Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel by Jim…

Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel (edition 2012)

by Jim Butcher

Member:Woebane
Title:Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Orbit (2012), Hardcover, 528 pages
Rating:*****

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

English (96)  German (1)  All languages (97)
Harry Dresden is tasked by Queen Mab with killing the Winter Lady, but in addition to the problem of finding out how one actually kills an immortal, Harry must also make sure that Maeve is truly the villain in the piece and that it isn't in fact Mab herself. We've come quite a long way since Harry the PI graced our pages, but I am enjoying the widening scope, even if I sometimes miss the old Harry. As White Knight he is still funny, though, so I'll absolutely continue to follow his adventures. The last installment wasn't great, but this one makes up for it and, overall, this is a high-quality series that I'll recommend to anyone who likes urban fantasy. ( )
  -Eva- | Jun 28, 2015 |
Good not great.

Butcher's later novels are busier and with more exposition than his earlier ones. And after the "groundbreaking" Changes, he appears to be struggling to find the story. Spending lots of time explaining what is happening in the verse, the plot, and who the villain is. Too much tell and not enough show.

Other quibbles include a vague discussion about homosexuality that felt out-of-place. Harry Dresden is discussing it with Titania - the Summer Queen of the Fae, who wonders if such an immoral action can possibly meet with Dresden's approval - they are meeting a the "homosexual/gay lover's lane of sorts". Dresden states its not up to him to decide. People should choose what they want. And he won't tell them what to do. I'm not exactly certain what Butcher is trying to say here. Nor do I want to think too much about it. Chose to believe Butcher was for homosexual rights as was Harry, but it can be read either way.

This is one of many mini-lectures or rambles ...another is on gender and how men and women think - with Harry ranting for about ten pages about how women are impossible to understand. Both conversations took me out of the story and made me want to shake the author.

The writer does do a good job of developing the supporting character of Molly, but appears to have hit a wall with Murphy and Thomas. Butters, however, is moving along as well. The most interesting characters though are Harry, Molly and Mab...which is a good thing since they are more or less front and center. Karrin Murphy is barely in this novel and seems to be relegated to "love interest"/"side-kick" and bares an astonishing physical resemblance to Sarah Michelle Geller's Buffy, complete with bump on the nose and stature and crazy strength.

Other than that I enjoyed the novel, but it's one of the weaker entries. Better than Ghost Story and Fool Moon and Death Masks, but not as good as the rest. Here's hoping the next entry in the series is better. ( )
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
I was delightfully confused and overwhelmed reading Cold Days. It is a mystery to me how Jim Butcher manages to put Harry Dresden in situations with no way out of them and then find a way out of them, leaving me feeling completely brainwashed. Thanks for that!

I did immensely enjoy the book. I love how the story is finally going back to the beginning, making me want to re-read the series all over again. Unimaginable things have been put into motion and figuring them out is quite intriguing.

I loved the storyline of Cold Days - the courts and politics and faeries...

I have never been a fan of Murphy, but I have noticed she is not Murphy any more, but Karrin, and I find it very sweet.

And even though Harry Dresden says he is not into Molly, I really hope for some steam there! Because THINGS. HAVE. BEEN. PUT. IN. MOTION! ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
Warning! While I give no spoilers about this particular book, beware huge spoilers ahead if you have not read the books previous to this one. This is your only warning.

Harry Dresden is a wizard and Warden of the White Council, a private investigator, defender of the underdog, Winter Knight to Mab, Queen of Air and Darkness and, oh yeah, newly returned from the spirit world. Could his life get any more complicated? Don’t ask that.

Guest Reviewers

A ~ My 17-yr-old daughter
T ~ My 15-yr-old son
K ~ My 14-yr-old son

After the ending of Changes where Harry is shot and then Ghost Story where Harry is a ghost the relief we all felt that Harry was indeed back in the land of the living was massive. Harry’s return is not without trials and tribulations though. He is, after all, the Winter Knight to Mab. And he tried to wiggle his way out of his deal with her by dying. Is she happy with him? What do you think?

These books are getting harder and harder to review without giving away anything. I will say that we still love Harry and the inhabitants of his world. The plot, the humor, the fast pace are all spot on. The world that Harry is in now is getting darker and more violent and the story reflects that. The Harry of now has grown so much from the Harry of Storm Front, a gradual progression that is wonderful to witness. We very much look forward to continuing with Harry on his journey.

Narration: James Marsters once again delights. We can’t express how much we enjoy his narration of the world of Harry Dresden.

Favorite quotes:

About thirty feet from the door, Molly abruptly stopped in her tracks and said, "Harry."

I paused and looked back at her.

Her eyes were wide. She said, "I sense..."

I narrowed my eyes. "Say it. You know you want to say it."

"It is not a disturbance in the Force,” she said, her voice half-exasperated.
*************************************************​

“Thwart," I said. "To prevent someone from accomplishing something by means of visiting gratuitous violence upon his smarmy person."

"I'm pretty sure that isn't the definition." Sarissa said.

"It is today.” ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Apr 1, 2015 |
Every one of these Dresden books is the same. They all blur together. I have no way to tell them apart. I've read about 6 of these books, and they really are pretty good. But, they are all in the average category. None of them stand out as really that awesome.

After reading this particular book, I was like, that was okay, I guess. I mean, If I could time-travel, I probably wouldn't actually bother to go back in time and NOT read it. Okay, maybe I would. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |

Simmons, JoieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Chris Achterhof,
writer of ''Greed" (he'll know why after reading this),
and all my old gaming buddies in the International Fantasy Gaming Society.

You people are all silly, and you made the nineties a much brighter place.
Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, has unique ideas regarding physical therapy.

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn't all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, The Queen of Air and Darkness. after Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn't ab out to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first.

Of course, it won't be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could take out the entire midwest if not stopped.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, dodge the Great Hunt, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, kill an immortal or 20, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own -
his soul.
Hottie wizard dies,
Comes back stronger than before;
Saves the world again.

Following his death by a mystery assailant, Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own ... his soul.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,391,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible