Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test Novel) by…

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test Novel) (edition 2012)

by Aimee Carter (Author)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test Novel)
Authors:Aimee Carter (Author)
Info:Harlequin (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, library, read, 2013, january, fantasy, greek gods, gods, mythology, cc

Goddess Interrupted by Aimée Carter

Ugh. I love Kate. Henry deserves a good, swift kick in the nuts. ( )
  abigail33 | Aug 20, 2014 |
Even worse than the first. Kate whines for 90% of the book about her love life while the world threatens to crumble around her. So much ridiculousness. I won't be continuing the series. ( )
  titania86 | May 21, 2014 |
Goddess Interrupted is the second book in the Goddess Test series, beginning six months after the first book. There is a bridging novella, The Goddess Hunt, that covers that six month gap. The more we get to know the different characters, the better the books get. I love the blending of traditional Greek mythology with contemporary humor and interesting reimaginings.

It is quite unusual to have a married heroine in a YA novel. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is something you don't often see. It is in keeping with the story line, but I wonder how that detail plays to readers who are actually in the YA demographic. Which I am most definintely not, but I have kids who are, so does that count?!

I love Greek mythology and I like the way that they author uses it. For purists... yes, there are changes to the traditional mythology, but that is a part of retellings and reimaginings of established lore. Watching ancient gods and goddesses deal with modern problems can be rather funny at times.

In keeping with that, the gods and goddesses change their names with their times, established in the first book. They maintain their character traits that we all know, but are given a bit of an update. For someone who loves Greek mythology, its's fun to pick them out and identify them.

Kate and Henry have an interesting story. Both have come into their relationship with baggage and I like that the author didn't make that all magically go away once they were together. Things like that don't go away overnight, and Carter recognized in the transformation of that relationship.

The one thing that bothered me with the portrayal of their relationship was Kate's reaction to it throughout most of the book. She spent a lot of time in angst over Henry and his behavior, and feeling bad about herself because of his baggage. I suppose part of that is her young age, newly married. But there were times when I just wanted to see her stand up and get angry.

Some Quotastic Goodness

--It hurts being the one who loves more.
--If I were a better man, I would be able to show you the love and affection you deserve. As I am not, I can only offer you what I'm capable of giving. But I assure you, just because I do not show it, doesn't mean I do not feel it.
--You can say you love me all you want, but if you only ever act like the opposite's true, then I can't trust your words anymore.
--Being with Henry doesn't mean you have to give up who you are. Henry doesn't define you.
--Being brave doesn't mean never being afraid, you know. It means going for it anyway because you know it's the right thing to do.
--I don't want to be the person who tries to force you to feel something you don't.

My Recommendation: If you enjoy Greek mythology and reimaginings, this is a great book! You should read at least Goddess Test first, as this is not a standalone novel. I would also recommend reading the bridging novella, The Goddess Hunt.

This review originally appeared on my blog, http://thecaffeinateddivareads.multifacetedmama.com/?p=8733. ( )
  Kiki870 | Apr 23, 2014 |
I realized while reading Goddess Interrupted that I am too much of a fan of mythology, particularly Greek and Roman mythology, to ever read this series with a critical eye. Yes, it is flawed, but it is above all fun. Yes, there are some distinctly uncomfortable moments about all of the incestuous relationships that exist around the gods. However, they are so unabashedly unashamed of their behavior, so god-like, that one cannot help but shrug off the moral issues and just go with it. Besides, these are the Greek gods. They are famous for their eye-raising behaviors that would get a normal person shunned. Therein lies their appeal – at least for me.

Kate remains a fascinating character as she struggles to adapt to her new life as an immortal and learn more about her new family. She proves that she is as tough and determined as ever, battling against the impossible to save her loved ones. She has a backbone and a crafty intelligence that others tend to underestimate. More importantly, she never lets the other gods scare or intimidate her when she has every reason to be both. Because she is so strong, her moments of fragility are particularly poignant. It is all too easy to empathize with Kate as she fights for her love as well as her life and her place as Queen of the Underworld.

The story itself is rather goofy if one truly examines it. Calliope is insane by every stretch of the imagination, and her determination to obtain revenge against Kate for her punishment seems extreme. That she would snap so thoroughly after Kate’s success is a convenient plot point that does not bear scrutiny. Her extremist reactions can be rather amusing, however, and her misguided partnership with Cronus is fascinating if only because it shows just how unraveled and single-minded she has truly become. Persephone’s involvement in the story is somewhat understandable, as it adds another level of friction to the story and forces Kate to verbalize her feelings about her situation and take action. Still, Persephone is not a sympathetic character either, no matter how Kate views her desire for happiness. It makes for some uncomfortable scenes.

Goddess Interrupted is not meant for critical analysis. Lighthearted, it is meant to entertain, and entertain it does. For one, it never takes itself too seriously. The story flies with plenty of ups and downs to hold a reader’s interest. Kate’s fate is anything but set in stone, adding a level of suspense to the existing dangers. They may no longer use their Greek monikers, but Ms. Carter ensures readers know who each god is with sly nods to their powers and their personalities. The ending raises a new batch of questions and sets one’s heart racing as to what the future holds for Kate, Henry, and the rest of the Council.
  jmchshannon | Mar 27, 2014 |
I received this book for free from Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review. This review is also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

I was really excited for this book, and was sadly rather disappointed by it. I absolutely love Greek mythology, so any book involving it - especially an interesting modern take on it - is a must read for me. But I think it was actually my love of and interest in Greek mythology that ruined this one for me.

Firstly, it took me a while to work out which god/goddess was which. I just had to know who was who, whereas for some readers that might not be such a concern. They all have modern names, and whilst some of them have names starting with the same letter as their Greek counterparts, others seem completely random. Not to mention naming Demeter Diana, which is the Roman name for Artemis - plus some characters, such as Adonis, still had their Greek names. I really wish there had been a guide to the gods - which there was, at the very back, so hard to spot on the Kindle version! It would've been much better to put that right at the start. I did manage to identify all the gods though, through both their powers/attributes, and then by process of elimination... (i.e. Sofia being one of the 'big six', and she isn't Hera or Demeter, so she must be Vestia).

I think the only reason I managed to work out who was who is because I have read and studied so much about Greek mythology - there really wasn't much to set them apart, and they didn't seem very 'god like' to me.

Also, if you know anything about Greek mythology, you should know: never trust the gods. They're scheming, selfish and see humans as their playthings. And have a penchant for incest... Carter tries to get around this by explaining that although the gods are all a big (not so happy) family, family is a very loose term. They're not related by blood, but they don't have another word to explain how close they are. Yet at some moments the book seems to claim X is related to Y etc, and others they're not. I can understand it would be a tricky thing to get around, since incest is not exactly a topic you'd want to cover in a book like this, but Carter just doesn't quite pull off the 'not family' thing. Theo and Ella's (Apollo and Artemis) relationship was a bit odd. They're twins, yet they seemed like a couple - or maybe they weren't actually related in the book? I can't tell!

Plus - the idea that Henry (Hades) is a virgin?! He's a god. Hades stole Persephone away, then tricked her into eating pomegranate seeds so she had to stay in the Underworld during autumn and winter. I'm sorry, but I can't see a guy like that still being a virgin. There are so many legends where various gods (and occasionally goddesses) rape humans, or trick them into having sex by transforming into their husbands or partners (that's how Heracles was born - Zeus transformed into his mother's husband and slept with her).

The main villain was Calliope (Hera) along with Cronus - and she did some very uncharacteristic things. Hera was the goddess of marriage and fertility, and despite all of Zeus' philandering, she remained loyal. Yet in this story she is anything but.

Honestly though, despite all my moaning about the gods and the mythology, the story was well-written, flowed nicely and had none of the usual annoying Young Adult traits (apart from the occasional moaning on Kate's part, but it wasn't too much). The story is nicely paced, with some slower chapters that reveal more about the characters, and a couple of action-packed scenes. Overall, I think the mythology part ruined it for me, which is a real shame. If the book appeals to you, go ahead and read it - but if you have an in-depth knowledge of Greek mythology, some parts may make it a more difficult read.

I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys Young Adult novels, and is bored of the usual vampires/werewolves etc. Aimee Carter has come up with a fun, exciting twist on the usual supernatural YA novels, and I can't fault her writing. ( )
  Rinnreads | Sep 24, 2013 |
For Melissa Anelli, who know how it feels to climb that long, winding roads just to see the dawn.
Calliope trudged through the sunny field as she ignored the babble of the readhead trailing behind her.

About to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, the immortal Kate Winters must save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future: Henry's first wife, Persephone.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,784,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible