Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Info:Roc (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, Brooklyn Collection, Series
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Series

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

English (92)  German (1)  All languages (93)
Every one of these Dresden books is the same. They all blur together. I have no way to tell them apart. I've read about 6 of these books, and they really are pretty good. But, they are all in the average category. None of them stand out as really that awesome.

After reading this particular book, I was like, that was okay, I guess. I mean, If I could time-travel, I probably wouldn't actually bother to go back in time and NOT read it. Okay, maybe I would. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
Kringle: best character ever. ( )
  Talbin | Feb 19, 2015 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

What can I possibly say about a Dresden Files novel that I haven’t said in one of my other 13 reviews? Not much.

Butcher brings the same great characters and world-building to the table as he always does in this installment. He (somehow) manages to up to the ante yet again, creating a tense and fast-paced plot that follows Harry on another dangerous and wacky adventure compressed into an absurdly short time period (one day this time!). He pulls together and adds to plot threads that were woven into installments ten plus books ago and manages to keep them fairly coherent, consistent, and interesting. He builds even more complexity into his overarching story-verse and sets off major events that will reverberate for books to come.

There was nothing surprising about this novel, really — and that was a good thing. I was a little let down by Ghost Story, if you remember, because it very much felt like the boring interim between two important arcs in the Dresden-verse: everything that happened before Changes and everything that will happen after. This book was the first installment of that “after,” and it was quite a doozy. Butcher completely makes up for the somewhat slow pacing of Ghost Story in this book, and the plot jumps right back into all the action and super-high stakes that the series is so good at.

I’m looking forward to watching the rest of the series progress from this book on, as Cold Days was definitely a fairly high point in the books, and, much like Grave Peril way back when, promises of even greater things to come.

Another excellent Dresden Files novel all around! ( )
  TherinKnite | Jan 30, 2015 |
So far I have been continually amazed at how Butcher has built on each previous novel with something bigger, bolder, and ultimately better. Harry is now one step from immortal after coming back from the dead and is dealing with some extremely dangerous beings, some of which are immortal themselves. Butcher continues to be a master at weaving a tight plot with excellent characters, a lot of tension, a dose of humor, and a sense of building something that you know is coming which will be even better with each new novel. Cannot wait for the next one..... ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 15, 2014 |
A far cry better than the previous book, Ghost Story. This hearkened back to the three or four books leading into Changes -- lots of action, good interplay between Harry and Murph, the return of Toot... lots of twists and turns, and a very unexpected ending that will leave you absolutely stunned.

That's all I'll say... Spoilers, sweetie...
  ajohnson2371 | Nov 7, 2014 |

Simmons, JoieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Chris Achterhof,
writer of ''Greed" (he'll know why after reading this),
and all my old gaming buddies in the International Fantasy Gaming Society.

You people are all silly, and you made the nineties a much brighter place.
Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, has unique ideas regarding physical therapy.

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn't all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, The Queen of Air and Darkness. after Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn't ab out to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first.

Of course, it won't be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could take out the entire midwest if not stopped.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, dodge the Great Hunt, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, kill an immortal or 20, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own -
his soul.
Hottie wizard dies,
Comes back stronger than before;
Saves the world again.

Following his death by a mystery assailant, Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own ... his soul.… (more)

232 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,244,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible