Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files by…

Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files (edition 2012)

by Jim Butcher

Title:Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 528 pages

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Recently added bysp126, Darvec, jaredhite1, Zikxed, INorris, Serdon, bokasafnhfj, Mortal_Elf, PBirgander, private library

English (97)  German (1)  All languages (98)
I realized that Jim Butcher writes episodes as if in a TV show, they have a main story with an underlying story arch. I feel like this is one of the aspects that keep the story interesting as there isn't a lull with filler information. This and the previous book, Ghost Story, goes away from the episode atmosphere as Harry being a PI and getting over his head. Now they are more true sequels focusing on the main story. Ghost Story went stale quickly, but Cold Days redeems the story a bit. While not as good as many of the previous books, this book was good.

One part that was confusing is that Ghost Story everybody was surprised or disbelieving that Harry Dresden's ghost was there, but now in Cold Days he is alive the majority of his companions just say "Hey, 'sup" (obviously simplifying). And all the issues that were affecting his companions In Ghost Story are not longer present and barely mentioned. (It almost seemed like Jim Butcher wanted to move away from events in Ghost Story and start fresh, which is okay in my opinion). ( )
  renbedell | Sep 17, 2015 |
Enjoyed as usual, including the Robert Frost quote. ( )
  chellerystick | Sep 12, 2015 |
Harry Dresden is tasked by Queen Mab with killing the Winter Lady, but in addition to the problem of finding out how one actually kills an immortal, Harry must also make sure that Maeve is truly the villain in the piece and that it isn't in fact Mab herself. We've come quite a long way since Harry the PI graced our pages, but I am enjoying the widening scope, even if I sometimes miss the old Harry. As White Knight he is still funny, though, so I'll absolutely continue to follow his adventures. The last installment wasn't great, but this one makes up for it and, overall, this is a high-quality series that I'll recommend to anyone who likes urban fantasy. ( )
  -Eva- | Jun 28, 2015 |
Good not great.

Butcher's later novels are busier and with more exposition than his earlier ones. And after the "groundbreaking" Changes, he appears to be struggling to find the story. Spending lots of time explaining what is happening in the verse, the plot, and who the villain is. Too much tell and not enough show.

Other quibbles include a vague discussion about homosexuality that felt out-of-place. Harry Dresden is discussing it with Titania - the Summer Queen of the Fae, who wonders if such an immoral action can possibly meet with Dresden's approval - they are meeting a the "homosexual/gay lover's lane of sorts". Dresden states its not up to him to decide. People should choose what they want. And he won't tell them what to do. I'm not exactly certain what Butcher is trying to say here. Nor do I want to think too much about it. Chose to believe Butcher was for homosexual rights as was Harry, but it can be read either way.

This is one of many mini-lectures or rambles ...another is on gender and how men and women think - with Harry ranting for about ten pages about how women are impossible to understand. Both conversations took me out of the story and made me want to shake the author.

The writer does do a good job of developing the supporting character of Molly, but appears to have hit a wall with Murphy and Thomas. Butters, however, is moving along as well. The most interesting characters though are Harry, Molly and Mab...which is a good thing since they are more or less front and center. Karrin Murphy is barely in this novel and seems to be relegated to "love interest"/"side-kick" and bares an astonishing physical resemblance to Sarah Michelle Geller's Buffy, complete with bump on the nose and stature and crazy strength.

Other than that I enjoyed the novel, but it's one of the weaker entries. Better than Ghost Story and Fool Moon and Death Masks, but not as good as the rest. Here's hoping the next entry in the series is better. ( )
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
I was delightfully confused and overwhelmed reading Cold Days. It is a mystery to me how Jim Butcher manages to put Harry Dresden in situations with no way out of them and then find a way out of them, leaving me feeling completely brainwashed. Thanks for that!

I did immensely enjoy the book. I love how the story is finally going back to the beginning, making me want to re-read the series all over again. Unimaginable things have been put into motion and figuring them out is quite intriguing.

I loved the storyline of Cold Days - the courts and politics and faeries...

I have never been a fan of Murphy, but I have noticed she is not Murphy any more, but Karrin, and I find it very sweet.

And even though Harry Dresden says he is not into Molly, I really hope for some steam there! Because THINGS. HAVE. BEEN. PUT. IN. MOTION! ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comCover imagessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chris Achterhof,
writer of ''Greed" (he'll know why after reading this),
and all my old gaming buddies in the International Fantasy Gaming Society.

You people are all silly, and you made the nineties a much brighter place.
Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, has unique ideas regarding physical therapy.

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn't all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, The Queen of Air and Darkness. after Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn't ab out to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first.

Of course, it won't be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could take out the entire midwest if not stopped.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, dodge the Great Hunt, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, kill an immortal or 20, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own -
his soul.
Hottie wizard dies,
Comes back stronger than before;
Saves the world again.

Following his death by a mystery assailant, Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own ... his soul.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,718,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible