The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton

The Mind Readers (edition 2010)

by Lori Brighton

Member:starryeyedheart
Title:The Mind Readers
Authors:Lori Brighton
Info:Lori Brighton (2010), Kindle Edition, 207 pages
Rating:*****

The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton

Okay read, but very disappointing in the ending. In fact, I was very frustrated. So much so, that I won't bother with the rest of the series. ( )
  gogglemiss | Jul 31, 2014 |
Amazon Description:
Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows the truth …that Cameron can read minds. For years Cameron has hidden behind a facade of normalcy, warned that there are those who would do her harm. When gorgeous and mysterious Lewis Douglas arrives he destroys everything Cameron has ever believed and tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a secret haven with Lewis; a place where she meets others like her, Mind Readers.
But as Cameron soon finds out some things are too good to be true. When the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron’s abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs. Cameron suddenly finds herself involved in a war in which her idea of what is right and wrong is greatly tested. In the end she’ll be forced to make a choice that will not only threaten her relationship with Lewis, but her very life.
Best for ages 14 and over.

Opinions:
The Mind Readers is about a seventeen year old girl who has the gift of mind reading. Cameron lives with her grandmother who can also mind read (but is better at controlling her powers.) With normal stresses of a teenager, Cameron's ability can sometimes add to it rather than help. However, she soon meets Lewis who offers her a chance to learn about her abilities and achieve control/grow them. He knows of a man named Aaron – who also knew her father – that will help. She leaves to the security of Aaron's mansion where he helps children with their abilities. But, not everything is as it seems. This is the first book in the Mind Readers series.

Characters:
The story is written in first person following Cameron – a mind reader. She tries living a normal teenager life, but it is not very easy. She must keep her mind reading a secret even against her friends. She soon falls for Lewis who offers her a chance to learn about her abilities. Lewis has his own abilities and gains the trust of Cameron. He wants to protect her from people that capture and use mind readers. He takes her to Aaron who helped him. Aaron, the man who teaches mind reading children, lives in a mansion on an island outside of Maine. He is surprised with Cameron's abilities and helps her learn how to block thoughts – reading others and projecting her own. There are also a few other children at the mansion with abilities, as well as, a secret person in the basement.

Plot:
The plot moved along well and there is a good climax for the ending. Trust is a major issue throughout the book. One thing I was a little fuzzy with (whether it was supposed to be like this or not) was Cameron's and Lewis's relationship. As things go on in the book, I was surprised at Cameron's feelings and thoughts were at some points with the relationship. I won't say more due to spoilers. I also would have liked to see more of the other children and their tales in the story.

The Bottom Line:
Overall, I enjoyed the book. If you like paranormal/young adult books, you might want to give this book a try. ( )
  Maria1010 | Jul 4, 2013 |
This book was definitely interesting but I doubt that I would seek out the rest of the series. This book left me with the over all sense that I just read a very long forward to some other book. Disappointing. ( )
  VirginiaGill | Jan 5, 2013 |
Usually, I’d preferred to read books in traditional paperback or hardcover, unfortunately, the hard truth is that they are plenty more expensive than e-books. So as I was debating on “what” and “how” to spend the remaining of my summer days, I decided to browse through kindle books; and came up with The Mind Readers. With an interesting scenario and a subject matter I am unfamiliar to-the mind reading world-I decided to give it a try.

Cameron Winters has always been different-she has a secret. She has the ability to read minds. Who doesn’t at one point-wish they would be able to read the thoughts of others, be it out of curiosity or selfish needs? It isn’t that way for Cameron. She has never wished for it and to her, it is not a gift, but a disability; something that causes her feelings of exclusion and not being able to belong-there will never be anyone who truly understand her, and be able to accept her for what she’s capable of … and who she really is. It wasn’t until she met Lucas-the handsome new student in her class-who she feels an unexplainable attraction towards and who shares the same secret as her, did she felt a sense for belonging for the first time. And so Cameron allows Lucas to show her the world of mind reading-a new place, and an escape from those who labeled her as a “freak”. But what she was not expecting was another prison, obstinate love, and betrayal.

Although I found the synopsis attracting, I honestly have to say that I was not expecting too much from a FREE kindle book. But this YA, was like a hidden gem in a pile of rocks. I went through many kindle Young Adult novels-searching for a good book and most of the time end up disappointed. That isn’t the case for The Mind Readers; the saying “you get what you pay for”, does not work for this piece.

The pace of the book was okay. It was also a very quick read-207 pages or so-as I stated above it may vary, depending on the device.

Ending wise, to some people it may seem as an erupt closure, because some of how the secondary characters were left without a conclusion; I however view it as one of those captivating ending or “cliff hangers” that is meant to keep the readers wanting to know more and purchase the second book. Though unlike many other books, where this kind of strategy may end up being a downfall … it works well for me here.

I was charmed by this read and would definitely recommend it! ( )
  starryeyedheart | Dec 6, 2012 |
Lori Brighton's young adult novel opens up a world of mind reading, murder, and betrayal. With such a seemingly attention-packed plot, I felt that the delivery fell flat.

Cameron Winters lives with her grandmother and has only one rule to abide to: don't let anyone know that she can read minds. This becomes difficult when a classmate turns up dead and she can hear the voice of the killer, but cannot place who the voice is coming from. Enter Lewis Douglas, a new transfer who seems to know her little secret and talks her into joining a school designed for people like her, others who can read minds and make a difference in the world.

This book had all the fixings for a great novel, except it didn't live up for the various plot points that it set up for itself. The book opens up with Cameron using her mind reading capabilities to please her best friend who expects only envy and worship from her. It quickly jumps to the discovery of a dead classmate and the appearance of a new transfer student. The murder is wrapped up within 30 pages and Cameron finds her self headed to a school a la Professor X's School for Gifted Children. From here Cameron learns about her parents and has to decide who she can trust and who is holding something from her. The book had my attention for the first 50 pages or so until Cameron was shipped off to the mutant school. It seemed like some parts rushed just to do nothing, the latter half of the book is the constant jump between 'Can I trust you?' and 'are you SURE I can trust you??' I felt that it dragged until the last twenty pages.

The secondary characters are almost non-existent. They appear sporadically when a plot development is needed but besides that they are barely seen. For a school for mind readers it's odd that Cameron only has conversations 3 people, not including the love interest Lewis. In my opinion, the most interesting characters were Cameron's classmates at her high school before she ran away to the X-Men-y school.

The writing style is well polished, it is just the plot and overall organization that needs tweaking. Because The Mind Readers is told from the first person perspective, the audience experiences the unwanted mind reading and Cameron's constant confusion regarding who is looking out for her best interest and who is using her for her special skill. Lori does an excellent job tapping into Cameron's vulnerability and her insecurities.

The Mind Readers takes readers on a roller coaster ride that will make the audience question the characters and their intentions. As interesting as the summary makes the novel seem, this novel was not for me.

Recommended: I recommend this for readers who like schools for gifted children with multiple plot twists. ( )
  HarkiQuinn | Feb 4, 2012 |

Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows the truth ... that Cameron can read minds. For years Cameron has hidden behind a facade of normalcy, warned that there are those who would do her harm. When gorgeous and mysterious Lewis Douglas arrives he destroys everything Cameron has ever believed and tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a secret haven with Lewis; a place where she meets others like her, Mind Readers. But as Cameron soon finds out some things are too good to be true. When the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron's abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs. Cameron suddenly finds herself involved in a war in which her idea of what is right and wrong is greatly tested. In the end she'll be forced to make a choice that will not only threaten her relationship with Lewis, but her very life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,288,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible