Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files by…

Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files (edition 2012)

by Jim Butcher

Member:darkpurpose
Title:Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 528 pages

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

English (83)  German (1)  All languages (84)
Overall, I liked Cold Days. It was a birthday present, so I didn't pick it out myself. After reading it, I have lukewarm feelings about the book, but on the whole I thought it was good.

It does have cool action sequences that work well, and Butcher is great at writing thrilling scenes. You will not see the twists coming, and they're good twists. But Butcher filled so many things into one plot that it made it difficult to suspect disbelief. Not as bad as some other books I've read, but it still could have been more realistic.

The relationship of Harry and Karrin is iffy. I don't really understand her doubts about him.

I liked the book, but didn't love it. It's standard Butcher material, so if you're a fan, you'll probably like it. ( )
  karencase | Sep 8, 2014 |
This one makes me wish there were half stars - it's not a 3 and it's not a 4 either... ( )
  kwbridge | Sep 6, 2014 |
After reading all the previous novels from Harry Dresden series it's getting a little tiring. I guess there has to be a limit to author introducing new kinds of magical players - they are new to us but supposedly Harry always known about them. At some point it starts to defy our belief (ha-ha, as far as belief in fantasy book goes). Still, written as always well, a lot of action. I could live without some moralizing though that seems to be completely out of place. ( )
  everfresh1 | Sep 4, 2014 |
At this point in the series you really need to have read some of the previous books otherwise even all the infodumps will not keep you straight with everything that has happened in Harry's life. This book did leave me wanting to reread Summer Knight. And of course in the end it doesn't always come up roses for Harry. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Harry Dresden is still a funny character I can relate to. I don't like his new job as winter knight.

Things I liked:
Characters:
-Mac the mysterious bartender (gets injured but heals just fine, when his bar is attacked he fights back, won't tell about his background, makes a mean beer)
-Karrin the woman who can stand up to all the monsters (rides a harley, good shot, throws a grenade into the tug boat, has hidden the swords and won't tell Harry where they are)
-Mother Summer and Mother Winter having food in the cottage just after Mother Winter tries to kill Harry with a hatchet, Mother Summer walking with Harry to the battlefield and treating Harry like a grandmother
-Thomas who treats Harry like brothers do as they call each other names
-Harry who still bucks at authority as much as he can even when (especially when) it's against his own interest
-Hook (who would kindly just like to beat up Toot Toot)

Scenes:
-Lake Michigan when Harry creates an ice walkway
-the barge fight scene with three boats and the Outsiders
-the circle at the end with the ladies and Demonreach
-the Island (and Harry's knowledge of it)
-the prison
-the war at the edge of the world and the gate
-Harry's new car
-fight at the Botanic Gardens

Things I didn't like
-Molly is the new winter Lady
-Lily died and Fix (Summer knight) was obviously in love with her
-no real movement of plot regarding Maggie (Harry's daughter)
-I couldn't get a good read on what the outsiders looked like (which I take is sort of the point, but it still was a hole in my understanding)
-The winter court (I hate court politics)
-potential love triangle between Molly, Harry, and Karrin. I'm not sure I even like this being hinted at because Harry is Molly's mentor and she is/was his apprentice. She's too young, there's too much of a power imbalance and she has been crushing on him since she was a little kid. I would kind of like her to get over it. Anytime now. Karrin is closer to Harry's age and they are obviously both adults and on the same wavelength. It's not that Harry and Karrin need to be together, but Molly and Harry together is just weird. When did he go from "Uncle Harry" to potential match? Just creepy.

Overall thoughts:
I'm glad Karrin and Harry talked and reasonably discussed their future. There are good points made, but it's not an immature discussion with one of them running away like a child. It didn't seem forced. It seemed like an intelligent conversation that adults would have. (You know, if adults cared about magic and dark forces trying to take over the world.) I'm also glad he hasn't gone to the dark side of the winter knighthood, although I'm sure that will come up again in the next book. I wish he wasn't still the Winter Knight.
  zemiecho | May 21, 2014 |

Simmons, JoieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Chris Achterhof,
writer of ''Greed" (he'll know why after reading this),
and all my old gaming buddies in the International Fantasy Gaming Society.

You people are all silly, and you made the nineties a much brighter place.
Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, has unique ideas regarding physical therapy.

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn't all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, The Queen of Air and Darkness. after Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn't ab out to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first.

Of course, it won't be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could take out the entire midwest if not stopped.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, dodge the Great Hunt, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, kill an immortal or 20, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own -
his soul.
Hottie wizard dies,
Comes back stronger than before;
Saves the world again.

Following his death by a mystery assailant, Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own ... his soul.… (more)

232 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,657,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible