The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton

The Mind Readers (edition 2010)

by Lori Brighton

Member:starryeyedheart
Title:The Mind Readers
Authors:Lori Brighton
Info:Lori Brighton (2010), Kindle Edition, 207 pages
Rating:*****

The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton

Cameron trusts handsome Lewis, who assures her he can take her to a safe house where her abilities won’t matter and she can be trained to use them. Tired of hiding behind the facade of “acting normal” insisted upon by her grandmother, Cameron leaves with Lewis only to find that the safe house he promised her is really a house of horrors. Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/the-mind-readers-lori-brighto... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I read the whole series in just a few short weeks. I love how the author used her creativity in this novel. The whole mindreading theme was great. Keep writing Mrs. Brighton! ( )
  joni127 | Sep 12, 2014 |
Okay read, but very disappointing in the ending. In fact, I was very frustrated. So much so, that I won't bother with the rest of the series. ( )
  gogglemiss | Jul 31, 2014 |
Amazon Description:
Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows the truth …that Cameron can read minds. For years Cameron has hidden behind a facade of normalcy, warned that there are those who would do her harm. When gorgeous and mysterious Lewis Douglas arrives he destroys everything Cameron has ever believed and tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a secret haven with Lewis; a place where she meets others like her, Mind Readers.
But as Cameron soon finds out some things are too good to be true. When the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron’s abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs. Cameron suddenly finds herself involved in a war in which her idea of what is right and wrong is greatly tested. In the end she’ll be forced to make a choice that will not only threaten her relationship with Lewis, but her very life.
Best for ages 14 and over.

Opinions:
The Mind Readers is about a seventeen year old girl who has the gift of mind reading. Cameron lives with her grandmother who can also mind read (but is better at controlling her powers.) With normal stresses of a teenager, Cameron's ability can sometimes add to it rather than help. However, she soon meets Lewis who offers her a chance to learn about her abilities and achieve control/grow them. He knows of a man named Aaron – who also knew her father – that will help. She leaves to the security of Aaron's mansion where he helps children with their abilities. But, not everything is as it seems. This is the first book in the Mind Readers series.

Characters:
The story is written in first person following Cameron – a mind reader. She tries living a normal teenager life, but it is not very easy. She must keep her mind reading a secret even against her friends. She soon falls for Lewis who offers her a chance to learn about her abilities. Lewis has his own abilities and gains the trust of Cameron. He wants to protect her from people that capture and use mind readers. He takes her to Aaron who helped him. Aaron, the man who teaches mind reading children, lives in a mansion on an island outside of Maine. He is surprised with Cameron's abilities and helps her learn how to block thoughts – reading others and projecting her own. There are also a few other children at the mansion with abilities, as well as, a secret person in the basement.

Plot:
The plot moved along well and there is a good climax for the ending. Trust is a major issue throughout the book. One thing I was a little fuzzy with (whether it was supposed to be like this or not) was Cameron's and Lewis's relationship. As things go on in the book, I was surprised at Cameron's feelings and thoughts were at some points with the relationship. I won't say more due to spoilers. I also would have liked to see more of the other children and their tales in the story.

The Bottom Line:
Overall, I enjoyed the book. If you like paranormal/young adult books, you might want to give this book a try. ( )
  Maria1010 | Jul 4, 2013 |
This book was definitely interesting but I doubt that I would seek out the rest of the series. This book left me with the over all sense that I just read a very long forward to some other book. Disappointing. ( )
  VirginiaGill | Jan 5, 2013 |

Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows the truth ... that Cameron can read minds. For years Cameron has hidden behind a facade of normalcy, warned that there are those who would do her harm. When gorgeous and mysterious Lewis Douglas arrives he destroys everything Cameron has ever believed and tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a secret haven with Lewis; a place where she meets others like her, Mind Readers. But as Cameron soon finds out some things are too good to be true. When the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron's abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs. Cameron suddenly finds herself involved in a war in which her idea of what is right and wrong is greatly tested. In the end she'll be forced to make a choice that will not only threaten her relationship with Lewis, but her very life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible