Een blijvende indruk (Belmont Mansion) by…

Een blijvende indruk (Belmont Mansion)

by Tamera Alexander

Member:WinekevdGraaf
Title:Een blijvende indruk (Belmont Mansion)
Authors:Tamera Alexander
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2011), Paperback, 432 pagina's
Tags:19e eeuw, Nashville, kunst, vervalsingen, verleden, schilderen, kans

A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander

Recently added byabetcher, private library, cassie.peters1, LoriY, fsbclawrence, atcolorado, ThompsonJs, DoingDewey

English (32)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
I read this book in anticipation of Tamera Alexander appearance at the West Virginia Book Festival 2012. I loved the book. Maybe it's about time for a re-read. ( )
  sar96 | Jan 2, 2014 |
  sar96 | Jan 2, 2014 |
Maybe it was that I was reading this over the week of Christmas, but it took me NINE DAYS to read this book. That's a LONG TIME for me. I usually read 3 books in that amount of time! I don't remember a TON about this book, as I read it 6 months ago (and then proceeded to get totally behind on reviewing books), but I'll tell you what I remember.

I remember liking Claire a lot. And I remember liking Sutton a lot. I remember a lot about her and her past and the art forgery and her working for Adelicia Acklen (who I really liked!). I remember Sutton was Adelicia's personal attorney. I remember that she had to prove herself with a party for one of Adelicia's children. I remember that Sutton is sort-of-almost-basically-for-all-intents-and-purposes engaged to some ritzy rich girl. What I don't remember is how they fell in love, or really much about Sutton at all. *shakes her head*

I feel awful saying this, but what I remember MOST about this book is, I'm sorry to say, how bogged down I got in all the details... Maybe it's that post-Civil war Nashville isn't exactly my cup of tea. But really. How much detail do we need about the topiaries around the manor? You can DEFINITELY tell that the author has really been to the place, but geesh. If you want to get into that much detail (which was excessive, in my opinion), include a freaking picture, okay? Just say, "Refer to photo 1 in the appendix" and I'd be set. I'm not reading this book for the topiaries.

Anyway, I remember it being cute, other than that. I just don't remember much else.
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
I love romance set against an historical background. Even more, I love when that story takes place in the era of the Civil War. So right from the start I felt A Lasting Impression had two things going for it.

Tamera Alexander's depiction of post-Civil War Nashville and the South is compelling. Her many-faceted characters are intriguing. The setting of Belmont in Nashville and the incorporation of Adelicia Acklen - the real owner of the estate used in a fictitious manner - made it all the better for me. The idea of our heroine being an erstwhile art forger was deliciously different. I also enjoyed the angst she had to deal with when fearing that her background would be learned by her suitor - a Nashville attorney who is like a son to Mrs. Acklen. Our heroine, Claire Laurent, has overcome several tragedies before she lands a position as Mrs. Acklen's personal liaison.

However, the story itself moved much too slowly for me. Lots of soul-searching on the parts of Claire and Sutton (her suitor) made me yearn for more action scenes or even witty repartee. I found myself enjoying the secondary characters of Corinda, Eli, and Zeke much more.

When Claire's background finally comes to light I was a bit let down. It seems that the outcome was wrapped up too easily. I was hoping for some in-depth scenes in the courtroom where Claire would testify to her father's and uncle's business in forged artwork. A confrontation or two would have been just the thing to drive the wedge between Claire and Sutton. As it was, the outcome was too neatly wrapped up.

While the story was solid, it wasn't the kind of book I couldn't put down. In fact, I put it down so many times I had to sequester myself in order to finish it.

I'll definitely give Ms. Alexander's books another try though as I feel this may have been one of her lesser works. ( )
  AuthorMarion | Jan 11, 2013 |
NCLA Review: Set in Nashville, TN, right after the Civil War, is a historic love story. Nineteen-year-old French-born Claire Elise Laurent has just fled from New Orleans following the tragic deaths of both parents. She is a painter, and her father had forced her to copy famous masterpieces for him to sell. She longs to be known for her own painting and hides her past, knowing it could be her undoing. Claire has lost a lot, but knows that God has been with her. She must find self-confidence if she wants to make a lasting impression with her painting. She meets Sutton Monroe, whose father was shot by a Union soldier and family home was burned. Sutton is trying to clear his father’s reputation and reclaim the family’s land. Alexander has done her research, using real people and places, bringing characters and surroundings to life with descriptions that put the reader right in the story. She interweaves the pain of the war into the characters and uses the artwork in the story line. I am anxious to read the next books in the series. Rating: 4 —VJ ( )
  ncla | Mar 13, 2012 |

From Christy and RITA Award-winning author Tamera Alexander comes a novel about the difference between knowing who you are—and knowing who you want to become.Set at Nashville's historic Belmont Mansion, a stunning antebellum manor, A Lasting Impression is a sweeping love story about a nation mending after war, the redemption of those wounded, and the courage of a man and woman to see themselves––and each other––for who they truly are."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764206222, Paperback)

Blockbuster New Historical Series From Acclaimed Author Tamera Alexander

To create something that will last is Claire Laurent's most fervent desire as an artist. It's also her greatest weakness. When her fraud of a father deals her an unexpected hand, Claire is forced to flee from New Orleans to Nashville, only a year after the War Between the States has ended. Claire's path collides with that of Sutton Monroe, and she considers him a godsend for not turning her in to the authorities. But when they meet again and he refuses to come to her aid, she realizes she's sorely misjudged the man. Trading an unwanted destiny for an unknown future, Claire finds herself in the middle of Nashville's elite society and believes her dream of creating a lasting impression in the world of art may finally be within reach.

All that Sutton Monroe holds dear lies in ruin. He's determined to reclaim his heritage and to make the men who murdered his father pay. But what he discovers on his quest for vengeance reveals a truth that may cost him more than he ever imagined.

Set at Nashville's historical Belmont Mansion, a stunning antebellum manor built by Mrs. Adelicia Acklen, the richest woman in America in the 1860s, A Lasting Impression showcases the deep, poignant, unforgettable characters that set Tamera's stories apart and provides an inspiring love story that will capture readers' hearts and leave them eager for more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:42 -0400)

After an unwanted past, Claire strives to create something that will last as an artist among Nashville's elite society in the 1860s.

Tamera Alexander is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,983,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible