The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton

The Mind Readers (edition 2010)

by Lori Brighton

Member:starryeyedheart
Title:The Mind Readers
Authors:Lori Brighton
Info:Lori Brighton (2010), Kindle Edition, 207 pages
Rating:*****

The Mind Readers (Mind Readers, #1) by Lori Brighton

I had actually been looking forward to reading a book about mind-reading (if you know any good ones, let me know!) but sadly I was disappointed.

The writing style wasn't descriptive enough for me to immerse myself in the story, and the main character just felt kind of annoying.

It is a good idea though, I just wish it was executed better. ( )
  CatherineHsu | Jun 8, 2016 |
This was my first read by Lori Brighton. I have mixed feelings on the book, but I believe most of my issues will resolve as the author finds her footing. She has amazing ideas and a lot of talent. Her first chapter hooked me right away and had me turning the pages. There were a few problems with character development. It wasn't terrible, but I would've liked to know more about these people outside of their mind reading abilities. It was difficult to connect with them and really become invested in their lives and feelings when I knew so little about them. The relationship between the main characters moved a little too quickly, but I'm going to contribute that to the YA genre and Cameron's inexperience. Despite her unique gift, she was a teenager with the typical "boomerang" emotions.

I really loved the idea of mind reading and telekinesis. There were scenes that had me falling through the pages and other scenes that seemed to drag on and on. I'm still intrigued by the story and the closing chapter was another fantastic "hook" that convinced me to stick with the series. The author has grabbed onto a fantastic idea that I can see The Mind Readers expanding into a wonderfully entertaining series. As she hones her craft I'm sure we'll see improvement. The story is worth giving the book a chance. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Plot:
Cameron lives with her grandma and hides the fact that she can read minds from her friends. But then a murder happens, and a strange boy appears, Lewis is mysterious and sees her. Soon she realizes that he can hear her too. He is just like her, and tells her to come away and learn how to use her talents.

My thoughts:
Lori has been one busy woman this fall. First her adult novel The Ghost Hunter and now a YA novel.

A lot is going on in this short novel, and I never know who to trust. First there is strange Lewis who pays her attention. He does not see her best friend, the hottest girl in school. Can she trust him? Can she even trust her own grand mother to tell the truth? Then there is the Mind Readers, and those that want them harm or? Until the last page I can't say for sure who to trust. But that is the point, it creates suspense, and I am always very distrustful. I never trust anyone in a book, cos who knows.

Cameron is a sweet girl, who just wants to be normal. Lewis, the guy falls for, is always so nice to her. Then there is the leader of the Mind readers, the man who always know what to say. Later in the book there is also another character, I am not going to say who, but that person was nice (oh see what I did there, said nothing at all ;)

There is romance, suspense, and more conflicts to come. Because at the end there is a cliffhanger, that is not a cliffhanger, but still feels like a cliffhanger. Confused, well, ok, it ends well and peaceful, but then something happens, something that could mean another book. And that makes me curious.

Final thoughts and recommendation:
It is sweet YA, so nothing big going on there. There is suspense and some action, but nothing too heavy. So if you want a sweet YA book, with a twisting plot and a paranormal theme then this one might be for you.

blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Loved the book, hated the ending. Cameron is a mind reader. She is also a teenager in her last year of highschool. Reading other's minds has always been a gift for her, as long as she can remember since living with her grandmother. Then one day, a body washes ashore near her home and Cameron's world turns upside down. For amongst the crowd, the killer's thoughts intrude onto Cameron's mind. Lewis was only there to protect Cameron. He was like her, and with his influence he was sure to get her to trust him. And so he turned the killer in and gained her trust the only way he knew how, by letting her know he was like her. Lewis takes Cameron to meet his mentor with the hope that he can also teach Cameron about her abilities. But it's all a ruse. One that could get Cameron killed. ( )
  wndy2011 | Jan 21, 2016 |
Decently solid introduction to a series with some potential. Interesting read, I devoured it over the course of just a handful of hours on the bus.

Great, impactful literature? Nah. Entertaining? Absolutely.

There were times I wanted to shake the protagonist for not catching the red flags - even as she was the one repeating the words (since it was a first person narrative) - but that's part of the fun of being the reader. ( )
  jennaelf | Jan 5, 2016 |

Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows the truth ... that Cameron can read minds. For years Cameron has hidden behind a facade of normalcy, warned that there are those who would do her harm. When gorgeous and mysterious Lewis Douglas arrives he destroys everything Cameron has ever believed and tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a secret haven with Lewis; a place where she meets others like her, Mind Readers. But as Cameron soon finds out some things are too good to be true. When the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron's abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs. Cameron suddenly finds herself involved in a war in which her idea of what is right and wrong is greatly tested. In the end she'll be forced to make a choice that will not only threaten her relationship with Lewis, but her very life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,842,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible