Pinch Me by Adena Halpern

Pinch Me

by Adena Halpern

Lily Burns found the perfect man in Gogo Goldblatt. What she didn't realize was the extent of the family curse placed on the women of the family by a great-great aunt. Her mother, Selma and grandmother Dolly must be the bearer of the bad news in this case. Part fairytale, part chick lit, Lily tries to break the curse and win the alternate version of Gogo's heart. Halpern writes some of the scenes so vividly they come to life easily. Particularly when Dolly tries to feed Gogo and then wipes his chin. ( )
  ethel55 | Aug 16, 2011 |
Originally Posted on Strawberry Splash Book Reviews

Lily Burns has gotten bad advice about love from her mother, Selma and grandmother, Dolly, her entire life. They have told her to only date men would treat her badly. When she meets GoGo , a pediatrician and the love of her life, they sit her down and tell her why she can't be with GoGo: a curse put on her side of the family by her Great-Great-Aunt Emmalina. If they marry anyone they love, there will be huge consequences. GoGo and Lily decides to elope anyway but when she asks GoGo to pinch her to make sure she isn't dreaming, she wakes up in her old apartment and when she calls GoGo, he is married and has no idea she exists.

This book was interesting in a good way. When I got it off of Galley Grab, I sort of knew what it was about but not completely. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Lily was a very relatable character. I really liked Selma and Dolly. Even though they were lying to her for 29 years giving her bad advice about love, they were doing it to protect her.

I didn't really have any complaints about this books. It was a pretty quick read and I enjoyed every minute of it. At first I was annoyed with GoGo because he seemed almost too perfect and I hate perfect characters but immediately after I had that thought, Lily starts explaining all of GoGo's flaws because she had made it seem like he was absolutely perfect.

I really enjoyed the ending. I thought it ended on a good note, at the right place and I was happy with it.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes chick lit. It comes out next week so definitely go buy it!!! ( )
  Strawberryreviews | Jul 12, 2011 |
ADENA HALPERN'S "PINCH ME" (REVIEW)

This book is hilarious and sweet at the same time. Lily Burns is a woman cursed to never find true love. With the advice given to her by her mother and grandmother she decides to forgo this and find love anyway only to realize it was all a dream. In order to get back the man she fell for she has to go through a whole new scenario and convince him that he's in love with her regardless that he's already married.

This book was delightfully funny, with just the right touch of romance that keeps you reading to the end. Adena Halpern is a wonderful writer with the ability to keep you interested. I highly recommend this book!

-Kitty Bullard / Great Minds Think Aloud Book Club ( )
  RavenswoodPublishing | Jul 3, 2011 |

Adena Halpernprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bennett, SusanReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

"'Never marry a man unless he's short, bald, fat, stupid, and treats you badly.' That is the advice that twenty-nine-year-old Lily Burns has heard her entire life from her grandmother Dolly and her mother, Selma. Despite this, when she meets Gogo, the handsome, successful pediatrician who treats her like a queen, she has no choice but to let her heart take over. When she agrees to marry him, Dolly and Selma are inconsolable. They decide it's time to tell her the truth: their family is cursed. If she marries for love, there will be unimaginable consequences."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,431,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible