Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test Novel) by…

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test Novel) (edition 2012)

by Aimee Carter

Title:Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test Novel)
Authors:Aimee Carter (Author)
Info:Harlequin (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, library, read, 2013, january, fantasy, greek gods, gods, mythology, cc

Goddess Interrupted by Aimée Carter

Loved, loved, loved this book. I enjoyed getting a glimpse into the Underworld. It's not the creepy place I imagined. The surroundings depend on the person. While most choose their afterlife to be pleasant, others find it their own personal hell.

Kate is excited to return to Eden and continue her relationship with Henry. When she returns, however, she finds that Henry has been injured. He isn't very forthcoming with answering her questions. That simple act begins to build a barrier in their very new marriage.

I didn't like Kate as much in this book. She seems very whiny, and acted without thinking in many instances. She did have the best intentions though. That only helped her character a little bit in my eyes. I mean you have to consider consequences at times. I wanted to slap Henry for acting like a jerk. We all know his skill for showing emotion is lacking. He needed to show Kate, or the very least tell her, how he was feeling so that she didn't feel lost. (Although I think it's dumb to hang your existence on how someone feels about you.) I did feel for Kate at some parts. I've gone through some of the things that she is encountering. Not the mythological parts, although that'd be pretty cool, but the relationship problems. I think most couples go through this at some point in their life. It's maddening to not know what's going on. So, of course, I was teary eyed in those scenes.

I was excited to finally meet Persephone and see what she was like. And wow, she fit pretty spot on with how I pictured her character. She's snarky, and kind of mean at times. She does have a few redeeming qualities. And while, I didn't agree with the way she went about things, I appreciated the effort.

If you are a fan of this series you'll love the sequel. It has a lot of emotional drama, a betrayal, and cliffhanger. I'm still pretty "what the crap" about the way it ended, but I can't wait to see what happens next. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
If you like the story of Hades and Persephone you will like this book. This book is a retelling of that myth. I loved the story of Henry and Kate. The thing I didn't like was the pace of the book.
It would go back and forth from a slow to a fast pase. Other than that I loved the book! ( )
  tori_hoffert | Feb 29, 2016 |
Kate the new Immortal faces her life with Hades/Henry in the Underworld. She is to have her coronation to crown her the Queen. She hesitates a moment and everything goes wrong, Henry and his family face impossible odds. The ceremony is not completed and she is feeling very insecure about Henry's feelings. He still love Persephone, so where does that leave Kate? She struggles and James is not helping with his advisement's.
Calliope has done something very bad. She has left an opening for the one being that could destroy the world. The only one that can help is the last person Kate wants to see in any world, Persephone. Things get worse, the danger thicker, life hangs in the balance. Kate's love for Henry might not be enough. Traveling through the Underworld we see many things so not very pretty.
I loved this tale, the emotions the intrigue had me up all night finishing the story. Oh, but tsk tsk Ms. Carter, did it have to end that way ? I will be anxiously waiting for the next book ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Even worse than the first. Kate whines for 90% of the book about her love life while the world threatens to crumble around her. So much ridiculousness. I won't be continuing the series. ( )
  titania86 | May 21, 2014 |
Goddess Interrupted is the second book in the Goddess Test series, beginning six months after the first book. There is a bridging novella, The Goddess Hunt, that covers that six month gap. The more we get to know the different characters, the better the books get. I love the blending of traditional Greek mythology with contemporary humor and interesting reimaginings.

It is quite unusual to have a married heroine in a YA novel. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is something you don't often see. It is in keeping with the story line, but I wonder how that detail plays to readers who are actually in the YA demographic. Which I am most definintely not, but I have kids who are, so does that count?!

I love Greek mythology and I like the way that they author uses it. For purists... yes, there are changes to the traditional mythology, but that is a part of retellings and reimaginings of established lore. Watching ancient gods and goddesses deal with modern problems can be rather funny at times.

In keeping with that, the gods and goddesses change their names with their times, established in the first book. They maintain their character traits that we all know, but are given a bit of an update. For someone who loves Greek mythology, its's fun to pick them out and identify them.

Kate and Henry have an interesting story. Both have come into their relationship with baggage and I like that the author didn't make that all magically go away once they were together. Things like that don't go away overnight, and Carter recognized in the transformation of that relationship.

The one thing that bothered me with the portrayal of their relationship was Kate's reaction to it throughout most of the book. She spent a lot of time in angst over Henry and his behavior, and feeling bad about herself because of his baggage. I suppose part of that is her young age, newly married. But there were times when I just wanted to see her stand up and get angry.

Some Quotastic Goodness

--It hurts being the one who loves more.
--If I were a better man, I would be able to show you the love and affection you deserve. As I am not, I can only offer you what I'm capable of giving. But I assure you, just because I do not show it, doesn't mean I do not feel it.
--You can say you love me all you want, but if you only ever act like the opposite's true, then I can't trust your words anymore.
--Being with Henry doesn't mean you have to give up who you are. Henry doesn't define you.
--Being brave doesn't mean never being afraid, you know. It means going for it anyway because you know it's the right thing to do.
--I don't want to be the person who tries to force you to feel something you don't.

My Recommendation: If you enjoy Greek mythology and reimaginings, this is a great book! You should read at least Goddess Test first, as this is not a standalone novel. I would also recommend reading the bridging novella, The Goddess Hunt.

This review originally appeared on my blog, http://thecaffeinateddivareads.multifacetedmama.com/?p=8733. ( )
  Kiki870 | Apr 23, 2014 |
For Melissa Anelli,
who know how it feels to climb that long,
winding roads just to see the dawn.
Calliope trudged through the sunny field as she ignored the babble of the readhead trailing behind her.

About to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, the immortal Kate Winters must save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future: Henry's first wife, Persephone.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,702,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible