Blue Monday by Nicci French

Blue Monday (2011)

by Nicci French

Recently added byMonika_L, rena75, private library, mellidiezahnfee

English (58)  Dutch (10)  All languages (68)
What an excellent read!

I didn’t know what to expect, this was one of those $1.99 bookbub or so purchases that PANNED OUT. This is an excellent thriller, character driven story that truly delivers a surprising punch at the end. I can’t remember the last time that has happened.Anyway i will be signing on to read as may Freida Klein mysteries as the author chooses to write. (At least until she/he doesn’t write as well as this one.) ( )
  Darragh4444 | Oct 22, 2018 |
This is the first volume of the Frieda Klein series and I was so excited that I already started to hear the sequel.
Frieda Klein is a psychologist. One day a patient told her about things that had to do with the disappearance of a little boy. Despite confidentiality Frieda decided to get in touch with the police. She unintentionally got the role of a profiler and her cooperation with the police began.
In this first book, you get to know all the protagonists who play an important role later as well, and part of the mystery is solved.
Great, captivating and exciting written. ( )
  Ameise1 | Jul 7, 2018 |
BLUE MONDAY: A FREIDA KLEIN MYSTERY is Book 1 in a very compelling, very suspenseful series by Nicci French.
Nicci French is the pseudonym of English husband and wife team, Nicci Gerrard and Sean French, who write psychological thrillers together.
BLUE MONDAY is a mystery; a suspense thriller with very detailed, troubling, dark and chilling characters.
Freida Klein is a very structured, very organized, very ethical, very solitary psychotherapist who often walks the streets of nighttime London. Maps are included, which I greatly enjoyed. The ‘sense of place’, the atmospheric details made me feel a part of the landscape.
Freida reluctantly finds herself in the middle of an investigation helping a very skeptical, yet desperate Chief Inspector Karlsson. The case involves the abduction of a young 5 year old boy and Freida comes to suspect a link with a similar abduction 22 years previously.
I ‘discovered’ this series and wanted to begin with the first book in the series, BLUE MONDAY. I am halfway through the second title. The books are very suspenseful and do not disappoint. ( )
  diana.hauser | Jun 7, 2018 |
2.5* for the book, 3* for this audiobook edition

This book was the first Nicci French I have read & I ended up disappointed. The first half was okay but as the book progressed, Frieda (and indeed the police) did some incredibly foolish things. For me the worst was when knowing that her client Stephen was a twin (a fact he himself had been unaware of) and that this twin was a man potentially involved in a pair of child abductions, both she & the police don't question which twin returns from their final meeting. That was so obvious to me! ( )
  leslie.98 | May 4, 2018 |
This really wasn't for me. A little girl disappears and then, 20 years later, a little boy. There were multiple disorientating viewpoints. Frieda, the psychoanalyst, was a reasonably likeable character, but I wanted the police to get on with finding Matthew, rather than listening to her tutor her niece or agonize about her love life.

Then Frieda went into detective mode a little herself and seemed to travel round the country discussing her client with everyone she met in a totally inappropriate way. I had to skip the Matthew sections and then started skimming altogether. I found the ending rather disturbing. I did not see the final twist coming, but I do not believe it.

Strangely the whole book felt vaguely familiar; maybe I have read another in this series without recording it. ( )
  pgchuis | Mar 23, 2018 |
Voor Edgar, Anna, Hadley en Molly
Er waren in deze stad veel spoken.
Wij willen exploreren wat er onder de huid van de mensen zit, wat er gebeurt wanneer de mensen hun maskers laten vallen.

Amazon Synopsis

- Monday, the lowest point of the week. A day of dark impulses. A day to snatch a child from the streets ... The abduction of five-year-old Matthew Farraday provokes national outcry and a desperate police hunt. And when his face is splashed over the newspapers, psychotherapist Frieda Klein is left troubled: one of her patients has been relating dreams in which he has a hunger for a child. A child he can describe in perfect detail, a child the spitting image of Matthew. Detective Chief Inspector Karlsson doesn't take Frieda's concerns seriously until a link emerges with an unsolved abduction twenty years ago and he summons Frieda to interview the victim's sister, hoping she can stir hidden memories. Before long, Frieda is at the centre of the race to track the kidnapper. But her race isn't physical. She must chase down the darkest paths of a psychopath's mind to find the answers to Matthew Farraday's whereabouts. And sometimes the mind is the deadliest place to lose yourself.

The abduction of five-year-old Matthew Farraday provokes national outcry and a desperate police hunt. With his face splashed over the newspapers, psychotherapist Frieda Klein is left troubled: one of her patients has been relating dreams in which he has a hunger for a child who, when described, is the spitting image of Matthew. Detective Chief Inspector Karlsson starts taking Frieda's concerns seriously when a link emerges with an unsolved abduction twenty years ago and he summons Frieda to interview the victim's sister, hoping she can stir hidden memories. Before long, Frieda is at the centre of the investigation. She must chase down the darkest paths of a psychopath's mind to find the answers to Matthew Farraday's whereabouts. And sometimes the mind is the deadliest place to lose yourself.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0718154959, 1405911425

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,666,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible