Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Favourite quote:
”The world wants us for our wombs or our bodies, or it doesn’t want us at all. It steals us, destroys us, piles us like dying cattle in circus tents and leaves us lying in filth and perfume until we’re wanted again.” (p.39)

I really wanted to like this book. I loved Wither, but everything just sort of fell apart in Fever - the plot is very scattered, stopping and starting repeatedly, without ever really going anywhere. We finally get back on track at the very end, but most of this novel feels like middle book filler, rather than anything important.

Rhine and Gabriel wander around, stumbling randomly into and out of trouble. They are captured by a Scarlet District “Madame” who plans to force Rhine into prostitution . . . but doesn’t. Something vague happens with Rhine and Gabriel in a birdcage that isn’t ever really described or referenced again. Then they meet a fortune teller who dispenses some convenient foreshadowing. They make it back to Manhattan, but Rhine’s brother is no longer there, so they help out in an orphanage. It just doesn’t flow or feel cohesive. The characters are thrust into one unrelated scenario after another.

I thought that this would be the book where we got to know the main romantic interest, Gabriel, yet he spends most of Fever tripping on a drug called “angel’s blood,” or suffering symptoms of withdrawal. If anything, Gabriel is even less of a character in Fever than he was in Wither! How frustrating!

Rhine doesn’t fare much better, even though she’s the POV character. She also spends a large chunk of the book sick and delirious. First Gabriel is sick . . . than Rhine is sick . . . we never get to see the two of them really be together. I still have no investment in their "romance."

I almost gave this book two stars . . .HOWEVER… in the last 80 pages or so the book does get really good again. Vaughn is a terrific villain - every scene with him just pops, giving me goosebumps and chills! Once Rhine is recaptured and back in his clutches I could not look away!

It’s frustrating, though, that most of this book could have been cut out. By the end I was sucked back in and I do plan on reading the conclusion in Sever. ( )
  catfantastic | Apr 24, 2016 |
This series has such strong adult themes, I'm surprised it's considered Young Adult. I only say this to caution parents who might have teens reading this book. I've told my 13 year old that she has to wait until she's older.
The book itself was very good. Rhine has more drama thrown at her than she thought possible when the first book ended. She's got devastation and she's starting to lose hope, which was the one thing that set her apart from most girls around her age in this world.
Also, while the first book leaves us thinking that fear of Vaughn is over, we find that it's not as there are new things to fear from him. And we're not done seeing Cecily or Linden either.
The ending is a cliffhanger, so I'm anxious to start book three. I'd make sure you have it handy when reading this one, it left me with a more anxious feeling than the end of book 1. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
this book was a true #2 in a series ... nothing happened the entire time ... it was 341 pages of nothing. Running, sleeping, sickness, blah blah blah. There were moments were I thought things might change but then it would fall right back into the same rut of sleeping, sickness, and running. The end was a clusterfuck of nonsense, I honestly thought I was drunk reading it because I would finish a paragraph and be like wtf and reread the paragraph but no, I had read it correctly. I'm torn between reading the third book or just giving up but I'm curious to see where this is going to go. I liked the first book in the Wither series and I'm just really frustrated about the second one. I feel like most of DeStefano's books have great promise and sometimes she excutes them fantastic but more often that not, they aren't. ( )
1 vote danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
In the follow-up to Wither, Rhine and Gabriel find themselves on a beach. They aren't sure how far they've made it from Housemaster Vaughn. After seeing a circle of lights, they decide to follow them. Their lives are changed by this. Rhine and Gabriel are forced to be the new attraction at this carnival. The only thing that keeps the two of them going is Rhine's determination to find her brother, Rowan. They also must make sure not to be found by Vaughn.

I absolutely loved this book. It was dark and had me on an emotional roller coaster. Vaughn is the perfect bad guy. I despise him. It seems like his hold on Rhine will never by broken. I don't think I've ever met a character as sinister or devoid of emotion.

Rhine and Gabriel go through so many trials that Rhine begins to wonder if leaving the mansion was a good idea. Gabriel didn't realize how dangerous the world outside of the walls he was brought up in. Even though they've gone through hell during their escape he doesn't regret it. He is happy that he left with Rhine.

I think my favorite part of the book is at the end. I'm not going to give away any spoilers with who or what the situation is, but it is intense! This series is definitely one of my top reads, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it just as much.

5/5 stars :D ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cover is amazing!!!!!!!!
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

In a future where genetic engineering has cured humanity of all diseases and defects but has also produced a virus that kills all females by age twenty and all males by the age twenty-five, teenaged Rhine escapes her forced marriage and journeys back to New York to find her twin brother.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,814,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible