting the audio. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Rating: 3.75* of five

The Publisher Says: It's almost Labor Day, and the end of summer could mean the end of someone's life in this exciting sequel to Chris Grabenstein's Tilt-a-Whirl. Young Danny Boyle, the part-time summer cop "down the shore" in Sea Haven, New Jersey, gets taken on a wild ride when he and his longtime beach buddies become the unwitting targets of a mad-man's twisted scheme for revenge. Fortunately, John Ceepak, the cop with a soldier's unshakeable code of honor, stays at Danny's side to help him negotiate the quick twists and turns that threaten to destroy his life, his friends, and everything about the world he loves. Whipping from the boardwalk to the beach and back again, Mad Mouse keeps zigging and zagging at a breakneck pace, all the way to the surprising finish.

My Review: Second verse, same as the first/Coulda got better....

I enjoyed the time off from the troubling events I'm seeing develop at Goodreads. I hid myself in this enjoyable, light-weight read...

...and *whammo* got the boom lowered on me. Every one of us has done things that, had we known what we were doing at the time, would never have been put into action. Fortunately for most of us, the people we've hurt or mistreated don't come after us with sniper weapons in hand and murder at heart. Danny Boyle, the cool kid from school who never left the town he grew up in, has some of those and here they come with guns and murder all at the ready.

Grabenstein's writing is smooth, very easy on the eyes and ears, and carefully crafted. He chooses the scenes of his story with a very practiced and able eye. He offers an interesting angle of view. But the impact of the story is never in doubt, since his main character is the one in the sniper's crosshairs. Readers of Tilt-A-Whirl are already invested in Danny, and those who start here are probably not that far behind.

In the end, though, after going on the ride with Danny, it's the perp that leaves one almost breathless in horror, pity, fear, loathing. It's all so, so pointless. Except to the unhappy victim. And I don't, this time, mean Danny or his friends.

Very affecting.

What worked less well for me was the grafted-on feeling that the romance, which apparently blew up overnight, left me with; the Ceepak presence was deployed in an oddly spotty manner, feeling not exactly perfunctory but less personal than in the first book; and the new character Buzz was, well, here I can say it, perfunctory. Quick strokes, convenient presence, but not integral or maybe integrated, into the action.

A series I will pursue, no doubt, and with pleasure. Just a few clouds in the sunshiney sky. Nothing to suggest even a rain shower, still less a storm. I like finding myself in Sea Haven, and that says a lot.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. ( )
  richardderus | Sep 22, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786719362, Paperback)

John Ceepak and Danny Boyle gets caught in a mad man's twisted scheme for revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:57 -0400)

"It's almost Labor Day, and the end of summer could mean the end of someone's life." "Young Danny Boyle, the part-time summer cop "down the shore" in Sea Haven, New Jersey, gets taken on a wild ride when he and his longtime beach buddies become the unwitting targets of a madman's twisted scheme for revenge. Fortunately, John Ceepak, the cop with a soldier's unshakable code of honor, stays at Danny's side to help him negotiate the quick twists and turns that threaten to destroy his life, his friends, and everything about the world he loves."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

11 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,443,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible