Soft Target by Stephen Hunter

Soft Target (2011)

by Stephen Hunter

Series: Ray Cruz (2)

171669,515 (3)2

Hunter was one of my favorite authors in the past. His Bob Lee Swagger series were great. I think he has lost his passion for story-telling, it seems like he is just phoning it in now, counting on his past reputation to sell books. This particular book was awful. ( )
  1Randal | Aug 25, 2014 |
  1Randal | Aug 25, 2014 |
A group of terrorists take over the Mall of America in Minnesota during the Christmas rush.

Some see this as an opportunity to advance their careers but Marine sniper, Ray Cruz is one of the few who takes positive action.

Well written and suspenseful. ( )
  mikedraper | Jan 27, 2013 |
Radical Islamic terrorists take over the largest shopping mall in America where Ray Cruz, a retired military sniper, and his fiancee are shopping. They violently hold more than a thousand hostages, and make demands. The leader is ruthlessly cold-blooded with no concern at all for human life, and so are his very young Somalian followers. Yet, not all of it is at it seems.

Cruz is able to hide with a few others, having been separated from those held in hostage. Unbeknown to the terrorist group, he makes his plan to stalk and kill them one-by-one, stealthily, quietly. In the meantime, the police force is outside, unaware of Cruz and what he's up to inside, making attempts at delicate negotiations to peacefully end the standoff with no loss of hostages, and Cruz, unaware of the negotiations, just might ruin it all.

This is a suspenseful, fast-paced read. The unique thing about this book is that the hero is not your ethnically ordinary American and he doesn't seem to be the only hero, although he is the main character hero but room is left for other characters. ( )
  atdCross | Nov 17, 2012 |
I keep reading Stephen Hunter and the only justification I can give is I like his characters. The basis for his stories are good, too, but I think if THAT story had been given to another writer, I would have enjoyed it much more. I was going to say "everyone would have enjoyed it more" but I don't like to include other people's opinions in mine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I keep trying to figure out what it is I don't like about his books and I think it's the dialogue. He seems to write like a 15 year old boy who's jacked up on bang, bang, shoot 'em up. Yes, I know Ray and Bob are heroes. Do we have to keep repeating it? I find myself skipping over multiple paragraphs to get back to the story. I know Bob is a backwoods southerner but geez - the dialogue. I think I have to let Stephen Hunter go. As much as I like his characters and his basic stories, for me - they're ruined by the dialogue the author writes. ( )
  bitsy08 | Jan 27, 2012 |

A follow-up to "Dead Zero" finds retired marine sergeant Ray Cruz confronting a band of terrorists who have taken over the Mall of America, where they begin to systematically execute more than one thousand hostages.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,327,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible