The Kingdom by Amanda Stevens

The Kingdom

by Amanda Stevens

Second book in a supernatural mystery series featuring "The Graveyard Queen" Amelia Gray. In this book Amelia travels to the town of Asher Falls where she's been hired to restore the cemetery. Upon arrival Amelia is immediately enveloped in the foreboding atmosphere that hovers over the town. Amelia slowly comes to realize she is tied to this town in a way she doesn't understand. When she finds a hidden grave in the cemetery she discovers there are several people who would do anything to keep old secrets hidden.

This was an engrossing story but I thought the heavy atmosphere was a bit overdone and bogged down the first half of the book. I wished for a little more character interaction and a little less exposition and description. But the last half of the book was much more action and it was all I could do not to read straight through to the end. The ending nicely tied up all the ends and answered all the questions, and gave all the characters closure. I liked that this book delved into Amelia's past and revealed family secrets. I hope we get to see more of Devlin in future books, because I liked his character and missed him in this book. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Well, here we are again. Clearly, the first Graveyard Queen novel, [b:The Restorer|9722219|The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1)|Amanda Stevens|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327904796s/9722219.jpg|14610994], got enough of my attention to persuade me to move straight on to reading The Kingdom.

What I Liked
Amelia. So many urban fantasy heroines are just too - too gorgeous, too kick-ass, too insecure, too everything. Amelia is a little strange, but she strikes me as very realistic (apart from the ghosts thing, obviously).

In this book, we learn more about Amelia and her background, which I appreciated. It explained some things - and, hopefully, set up other stuff for down the line.

Angus. I liked everything about Angus. I liked Angus a lot better than John Devlin or Thane Asher.

The Situation Stevens does creepy very well. She does creepy American small towns extremely well. To be strictly fair, there was nothing in this that was new - but Stevens has the ability to make the reader not care that the story itself isn't exactly breaking new literary ground; we care enough about the characters (particularly Amanda and Angus) to carry on reading instead of, for example, doing other stuff that really needs doing.

What I Would Have Liked More Of
Detail. There were questions left unanswered, and I like to have answers. I hope we will return to Asher Falls in a later book. There's certainly the material for another story.

Conclusion
This second book has the certain sort of something that the first book lacked, for me. Hence the five-star rating. I'm not quite sure what it is - maybe it's just that we know more about Amanda. Maybe it's Angus. I do like Angus. :-)

I'm going straight on to read Book 3: [b:The Prophet|13024331|The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3)|Amanda Stevens|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1322258553s/13024331.jpg|18187177]... ( )
  T_K_Elliott | Mar 12, 2017 |
The Kingdom
4 Stars

The eerie atmosphere of the town, the mystery surrounding Amelia's connection to Asher falls and the revelations about a number of suspicious deaths all work together to make The Kingdom an enthralling read.

There are fewer descriptions of burial rituals, which is a little disappointing and John Devlin's character is sorely missed. Nevertheless, the varied cast of characters from the town patriarch and his enigmatic grandson to the stalkerish teenager and her ethereal friend are all well developed and contribute to the sinister vibe surrounding the events in the story. Every character has his or her secret and following Amelia as she attempts to unravel the truth makes for entertaining listening.

The rich intertextuality, such as the clever allusions to Edgar Allen Poe's Fall of the House of Usher and John Updike's The Witches of Eastwick, are seamlessly interwoven within the storyline and add a compelling layer to the twists and turns of the plot.

Overall, The Kingdom is a well-written and worthy sequel to The Restorer and I look forward to John Devlin's return in The Prophet. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Graveyard Queen series. I saw the series recommended by someone on my twitter feed and decided to check it out. The second book in the series did not fail to impress. I loved it as much as the first one. As with the first one the characters were well written was different than the other "I see dead people" books. Questions I had from the first book were answered and new mysteries arose to be carried into the next book. I highly recommend the series. ( )
  nhalliwell | Nov 13, 2016 |
Amelia Grey has never know her true parents, her "father" showed up one night, bloody and holding a baby. She doesn't even consider this when she wins a contract to restore Thorngate cemetery. A host of crimes have been committed in the tiny town of Asher Falls and, as it turns out, most of them can be linked to Amelia.

The original cemetery was buried under a lake and since then, odd things are happening. People disappearing, an unmarked grave of a mother and child, a very handsome part of the founding family whose future has also been planned out. What does all these have to do with Amelia? I had no clue! (and that's the best part!) ( )
  macygma | Sep 6, 2016 |

Amelia Grey has been commissioned to restore and old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but she soon discovers she has another purpose there.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible