Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Info:Roc (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 528 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fantasy

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

2012 (20) 2013 (11) audiobook (8) Chicago (28) detective (16) Dresden (17) Dresden Files (78) ebook (24) faerie (22) fairies (12) fantasy (156) fiction (69) hardcover (14) Harry Dresden (23) Kindle (12) magic (50) mystery (39) novel (9) paranormal (14) read (9) read in 2012 (12) read in 2013 (13) series (20) sff (15) signed (9) supernatural (17) to-read (45) urban fantasy (125) vampires (23) wizards (51)

English (76)  German (1)  All languages (77)
Cold Days
4.5 Stars

Harrys Dresden is now the Winter Knight and if that isn’t problematic enough, Mab has an assignment for him, something that does not bode at all well. To top it all off, someone or something, is planning on destroying Harry’s island, an act that will apparently take out Chicago and half of the Midwest. As always, Harry has his hands full, but with the help of allies, old and new, he may just save the day … or die trying … again!

Harry is nothing if not entertaining and Cold Days lives up to expectations with all the twists and turns not to mention the shocking revelations … I so was not expecting half of what happened!

Harry is the same as always, endearing, self-depricating and slightly sexist, despite the burden of the Winter Mantle. His reunions with Thomas, Murphy, Molly and Mouse are brilliant and the way he manages to maneuver around Mab and the other Sidhe makes for exciting reading.

Nevertheless, one thing that bugged me (at resulted in the loss of 0.5 stars) is the new direction Butcher is taking the overall story arc. Not a fan!

In sum, Harry and company never fail to amuse and I’m looking forward to their further adventures in May. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 9, 2014 |
??Donƒ??t chat. Kill it.ƒ?

This installment is frantically-paced ƒ?? after Harry recovers from his recent trauma, he has only one day to save the world. Fortunately, heƒ??s got plenty of badass friends. THE DRESDEN FILES keeps getting darker, but Butcher relieves the tension by continuing to deliver the humor we love. Harry is worried that he might be evolving into a bad guy, but the reader knows that as long as heƒ??s cracking jokes and making geeky allusions, all will be wellƒ?? I hope. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Another installment in the Harry Dresden series. Entertaining, fast paced, although I am finding it a bit hard to tell the various fairies apart. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was fast paced and kept moving at a steady speed. While I finished it today, this book will also blow your mind, which Jim Butcher has started doing with the endings of his books. While I am usually a book behind what is out I now have to wait for the next book. I can't wait to see what Harry does next. ( )
  poetryfreak38 | Mar 21, 2014 |
All I can, and want to say, is dammit, when is the next one coming out. ( )
1 vote halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Chris Achterhof,
writer of ''Greed" (he'll know why after reading this),
and all my old gaming buddies in the International Fantasy Gaming Society.

You people are all silly, and you made the nineties a much brighter place.
Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, has unique ideas regarding physical therapy.

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn't all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, The Queen of Air and Darkness. after Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn't ab out to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first.

Of course, it won't be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could take out the entire midwest if not stopped.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, dodge the Great Hunt, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, kill an immortal or 20, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own -
his soul.
Hottie wizard dies,
Comes back stronger than before;
Saves the world again.

Following his death by a mystery assailant, Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own ... his soul.… (more)

232 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible