Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test Novel) by…

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test Novel) (edition 2012)

by Aimee Carter (Author)

243None47,977 (3.69)7
Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test Novel)
Authors:Aimee Carter (Author)
Info:Harlequin (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, library, read, 2013, january, fantasy, greek gods, gods, mythology, cc

Goddess Interrupted by Aimée Carter

I realized while reading Goddess Interrupted that I am too much of a fan of mythology, particularly Greek and Roman mythology, to ever read this series with a critical eye. Yes, it is flawed, but it is above all fun. Yes, there are some distinctly uncomfortable moments about all of the incestuous relationships that exist around the gods. However, they are so unabashedly unashamed of their behavior, so god-like, that one cannot help but shrug off the moral issues and just go with it. Besides, these are the Greek gods. They are famous for their eye-raising behaviors that would get a normal person shunned. Therein lies their appeal – at least for me.

Kate remains a fascinating character as she struggles to adapt to her new life as an immortal and learn more about her new family. She proves that she is as tough and determined as ever, battling against the impossible to save her loved ones. She has a backbone and a crafty intelligence that others tend to underestimate. More importantly, she never lets the other gods scare or intimidate her when she has every reason to be both. Because she is so strong, her moments of fragility are particularly poignant. It is all too easy to empathize with Kate as she fights for her love as well as her life and her place as Queen of the Underworld.

The story itself is rather goofy if one truly examines it. Calliope is insane by every stretch of the imagination, and her determination to obtain revenge against Kate for her punishment seems extreme. That she would snap so thoroughly after Kate’s success is a convenient plot point that does not bear scrutiny. Her extremist reactions can be rather amusing, however, and her misguided partnership with Cronus is fascinating if only because it shows just how unraveled and single-minded she has truly become. Persephone’s involvement in the story is somewhat understandable, as it adds another level of friction to the story and forces Kate to verbalize her feelings about her situation and take action. Still, Persephone is not a sympathetic character either, no matter how Kate views her desire for happiness. It makes for some uncomfortable scenes.

Goddess Interrupted is not meant for critical analysis. Lighthearted, it is meant to entertain, and entertain it does. For one, it never takes itself too seriously. The story flies with plenty of ups and downs to hold a reader’s interest. Kate’s fate is anything but set in stone, adding a level of suspense to the existing dangers. They may no longer use their Greek monikers, but Ms. Carter ensures readers know who each god is with sly nods to their powers and their personalities. The ending raises a new batch of questions and sets one’s heart racing as to what the future holds for Kate, Henry, and the rest of the Council.
  jmchshannon | Mar 27, 2014 |
I received this book for free from Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review. This review is also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

I was really excited for this book, and was sadly rather disappointed by it. I absolutely love Greek mythology, so any book involving it - especially an interesting modern take on it - is a must read for me. But I think it was actually my love of and interest in Greek mythology that ruined this one for me.

Firstly, it took me a while to work out which god/goddess was which. I just had to know who was who, whereas for some readers that might not be such a concern. They all have modern names, and whilst some of them have names starting with the same letter as their Greek counterparts, others seem completely random. Not to mention naming Demeter Diana, which is the Roman name for Artemis - plus some characters, such as Adonis, still had their Greek names. I really wish there had been a guide to the gods - which there was, at the very back, so hard to spot on the Kindle version! It would've been much better to put that right at the start. I did manage to identify all the gods though, through both their powers/attributes, and then by process of elimination... (i.e. Sofia being one of the 'big six', and she isn't Hera or Demeter, so she must be Vestia).

I think the only reason I managed to work out who was who is because I have read and studied so much about Greek mythology - there really wasn't much to set them apart, and they didn't seem very 'god like' to me.

Also, if you know anything about Greek mythology, you should know: never trust the gods. They're scheming, selfish and see humans as their playthings. And have a penchant for incest... Carter tries to get around this by explaining that although the gods are all a big (not so happy) family, family is a very loose term. They're not related by blood, but they don't have another word to explain how close they are. Yet at some moments the book seems to claim X is related to Y etc, and others they're not. I can understand it would be a tricky thing to get around, since incest is not exactly a topic you'd want to cover in a book like this, but Carter just doesn't quite pull off the 'not family' thing. Theo and Ella's (Apollo and Artemis) relationship was a bit odd. They're twins, yet they seemed like a couple - or maybe they weren't actually related in the book? I can't tell!

Plus - the idea that Henry (Hades) is a virgin?! He's a god. Hades stole Persephone away, then tricked her into eating pomegranate seeds so she had to stay in the Underworld during autumn and winter. I'm sorry, but I can't see a guy like that still being a virgin. There are so many legends where various gods (and occasionally goddesses) rape humans, or trick them into having sex by transforming into their husbands or partners (that's how Heracles was born - Zeus transformed into his mother's husband and slept with her).

The main villain was Calliope (Hera) along with Cronus - and she did some very uncharacteristic things. Hera was the goddess of marriage and fertility, and despite all of Zeus' philandering, she remained loyal. Yet in this story she is anything but.

Honestly though, despite all my moaning about the gods and the mythology, the story was well-written, flowed nicely and had none of the usual annoying Young Adult traits (apart from the occasional moaning on Kate's part, but it wasn't too much). The story is nicely paced, with some slower chapters that reveal more about the characters, and a couple of action-packed scenes. Overall, I think the mythology part ruined it for me, which is a real shame. If the book appeals to you, go ahead and read it - but if you have an in-depth knowledge of Greek mythology, some parts may make it a more difficult read.

I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys Young Adult novels, and is bored of the usual vampires/werewolves etc. Aimee Carter has come up with a fun, exciting twist on the usual supernatural YA novels, and I can't fault her writing. ( )
  Rinnreads | Sep 24, 2013 |
Miss @aimee_carter WHAT KIND OF ENDING WAS THAT!? Love this series. Full review closer to release date. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
Review from ARC from NetGalley

Fun until you think about it ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |
Goddess Interrupted by Aimée Carter is the sequel to The Goddess Test. It suffers from the usual growing pains of being the middle book in a trilogy. The characters are all established but there's this silly desire to pretend that none of that character building happened in the first book.

Kate returns from her six months off, being chaperoned around Greece with James. Henry meanwhile has been dividing his time between spying on her, preparing for her coronation and convincing himself that Kate will leave him just like Persephone did.

Before Kate can even finish the ceremony all hell breaks loose (quite literally) with Calliope (Hera) trying to release Chronos from Tartarus. Paging Percy Jackson!

In the original book, I liked getting the perspective of Greek mythology from a strong female lead. So often these stories are told from a male hero's point of view. This time, though, Kate isn't herself. When she is trying to stop Calliope and is forced to face her fears head on by allying herself with Persephone, she is a fascinating and resourceful hero.

But (and this is a big one), this book is also a romance. I get that. It's published by Harlequin Teen, for goodness sake. But come on — SEX DOES NOT SOLVE EVERYTHING. In fact, sex doesn't really solve anything. Sex is so much more complex than how its presented between Kate and Henry.

I hope that the third book will give Kate more time to blossom as the hero she is and push aside these simplistic notions of sex and romance. ( )
  pussreboots | May 28, 2013 |

About to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, the immortal Kate Winters must save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future: Henry's first wife, Persephone.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible